Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Neocon
    • By Neocon 18th Jun 17, 9:50 PM
    • 18Posts
    • 3Thanks
    Neocon
    Tried to withdraw cash from nationwide. No cash. Account debited. Serious trouble
    • 18th Jun 17, 9:50 PM
    Tried to withdraw cash from nationwide. No cash. Account debited. Serious trouble 18th Jun 17 at 9:50 PM
    I tried to withdraw £90 from a cash machine yesterday. The cash didn't come out but my account was debited.

Called Nationwide and they said yes, they were having problems with cash machines today, a few customers had had the same issue so they were aware this was happening. They would record it and have to carry out an audit of the machine, following which the money would be put back in my account. This would take around 19 days.

In the meantime, I have £26 to get to work for the next two weeks and to feed my family which is not enough. I need that money now.

I can't afford to get to work for the next two weeks and have no more annual leave so will be forced to take unpaid days.

I have practically no food in the cupboards and I have a family to feed.

I have no money coming into the house until the 30th.

I have explained this to Nationwide, they just keep saying it will take 19 days.

Surely they can check this quicker. Why am I out of pocket and now struggling for two weeks because of their faulty machines? Why do they get to keep my money while they confirm this. They were aware of the problem already. Surely they should put the money back in my account now, and then take as long as they damned please to review it. If it turns out I'm making the whole thing up for the sake of £90, turn it into an overdraft and take it out of my salary on the 30th.

How can a bank turn around and wash their hands of me when I have told them that I don't now have enough money to survive the next two weeks. Their suggested solution to me was to borrow some money from a family member. How dare they suggest that I inconvenience someone to help me to rectify their mistake? Even if I had a family member - how dare they suggest I get myself into debt?

To a lot of people, £90 might not be a critical amount of money. But it is to me. I simply cannot wait 19 days for this money. I need it now for essentials.
Page 1
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 18th Jun 17, 9:57 PM
    • 29,977 Posts
    • 18,984 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 18th Jun 17, 9:57 PM
    • 18th Jun 17, 9:57 PM
    Have you googled if Nationwide have an e,ergency cash option.

Could you into your local branch and say what happened, maybe speak to a branch manager ?
    Last edited by DCFC79; 18-06-2017 at 10:01 PM.
    Can people stop loaning money/being a guarator to family/friends, it rarely ends well and you lose out as your money is gone or you get shafted with being a guarantor.
    • Neocon
    • By Neocon 18th Jun 17, 10:01 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Neocon
    • 18th Jun 17, 10:01 PM
    • 18th Jun 17, 10:01 PM
    I am going to have to go into a branch tomorrow and refuse to leave until they sort something out. I don't have enough money to get through. I budget down to the penny (I have to!) and cannot lose £90 for 19 days!
    • Kim_13
    • By Kim_13 18th Jun 17, 10:49 PM
    • 1,240 Posts
    • 1,631 Thanks
    Kim_13
    • 18th Jun 17, 10:49 PM
    • 18th Jun 17, 10:49 PM
    Not exactly the same issue, but involving Nationwide and one of their cash machines: I was trying to pay in via one of their internal cash machines. Mid transaction, the machine malfunctioned and rebooted itself and the credit wasn't applied to my account. They completed the audit and returned the money the next morning.

I had to fill out a form myself detailing what happened, so I'd check to see whether they still have such a form - them 'making a note of it' doesn't seem foulproof or something that would have your case dealt with as swiftly as possible (surely they'd have to keep a record of the number of forms submitted, rather than notes made.)

As it's a known issue happening to more people, it's bound to take a bit longer, but 19 days is ridiculous.

I would be making it clear that you are prepared to go all the way to the Financial Ombudsman if the money is not returned sooner. This will cost them £550 in referral fees so they may as well just provide you with an interest free overdraft.
    Last edited by Kim_13; 18-06-2017 at 10:58 PM.
    Sealed Pot 10 #520 ~ ~£66.55/£100
    VSP 2017 #9 ~ £41.40/£250.00
    CCCC 2017 #1 ~ £179.71/£120.00
    EF #170 ~ £500
    Xmas 2017 #25 ~ £5/£365
    365 Day Penny Challenge #4 ~ £17.31/£667.95
    • Chalkius
    • By Chalkius 18th Jun 17, 11:03 PM
    • 77 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    Chalkius
    • 18th Jun 17, 11:03 PM
    • 18th Jun 17, 11:03 PM
    19 days is mad.Is that working days or Calendar?

You could potentially log a complaint as Kim_13 says with them, as it's it's an error on their end, then they are the ones who are responsible and they need to make it right. If it was the ATM owners fault that'd be different.
    • Geoff1963
    • By Geoff1963 19th Jun 17, 12:56 AM
    • 1,058 Posts
    • 668 Thanks
    Geoff1963
    • 19th Jun 17, 12:56 AM
    • 19th Jun 17, 12:56 AM
    Ask in the branch for an overdraft ( increase ) for the missing amount, which will be fully repaid in 30 days ; with the agreement that if they fork out your missing money before then, it is ended then, and interest-free.
    They might well say no, but get them to put it in writing.

What if you had tried to make a withdrawal, and got the money, but your account wasn't debited ? I bet they'd be wanting it back faster than 19 days.
    • Neocon
    • By Neocon 19th Jun 17, 5:21 AM
    • 18 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Neocon
    • 19th Jun 17, 5:21 AM
    • 19th Jun 17, 5:21 AM
    It's 19 calendar days.

I'll definitely be filing a complaint as the way they have just washed their hands of their mistake and how it has left me in serious trouble with potentially £26 for two weeks I think is disgusting. But that doesn't help me right now :-(
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 19th Jun 17, 7:54 AM
    • 18,445 Posts
    • 14,155 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 19th Jun 17, 7:54 AM
    • 19th Jun 17, 7:54 AM
    I find it hard to believe that they actually said 19 days, but even if they did in 99.99% of cases it won't take anywhere near as long as that, a week is plenty of time to resolve something like this. In the meantime, kick up a (polite but firm) fuss and keep kicking until they either put the money back into your account or give you the cash.

Edit: the post here from jones probably explains the 19 days http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=72716888&postcount=9
    Last edited by agrinnall; 19-06-2017 at 7:56 AM.
    • meer53
    • By meer53 19th Jun 17, 9:06 AM
    • 8,839 Posts
    • 12,820 Thanks
    meer53
    • 19th Jun 17, 9:06 AM
    • 19th Jun 17, 9:06 AM
    Just call them and ask for a temporary overdraft.
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 19th Jun 17, 10:42 AM
    • 6,862 Posts
    • 8,455 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    I am going to have to go into a branch tomorrow and refuse to leave until they sort something out. I don't have enough money to get through. I budget down to the penny (I have to!) and cannot lose £90 for 19 days!
    Originally posted by Neocon
    Can I suggest you don't get angry and arsey with them. Remain calm. Don't threaten them with a tantrum.

Suggest to them that under the terms of BCOBS 5.1.11 they should reimburse your account with the full amount involved until they can prove that you've not had the cash.

https://www.handbook.fca.org.uk/handbook/BCOBS/5/1.html
    • mt99
    • By mt99 19th Jun 17, 4:20 PM
    • 350 Posts
    • 155 Thanks
    mt99
    @peacefulwaters good advice
    • GingerFurball
    • By GingerFurball 19th Jun 17, 5:12 PM
    • 937 Posts
    • 885 Thanks
    GingerFurball
    19 days is mad.Is that working days or Calendar?

You could potentially log a complaint as Kim_13 says with them, as it's it's an error on their end, then they are the ones who are responsible and they need to make it right. If it was the ATM owners fault that'd be different.
    Originally posted by Chalkius
    The error isn't Nationwide's. There was a fault with the LINK network as a whole on Saturday, if the OP's account has been debited without cash being dispensed then that is the fault of LINK/ the ATM owner.

19 days (I believe the guidance is 15 working days) is how long the ATM owner has to get back to Nationwide to confirm the error.
    DEBT FREE!

Debt free by Xmas 2014: £3555.67/£4805.67 (73.99%)
    Debt free by Xmas 2015: £1250/£1250 (100.00%)
    • Heng Leng
    • By Heng Leng 19th Jun 17, 8:02 PM
    • 4,100 Posts
    • 1,254 Thanks
    Heng Leng
    The error isn't Nationwide's. There was a fault with the LINK network as a whole on Saturday, if the OP's account has been debited without cash being dispensed then that is the fault of LINK/ the ATM owner.

19 days (I believe the guidance is 15 working days) is how long the ATM owner has to get back to Nationwide to confirm the error.
    Originally posted by GingerFurball
    The OP has no contractual relationship with the ATM provider.

Ultimately, the OP has been debited incorrectly and Nationwide have to refund it.
    • maninthestreet
    • By maninthestreet 19th Jun 17, 10:08 PM
    • 15,095 Posts
    • 13,468 Thanks
    maninthestreet
    Can you borrow money from family or friends? What about credit cards?
    "You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 19th Jun 17, 10:54 PM
    • 7,465 Posts
    • 7,850 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    Or ask the employer for an advance on next period's wages/salary. It's presumably in their interest not to lose their employee for two weeks.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
    • Flobberchops
    • By Flobberchops 19th Jun 17, 11:22 PM
    • 553 Posts
    • 378 Thanks
    Flobberchops
    I'd be inclined to say this is the bank's responsibility - their gremlins or not, they have a duty of care toward their customers and should honour their commitments as part of the Link network.

I can think of three possibilities. A straight-up discretionary payment for distress and inconvenience, i.e. compensation of sorts. Or, an immediate advance on the missing money on the assumption the investigation will go in the customer's favour, and with the option to then remove the funds if customer negligence or fraud are decided likely. Third, a temporary overdraft strictly for the duration of the ATM dispute.

Either of the three options above is humanly possible, the difficulty will be finding a member of staff who both sympathises with you and has the empowerment to give you cash. How did the sit-in go?
    I work for a UK bank, but any comments made on this forum are solely my personal opinion. Caveat Emptor!
    • Neocon
    • By Neocon 19th Jun 17, 11:28 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Neocon
    I find it hard to believe that they actually said 19 days, but even if they did in 99.99% of cases it won't take anywhere near as long as that, a week is plenty of time to resolve something like this. In the meantime, kick up a (polite but firm) fuss and keep kicking until they either put the money back into your account or give you the cash.
    Originally posted by agrinnall
    It's weird but I called them again this because you had said you found it hard to believe, and I assumed they would fix it there and then, but they just said again that it would be19 days (well 17 as 2 have passed)

Left it an hour, called them again. Kicked up a polite but firm fuss. After a half hour phone call, they told me my account would be credited within four hours.

So I didn't go down there during my lunch break.

Kept on checking my account and as of now, 12 hours after the call, no money.

I think they just out and out lied to me to get me off the phone.
    • YorkshireBoy
    • By YorkshireBoy 19th Jun 17, 11:46 PM
    • 29,400 Posts
    • 17,188 Thanks
    YorkshireBoy
    It's weird but I called them again this because you had said you found it hard to believe, and I assumed they would fix it there and then, but they just said again that it would be19 days (well 17 as 2 have passed)

Left it an hour, called them again. Kicked up a polite but firm fuss. After a half hour phone call, they told me my account would be credited within four hours.

So I didn't go down there during my lunch break.

Kept on checking my account and as of now, 12 hours after the call, no money.

I think they just out and out lied to me to get me off the phone.
    Originally posted by Neocon
    So presumably you've spent this evening making your complaint about this misinformation today?...either via the online complaint form referenced here, or via secure message from your online area? Yes?

http://www.nationwide.co.uk/support/contact-us/make-a-complaint#tab:Makeacomplaint
    • Neocon
    • By Neocon 19th Jun 17, 11:58 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Neocon
    Yep I certainly have.
    • GingerFurball
    • By GingerFurball 20th Jun 17, 12:22 PM
    • 937 Posts
    • 885 Thanks
    GingerFurball
    The OP has no contractual relationship with the ATM provider.

Ultimately, the OP has been debited incorrectly and Nationwide have to refund it.
    Originally posted by Heng Leng
    Nationwide are entitled to check that the OP's story is true, which involves contacting the ATM owner for confirmation that the debit did/did not happen. This is the part that takes ages because the 3rd party ATM owner has up to 15 working days to respond.
    DEBT FREE!

Debt free by Xmas 2014: £3555.67/£4805.67 (73.99%)
    Debt free by Xmas 2015: £1250/£1250 (100.00%)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,790Posts Today

7,548Users online

Martin's Twitter