Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Natty68
    • By Natty68 18th Jun 17, 9:48 PM
    • 2,319Posts
    • 33,489Thanks
    Natty68
    Weekly Flylady Thread 19th June 2017
    • 18th Jun 17, 9:48 PM
    Weekly Flylady Thread 19th June 2017 18th Jun 17 at 9:48 PM

What is FLYLADY? Well, it's our version of the US flylady idea - but we work on the principle that housework is not fun, it's boring, can be time-consuming, is often thankless but, unfortunately, necessary. It's here on Old Style to provide the support we all need and to make the whole task easier and quicker. We also accept that, sometimes, life just gets on top of us and we can't keep up, maybe because we're time-poor, not in the best of health and/or we have littlies who need us. We are definitely NOT control freaks aiming for perfection and utterly spotless show-homes.

Welcome to the weekly Flylady Thread. You're more than welcome to join us in the everlasting battle against dust, grime and gibble. The aim of our thread is to make those onerous tasks less daunting, and to support each other - and to make time for the finer things in life!

Right now the thread is looking very quiet...but please do remember we have to abide by MSE rules; each post should, ideally, include some mention of flying.

Thank you Valli for last week's thread

It is your responsibility to read the forum rules, please follow them on this thread as Flylady has been here a LONG time and is a fabulous support and resource for lots of us. All posts should have some Flylady-related (ooh a compound adjective) content!

The idea is that even if you are really busy you don't need to fall off the wagon!

Every room comes back around next week so please don’t stress about catching up

These lists are only suggestions and not a must do list; you are more than welcome to post and follow your own lists.

Also adding a declutter mission each day will help to gradually clear the clutter and make flying easier.

A few of the basics before we start the week

Hotspots are areas where if one thing gets put there, loads of other things follow!

Daily routines are anything you need to do on a daily basis like washing, swish and swipe kitchen and bathroom, ironing, making beds, vacuuming high traffic areas, making meals etc.

Night-time routines are all things which make getting ready in the morning easier, preparing clothes for the next day, making lunches, swish & swipes of the kitchen and tidying the living room before you go to bed plus personals like shower/brush teeth etc.

Fling Boogie - stick on some loud music, grab a bin bag and whiz around the house finding items that can go out with the rubbish, recycling, for charity shop, basically anything that will stop it cluttering your home.

Swish and swipe/S&S means have a quick wipe over an area such as a sink or toilet to prevent the build up of dirt. This is usually done on a daily basis

HHE/HHC/HHI Half Hour exercise/challenge/ironing ... run around for 30 minutes to the Benny Hill music frantically cleaning exercising or ironing.. other music may be used if you prefer!
    WM ~ Washing machine
    TD ~ Tumble dryer
    SC ~ Slowcooker
    BM ~ Breadmaker
    DW ~ Dishwasher
    SOAADFA ~ Sit on 'bottom' and do 'nothing'
    KH/XH/FW ~ Ex-husband and other not so polite versions
    DH/DD/DS/DW/DP ~ Dear husband/daughter/son/wife/partner/whatever
    OH/SO ~ Other half/significant other
    NN ~ nice neighbour
    Toxic (friend/mother/sister/whoever) ~ person in your life that seems to exist to make your life miserable
    AF ~ Aunt Flo 'time of the month'.. nothing to do with flying but it comes up often.
    ETA ~ Edited to add
    Gibble ~ miscellaneous crap that appears forever homeless
    Dot-to-dot ~ pick a small area (not a whole room) like a chair/coffee/table/shelf/worktop or wherever- thats your first 'dot' - totally clear it - clean it - and only put back what should be there - deal with what you have removed (not just move it somewhere else) then if you have time move on and do the same to another 'dot' -the idea is just like a dot to dot puzzle, you aim to join up all the dots and have a tidy room. The trick is to keep each dot tidy until you get them all joined up! All credit to AnW's Mum for this one
    RoD ~ Room of Doom, the one room that feels like it is a permanent pit and cannot be used to its potential!

Mr S/A/T/M/L/Al - supermarkets Sainsburys, Asda, Tesco, Morrisons, Lidl, Aldi. You get the picture!!

Click here to read Toots wonderful welcome guide

Right here we go!!!

Happy Monday: Kitchen
    Level One

Remove floor gubbins. Yes, you, that pile over by the door. Does it live there? I think not!
    Now do the same with the unnecessary worktop clutter! There you go! Well done!
    Level Two
    Give the work tops and cupboard fronts your attention (with a cloth, don't flutter your eyelashes at them )
    Shine your sink, flylady basics
    Splash backs and greasy tiles? Yep, swish there too!
    Level Three
    Pop the bin and doormat outside, then sweep and mop your floor
    Wipe over the small appliances
    Extras:
    • Don't forget those MAD half hour's you started last week, keep plodding on with them this week. I'm not letting you get away from them..
    • Do you need to test your smoke alarms?
    • Wipe over your big appliances
    • Run the WM and/or DW on a hot wash to keep its insides happy
    • Count your baking tins and sheets. How many??? Do you really need all of them?

Cheerful Tuesday: Dining Room, Hall, Stairs, Landing
    Level One

Please be safe in this unbearable heat and only do what you can.....
    Dust from top to bottom
    Sweep or vacuum / mop -including stairs if you can, safety first please
    Level Two
    Scrub the table top and replace tablecloth if needed.
    Wipe a window or two
    Level Three
    Wipe the front door, inside and out
    Tidy or declutter a hotspot
    MAD half hour...
    Extras:
    • Collect stray laundry
    • HHI
    • Find homes for the coats and shoes that are hanging around
    • Consider summer childcare plans if applicable - only 5wks of term left here!

Whoopee Wednesday: Bathroom
    Level One

Keep cool in the heat, they are forecasting really hot weather for today.
    Let some fresh air in, pop the radio on
    Wash the sinks and loo, don't forget the pedestal
    Have a refreshing cool drink
    Level Two
    Clean the bath / shower
    Replace towels, sponges etc
    Wash the window
    Have a refreshing drink
    Level Three
    Wipe down the tiles
    Mop the floor
    Make sure to have a refreshing drink...
    Extras:
    • Wash out any grubby toothbrush holders / fill your soap dispenser
    • Do you need to wash the shower curtain / screen
    • Wipe down the door and disinfect the door handle
    • Have a bit of me time and use one of your many products
    • Drink PLENTY of fluids

Thankful Thursday: Bedroom(s)
    Level One

Start off clearing that floordrobe! Can any be flung?
    Then dewebbing and dusting the fluffy surfaces
    And then vacuum...
    Level Two
    Strip the bed. Air and turn the mattress if needed.
    Is it nice enough outside to get the duvet out to air? Hmm think I was having a hot flush when I wrote this out...lol
    Choose your brightest, sunniest bedding to replace.
    Level Three
    Wash a window or two
    Wipe door handles and light switches
    Dust your light fitting
    Extras:
    • Tidy a shelf or drawer
    • Have a mini fling boogie
    • Put any out of season stuff away
    • Make a brew, and just sit and be for a while!
    • MAD half hour doing anything productive!!

PLEASE BE CAREFUL IF IT IS TOO HOT WHERE YOU ARE. DRINK PLENTY and bear in mind it is going to be cooler from Friday onwards
    Last edited by Natty68; Yesterday at 10:42 PM.

Debt free as of 3rd May 2012
    But still struggling financially
Page 2
    • YORKSHIRELASS
    • By YORKSHIRELASS 19th Jun 17, 2:19 PM
    • 4,204 Posts
    • 33,764 Thanks
    YORKSHIRELASS
    Hi all

Home from paid stuff. Job applied for on DSs behalf, however, the questions you have to answer for even a basic minimum wage job are ridiculous. Sigh. WM on, DW on, quick tidy around. Now (reluctantly) on with the paid stuff for job no. 2.
    • Valli
    • By Valli 19th Jun 17, 2:34 PM
    • 19,840 Posts
    • 225,654 Thanks
    Valli

Don't forget those MAD half hour's you started last week, keep plodding on with them this week. I'm not letting you get away from them.. - no idea what this is?

Originally posted by MeandThe2
    MAD half hours are half an hour MAXIMUM on a 'Forth Bridge' (apparently as soon as the painters have finished they start again hence it's a never-ending job) task - where you work hard for hal-an-hour and Make A Difference.

Been on errand.
    Came home.
    Showered.
    Either my hot flushes have stopped or they are being masked by the weather
    either way I have had to change into dry, clean clothes
    Make two - and freeze one!
    Don't put it DOWN - put it AWAY!
    DEBT ATTACK - Debt to attack £6150.87 24/04/2017 £5584.11 22/06/2017
    • atypicalblonde
    • By atypicalblonde 19th Jun 17, 4:30 PM
    • 2,177 Posts
    • 12,558 Thanks
    atypicalblonde
    Massive item that has been clogging up the garage has been collected by local charity, woo hoo! They also took a few other bits whilst they were here Job for tomorrow (not today, too blinkin' warm) is to sweep out garage and do a tip trip with the remaining kibble.

It's recycling bin day tomorrow, so I'm off to fill it!
    MFW
    Mortgage 8.2.15 - £171,064.64 Mortgage 5.6.17 - £123,900
    Aiming to be MF 1.10.2020
    • Valli
    • By Valli 19th Jun 17, 4:38 PM
    • 19,840 Posts
    • 225,654 Thanks
    Valli
    ironing done *melt*

had the fan trained on me the whole time.
    • greent
    • By greent 19th Jun 17, 4:42 PM
    • 5,869 Posts
    • 59,329 Thanks
    greent
    ironing done *melt*

had the fan trained on me the whole time.
    Originally posted by Valli
    That's what I shall be doing later - DH unexpectedly working from home today and has run away with living room fan to use in the caravan, where he has set up base (we do have a home office - but neither of us use it - I use the dining table (and make people eat at the kitchen table instead) and he prefers the caravan! When he eventually finishes I shall set the fan back up in the living room and do some ironing with the patio doors also open behind me. I actually like ironing (find it therapeutic) but in this heat it's too much!
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) Bal 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Next: BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786. 2017 OPs (#18) £3000/£3286
    Net sales 2017 £657.00/£500 PAYDOX17 £9887/£10k Decluttered 865/2017 items
    • Honey Bear
    • By Honey Bear 19th Jun 17, 5:01 PM
    • 4,324 Posts
    • 43,765 Thanks
    Honey Bear
    Superking finished, shower room done, vacuumming done, masses of things sorted out, neighbour had a right old go at me, swiftly followed by OH chivvying me. My *slap reflex* is barely contained right now and if the neighbour returns for Round 2 I will, for the first time, show him the colour of my temper too. I've put up with his for over a decade and I've had enough.
    Keeping it AF
    • bossymoo
    • By bossymoo 19th Jun 17, 9:27 PM
    • 6,666 Posts
    • 84,741 Thanks
    bossymoo
    You tell him, HB xx

Gosh it's still baking here. Kids have been growled at for yabbering past bedtime. The little beggars snuck downstairs while I was putting the Guinea pigs away, and ended up running round the garden in their knickers, shrieking

Everything put away. Kitchen looking good. Even had a MAD half hour at those piles of drawings from nursery. I've recycled all DS exercise books from year one - no other teacher has ever given them. The rest can go too, once I've taken any nice photos out of them. I forgot what a little bruiser he was bless him, he looked like a two-year-old thug

Washing brought in and out away, DW loaded but forgot to switch on, it'll keep till morning now.

I've had a shower and washed my hair to cool off. Feel sweatier than ever, lol.

Night all xx
    Bossymoo
    Teetering on the edge...

Sealed Pot Challenge 10 - #91
    • FurryBeastOz
    • By FurryBeastOz 19th Jun 17, 10:00 PM
    • 1,104 Posts
    • 12,891 Thanks
    FurryBeastOz
    6) Clear kitchen mess resulting from above Basic clear up done. Deep clean needed tomorrow
    8) Upload outline crap CV to Careers website before counselling coversation on Wednesday
    Read website - nowhere to upload. Did some Character Assessments instead
    9) Read and do tasks in next chapter of The Artists Way before meeting tomorrow afternoon. The main task is A WEEK of no reading. Not going to happen in the forseeable future. I'd struggle with 24hrs
    10) Share at my AA meeting tonight. PREP for it.Done. Lots of positive feedback
    *** Debt Free***
    NST May NSD = 13/15
    Goals - Weight loss 4.6/23lbs from 1st Jan 17
    GC To 1/6/17 £1226.18/£3,000, 40.88/41.37% of the year.
    • Fayolle
    • By Fayolle 19th Jun 17, 10:18 PM
    • 180 Posts
    • 2,035 Thanks
    Fayolle
    Better late than never, right? I seem to be on super go slow with the weather.

Thank you Valli and Natty for the lists. I'll play catch up as usual.

I did my ironing pile at 6.30am ... It was the only time that I thought that I would be able to bear it! Towels have been washed and dried super fast on the line this evening. Kitchen is tidy-ish, rubbish out for the morning. Garden has been watered.

Upstairs is still simmering, DD is not a happy bunny. I can't say that I'm looking forward to my bed this evening.
    • FurryBeastOz
    • By FurryBeastOz 20th Jun 17, 6:50 AM
    • 1,104 Posts
    • 12,891 Thanks
    FurryBeastOz
    Morning all. Some, but not great progress yesterday. I was binge eating and did no exercise which plays hell with my head. Today I have PT at 0800 so that should at least kick things off.

1) PT
    2) 2 hrs dog walking. Helping out friend who does it for a job. I'll earn £10. Every little helps
    3) My 'Artists Way' partner is coming round. Update on what we have achieved/avoided.
    4) MUST upload CV for discussion at tomorrow's call
    5) Dark wash to do
    6) Re-plan meals. Ate crap yesterday so tonight is what I took out for me for last night. Also now out on Thursday.
    7) Clear and put away clean washing mountain.
    8) Hoover Stairs, Hall and Spare bedrooms
    9) Put away out of season clothing boxes I keep falling over.
    10) Get to bed at a sensible time. I didn't turn the light off until 2330 and was still awake at 0300. Not good. I need at least 7 hours.

Have a good day everyone.
    *** Debt Free***
    NST May NSD = 13/15
    • Mumof2
    • By Mumof2 20th Jun 17, 8:03 AM
    • 2,534 Posts
    • 38,875 Thanks
    Mumof2
    Morning all

FBO you're like me in that every little helps; I don't always earn very much for my typing but if I didn't do it I wouldn't earn anything so it makes sense doesn't it.

Bossy had to smile about the thought of your little ones running around in their knickers!

HB well done for not going for neighbour! Ten years is a long time to hold your temper though.

Greent I find ironing therapeutic too but don't have the benefit of a fan. Am quite determined to do my ironing pile this evening as kids need school tops.

Valli I like the idea of the MAD half hours; I need to do a few of them. I'm so hot all the time and taking multiple showers; GP says I'm peri-menopausal. I just seem not able to control the heat and end up so sweaty - hate it.

This morning I've been chivying DH to get his CV done and to finish the form for child tax credit as need to send it off £400 per month isn't to be sniffed at. Also suggested he contact someone he knows at where he used to work to see if he was successful in interview as 2 1/2 weeks ago now; they said they'd contact mid June but still nothing. It sucks.

Got a hot wash on, typing job to do and will look at the list. I am riding later but we're taking the horses in the horse box to a pub and then riding in the woods so will be out of the heat - otherwise we wouldn't take them out in this heat. Tonight S is playing cricket so just hoping it's a bit cooler by then.

• MeandThe2
    • By MeandThe2 20th Jun 17, 9:25 AM
    • 28 Posts
    • 95 Thanks
    MeandThe2
    Morning

Monday - Done

Was hoping for a productive day today but then remembered I was having my injection (medically induced menopause, injections every 3 weeks) and intensive physio later so my body will be letting me down today

Did manage to pick up washing from around house, sort sch trip & nursery photo money/forms out, fill car up with petrol & air and do remaining pots. Will do bits of the list as/when I can but it's going to be a very long slow day
    • pigpen
    • By pigpen 20th Jun 17, 9:52 AM
    • 35,809 Posts
    • 461,582 Thanks
    pigpen
    DD1 dispatched on the school trip.. she is accompanying Pixie .. I was told I couldn't take Twinkle so asked DD1 to go then at least 3 other parents took their under 3's with them so I am a bit miffed if I am honest.

DS3 opticians at 11:30 and I have parcels to post.. need to package 2 up first though.

Much nicer here today

Deceased pigeon removed from the garden.

Now to make a cuppa and feed Twinkle her breakfast.
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    06/06/2017 £56823.12 (5.15% int.)
    • Mumof2
    • By Mumof2 20th Jun 17, 10:29 AM
    • 2,534 Posts
    • 38,875 Thanks
    Mumof2
    Nicer here today too Pigpen but there is a bit of a breeze. Plus I've sat completely still just typing after a cool shower (and am braless - SOOO much more comfy). But in a minute got to pop bra on and pull on jodhpurs and long leather boots so think my time of feeling cool is about up lol!

Typing all done and am hoping I'll be able to get the towels out on the line before I have to go. Can I be honest and say I haven't even looked at the list yet BUT as soon as I get back I will do and honestly will do what I can from it before S home from school, tea and cricket etc. The time goes so quickly it scares me.

Meandthe2 oh that injection doesn't sound good; hope you're not too uncomfortable later

• Valli
    • By Valli 20th Jun 17, 3:36 PM
    • 19,840 Posts
    • 225,654 Thanks
    Valli
    Since I did the kitchen at the weekend I am going off-piste today and doing the bathroom - not least because the towels can be line dried.

At the moment I am doing a MAD on the paperwork heap.
    • Valli
    • By Valli 20th Jun 17, 3:42 PM
    • 19,840 Posts
    • 225,654 Thanks
    Valli
    [QUOTE=Valli;72724331]Since I did the kitchen at the weekend I am going off-piste today and doing the bathroom - not least because the towels can be line dried.

At the moment I am doing a MAD on the paperwork heap.

The thread is so quiet I am beginning to worry...
    • atypicalblonde
    • By atypicalblonde 20th Jun 17, 3:54 PM
    • 2,177 Posts
    • 12,558 Thanks
    atypicalblonde
    I'm here

Done eleventy billion things today but the house still looks a tip! DD has a friend for tea so they are currently playing in / trashing her room. I will take the opportunity to re-home loads of kibble.

On the plus side I did do a tip run and a much needed trip to the post office this morning, plus stick a wash on

Hope everyone is well xx
    MFW
    Mortgage 8.2.15 - £171,064.64 Mortgage 5.6.17 - £123,900
    Aiming to be MF 1.10.2020
    • FurryBeastOz
    • By FurryBeastOz 20th Jun 17, 5:57 PM
    • 1,104 Posts
    • 12,891 Thanks
    FurryBeastOz
    1) PT
    2) 2 hrs dog walking. Helping out friend who does it for a job. I'll earn £10. Every little helps
    3) My 'Artists Way' partner is coming round. Update on what we have achieved/avoided. He postponed to Thursday
    4) MUST upload CV for discussion at tomorrow's call
    5) Dark wash to do
    6) Re-plan meals. Ate crap yesterday so tonight is what I took out for me for last night. Also now out on Thursday.
    10) Get to bed at a sensible time. I didn't turn the light off until 2330 and was still awake at 0300. Not good. I need at least 7 hours.

Progress. Not great considering I've had 3 extra hours. BUT I missed the most important thing of the list - submit ACAS form. DONE
    *** Debt Free***
    NST May NSD = 13/15
    • FurryBeastOz
    • By FurryBeastOz 20th Jun 17, 6:54 PM
    • 1,104 Posts
    • 12,891 Thanks
    FurryBeastOz
    5) Dark wash to do

HH DTD Progress
    *** Debt Free***
    NST May NSD = 13/15
    • bossymoo
    • By bossymoo 20th Jun 17, 6:57 PM
    • 6,666 Posts
    • 84,741 Thanks
    bossymoo
    Howdy

Not sure where today went tbh, I've been home all day but not sure what I've done. Hutch cleaned, hall emptied for carpet measuring, garage tidied, another MAD done. Oh, shopping put away, sofa throws washed and dried, diary sorted.

Nothing productive lol.

Last day at college tomorrow, have prepared a leaving day activity and bought some macarons.

Going to scrub some little teeth now lol
    Bossymoo
    Teetering on the edge...

Sealed Pot Challenge 10 - #91
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,566Posts Today

8,759Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @kcbelsham: @MartinSLewis . This Account would have to pay at least 12% to achieve £1 million in 35 years . Any ideas ( think it is impo?

• Really? The highest interest rate amount for that volume of cash currently is 2%? You'd need an interest rate explo? https://t.co/6YRk1wLdTl

• Today's Twitter poll: Is it acceptable to take your shirt off and go topless in the street when it's scorching in the UK?

• Follow Martin