Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Natty68
    • By Natty68 18th Jun 17, 9:48 PM
    • 2,405Posts
    • 34,612Thanks
    Natty68
    Weekly Flylady Thread 19th June 2017
    • 18th Jun 17, 9:48 PM
    Weekly Flylady Thread 19th June 2017 18th Jun 17 at 9:48 PM

What is FLYLADY? Well, it's our version of the US flylady idea - but we work on the principle that housework is not fun, it's boring, can be time-consuming, is often thankless but, unfortunately, necessary. It's here on Old Style to provide the support we all need and to make the whole task easier and quicker. We also accept that, sometimes, life just gets on top of us and we can't keep up, maybe because we're time-poor, not in the best of health and/or we have littlies who need us. We are definitely NOT control freaks aiming for perfection and utterly spotless show-homes.

Welcome to the weekly Flylady Thread. You're more than welcome to join us in the everlasting battle against dust, grime and gibble. The aim of our thread is to make those onerous tasks less daunting, and to support each other - and to make time for the finer things in life!

Right now the thread is looking very quiet...but please do remember we have to abide by MSE rules; each post should, ideally, include some mention of flying.

Thank you Valli for last week's thread

It is your responsibility to read the forum rules, please follow them on this thread as Flylady has been here a LONG time and is a fabulous support and resource for lots of us. All posts should have some Flylady-related (ooh a compound adjective) content!

The idea is that even if you are really busy you don't need to fall off the wagon!

Every room comes back around next week so please donít stress about catching up

These lists are only suggestions and not a must do list; you are more than welcome to post and follow your own lists.

Also adding a declutter mission each day will help to gradually clear the clutter and make flying easier.

A few of the basics before we start the week

Hotspots are areas where if one thing gets put there, loads of other things follow!

Daily routines are anything you need to do on a daily basis like washing, swish and swipe kitchen and bathroom, ironing, making beds, vacuuming high traffic areas, making meals etc.

Night-time routines are all things which make getting ready in the morning easier, preparing clothes for the next day, making lunches, swish & swipes of the kitchen and tidying the living room before you go to bed plus personals like shower/brush teeth etc.

Fling Boogie - stick on some loud music, grab a bin bag and whiz around the house finding items that can go out with the rubbish, recycling, for charity shop, basically anything that will stop it cluttering your home.

Swish and swipe/S&S means have a quick wipe over an area such as a sink or toilet to prevent the build up of dirt. This is usually done on a daily basis

HHE/HHC/HHI Half Hour exercise/challenge/ironing ... run around for 30 minutes to the Benny Hill music frantically cleaning exercising or ironing.. other music may be used if you prefer!
    WM ~ Washing machine
    TD ~ Tumble dryer
    SC ~ Slowcooker
    BM ~ Breadmaker
    DW ~ Dishwasher
    SOAADFA ~ Sit on 'bottom' and do 'nothing'
    KH/XH/FW ~ Ex-husband and other not so polite versions
    DH/DD/DS/DW/DP ~ Dear husband/daughter/son/wife/partner/whatever
    OH/SO ~ Other half/significant other
    NN ~ nice neighbour
    Toxic (friend/mother/sister/whoever) ~ person in your life that seems to exist to make your life miserable
    AF ~ Aunt Flo 'time of the month'.. nothing to do with flying but it comes up often.
    ETA ~ Edited to add
    Gibble ~ miscellaneous crap that appears forever homeless
    Dot-to-dot ~ pick a small area (not a whole room) like a chair/coffee/table/shelf/worktop or wherever- thats your first 'dot' - totally clear it - clean it - and only put back what should be there - deal with what you have removed (not just move it somewhere else) then if you have time move on and do the same to another 'dot' -the idea is just like a dot to dot puzzle, you aim to join up all the dots and have a tidy room. The trick is to keep each dot tidy until you get them all joined up! All credit to AnW's Mum for this one
    RoD ~ Room of Doom, the one room that feels like it is a permanent pit and cannot be used to its potential!

Mr S/A/T/M/L/Al - supermarkets Sainsburys, Asda, Tesco, Morrisons, Lidl, Aldi. You get the picture!!

Click here to read Toots wonderful welcome guide

Right here we go!!!

Happy Monday: Kitchen
    Level One

Remove floor gubbins. Yes, you, that pile over by the door. Does it live there? I think not!
    Now do the same with the unnecessary worktop clutter! There you go! Well done!
    Level Two
    Give the work tops and cupboard fronts your attention (with a cloth, don't flutter your eyelashes at them )
    Shine your sink, flylady basics
    Splash backs and greasy tiles? Yep, swish there too!
    Level Three
    Pop the bin and doormat outside, then sweep and mop your floor
    Wipe over the small appliances
    Extras:
    • Don't forget those MAD half hour's you started last week, keep plodding on with them this week. I'm not letting you get away from them..
    • Do you need to test your smoke alarms?
    • Wipe over your big appliances
    • Run the WM and/or DW on a hot wash to keep its insides happy
    • Count your baking tins and sheets. How many??? Do you really need all of them?

Cheerful Tuesday: Dining Room, Hall, Stairs, Landing
    Level One

Please be safe in this unbearable heat and only do what you can.....
    Dust from top to bottom
    Sweep or vacuum / mop -including stairs if you can, safety first please
    Level Two
    Scrub the table top and replace tablecloth if needed.
    Wipe a window or two
    Level Three
    Wipe the front door, inside and out
    Tidy or declutter a hotspot
    MAD half hour...
    Extras:
    • Collect stray laundry
    • HHI
    • Find homes for the coats and shoes that are hanging around
    • Consider summer childcare plans if applicable - only 5wks of term left here!

Whoopee Wednesday: Bathroom
    Level One

Keep cool in the heat, they are forecasting really hot weather for today.
    Let some fresh air in, pop the radio on
    Wash the sinks and loo, don't forget the pedestal
    Have a refreshing cool drink
    Level Two
    Clean the bath / shower
    Replace towels, sponges etc
    Wash the window
    Have a refreshing drink
    Level Three
    Wipe down the tiles
    Mop the floor
    Make sure to have a refreshing drink...
    Extras:
    • Wash out any grubby toothbrush holders / fill your soap dispenser
    • Do you need to wash the shower curtain / screen
    • Wipe down the door and disinfect the door handle
    • Have a bit of me time and use one of your many products
    • Drink PLENTY of fluids

Thankful Thursday: Bedroom(s)
    Level One

Start off clearing that floordrobe! Can any be flung?
    Then dewebbing and dusting the fluffy surfaces
    And then vacuum...
    Level Two
    Strip the bed. Air and turn the mattress if needed.
    Is it nice enough outside to get the duvet out to air? Hmm think I was having a hot flush when I wrote this out...lol
    Choose your brightest, sunniest bedding to replace.
    Level Three
    Wash a window or two
    Wipe door handles and light switches
    Dust your light fitting
    Extras:
    • Tidy a shelf or drawer
    • Have a mini fling boogie
    • Put any out of season stuff away
    • Make a brew, and just sit and be for a while!
    • MAD half hour doing anything productive!!

PLEASE BE CAREFUL IF IT IS TOO HOT WHERE YOU ARE. DRINK PLENTY and bear in mind it is going to be cooler from Friday onwards

Phew it's Friday: Living a Room and catch up
    Level One

Dust and deweb - lots of spiddeys around at the moment!!!!
    Sweep / vac - maybe get the tools out and do the edges and skirting?
    Level Two
    Polish a mirror and wipe a window
    Sofa - vac again? Or a wipe?
    Declutter a hotspot
    Level Three
    Catch up - do you need to S&S the sink again?
    Catch up - any piles of gubbins starting to regrow?
    Catch up - bills / paperwork / phonecalls?
    Extras:
    • Fling 5 things
    • Plan something nice for the weekend
    • Have some time outdoors
    • HHI
    Last edited by Natty68; 22-06-2017 at 10:51 PM.

Struggling financially

Mortgage Free as of 20.9.17
Page 1
    • ionafan
    • By ionafan 18th Jun 17, 10:19 PM
    • 2,266 Posts
    • 33,886 Thanks
    ionafan
    • 18th Jun 17, 10:19 PM
    • 18th Jun 17, 10:19 PM
    Thanks for setting us up for the coming week, Natty. Hope all is going well for you and your DH (and belated Happy Anniversary xx)

Valli, thanks for last week's lists. I didn't manage much except MAD half hours, but by doing 3 more of those this evening back-to-back I have almost finished painting the fence panels.

I was on placement this morning and acting as chauffeur to DH and guest this afternoon. guess where? Another NT property! Got to make the most of my membership
    I have also done WMx2 and the kitchen dailies, and cooked a roast dinner which got a big thumbs up

Tomorrow I shall be home alone - bliss! - so that I can get on with college work, while DH takes his guest to the big city museum/art gallery to see some old bits of jewellery that were dug up in a field not a million miles from here a few years back

Fluffy mules at the ready to lob in your direction, FBO.
    Glad your OH liked his presents, pigpen.
    Bossy, I wouldn't paint 13 doors either!
    Hope Poppet is better soon, Jazee.
    Sorry HB, but I don't think I can love seagulls - they make even more noise than jackdaws!

Hope everyone has a good week x
    • lynnejk
    • By lynnejk 18th Jun 17, 10:29 PM
    • 5,049 Posts
    • 52,457 Thanks
    lynnejk
    • 18th Jun 17, 10:29 PM
    • 18th Jun 17, 10:29 PM
    Evening everyone

Thank you Valli and Natty for the lists

We are away for a few days to Glasgow, so I won't be doing much this week. Will have to run round and do a quick general dust and floors later in the week.

Hugs, sticks and spoons to those needing some
    Hope you all have a lovely half a week and 'see' you when I'm back
    Lx
    £10day..2014=3213..2015=3421..2016=3238..2017=2370....DEC=253.93/310
    GrocC..2014=2162..2015=2083..2016=2181..2017=1800....DEC=97.40/200
    Bulk buy.......DEC=101.44
    GC.NSD....2015=216....2016=213....2017=191....DEC=2/15
    SPC130x60...2014=1178...2015=1287...2016=4616...2017=3843.51
    OS WL= -4/8 ......CC =00......Savings = £10,250
    • Duckydo
    • By Duckydo 18th Jun 17, 10:54 PM
    • 100 Posts
    • 1,103 Thanks
    Duckydo
    • 18th Jun 17, 10:54 PM
    • 18th Jun 17, 10:54 PM
    I'm in again this week. I might have stopped posting the later end of the week, but flying continued and I actually achieved cleaning in every room of the house last week. Today has just been a battle to keep cool, though I did make the mistake of going onto the loft to look for the paddling pool , after 2 attempts I gave up and ordered a cheap one to pick up first thing tomorrow. DD's bedroom is still reading 27oC!!
    • pigpen
    • By pigpen 19th Jun 17, 12:59 AM
    • 36,166 Posts
    • 466,179 Thanks
    pigpen
    • 19th Jun 17, 12:59 AM
    • 19th Jun 17, 12:59 AM
    Sat here in my nightie feeling a bit like a beer swilling fat couch potato ... I am so classy!!

boys distressed with clean bedding.. DD2 gave me paternal recognition .. not sure if I should be worried or honoured..

Bed time I suppose.. OH will be waking me up in 2 hours..
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    06/06/2017 £56823.12 (5.15% int.)
    • YORKSHIRELASS
    • By YORKSHIRELASS 19th Jun 17, 7:29 AM
    • 4,388 Posts
    • 35,774 Thanks
    YORKSHIRELASS
    • 19th Jun 17, 7:29 AM
    • 19th Jun 17, 7:29 AM
    Morning all

I am here. Been away for a little weekend away but its back to it with yet another busy week. DS1 kept the house clean and tidy while we were away bless him but I will need to keep flying this week.

Right, shower and paid stuff awaits!
    • atypicalblonde
    • By atypicalblonde 19th Jun 17, 7:45 AM
    • 2,556 Posts
    • 16,427 Thanks
    atypicalblonde
    • 19th Jun 17, 7:45 AM
    • 19th Jun 17, 7:45 AM
    Morning All

Thanks Natty and Valli xx
    HB - Thanks for your kind words. I need to be more dogged in my approach to debt collecting I think. I'm on it this week

Gorgeous and sunny here - I love this weather. Flowers and hanging baskets watered, WM on and animals and children fed!

Paid stuff this morning which will be super hot but only 2 hours. Then lunch at DD school, then local charity collecting big item that has been clogging up our garage far too long

I've put some laundry away and unloaded DW too.

Have fab days all xx
    Last edited by atypicalblonde; 19-06-2017 at 7:48 AM.
    MFW
    Mortgage 8.2.15 - £171,064.64 Mortgage 17.11.17 - £119,999.04
    Aiming to be MF 1.10.2020
    • Mumof2
    • By Mumof2 19th Jun 17, 8:04 AM
    • 2,534 Posts
    • 38,875 Thanks
    Mumof2
    • 19th Jun 17, 8:04 AM
    • 19th Jun 17, 8:04 AM
    Many thanks for the list Natty and for last weeks Valli.. I'm in in my own sort of way but anything is better than nothing isn't it.

Just going to hang load of washing up then will get next load in. Need to run DW and do have some ironing but will do it now before it gets too hot. Off to Huck (horse) this morning but won't be ages; have 3 to do but only checking them.

Have a good day all and I promise I'll try to do better this week!

• Valli
    • By Valli 19th Jun 17, 8:25 AM
    • 20,163 Posts
    • 229,056 Thanks
    Valli
    • 19th Jun 17, 8:25 AM
    • 19th Jun 17, 8:25 AM
    morning all

Thanks for 'bossing' us, Natty.

2 loads on line, 3rd going in.

Not looking forward to all the ironing I have!
    Make two - and freeze one!
    Don't put it DOWN - put it AWAY!
    DEBT ATTACK - Debts to attack 1-£6150.87 24/04/2017 £5303.03 22/07/2017 BT -
    £5342.65
    2 Virgin CC £585.88 31/7/2017 £494.88 11/8/2017
    • Mumof2
    • By Mumof2 19th Jun 17, 8:30 AM
    • 2,534 Posts
    • 38,875 Thanks
    Mumof2
    You're not alone there Valli!

• dancemum
    • By dancemum 19th Jun 17, 9:00 AM
    • 2,059 Posts
    • 30,062 Thanks
    dancemum
    Morning all X

Thank you for the lists.

1xwm done and put outside to dry with new pegs

Ironing done

Ds2 dispatched to school complete with sun cream and hat without the usual complaints.

It's hot here already.
    • bossymoo
    • By bossymoo 19th Jun 17, 9:17 AM
    • 6,821 Posts
    • 87,041 Thanks
    bossymoo
    Thanks for the lists natty and Valli xx

I'm sort of in but maybe in my own order.

Kiddies delivered to school - also hot here, more sunscreen liberally applied and hats and extra water packed. I've just made me an iced coffee lovely

Today's plan is to grab a few bits from @ldi but literally only a few as I have a big shop coming tomorrow.

I've laundry to put away too, and garden sweeping but it will have to wait till it's cooler.

Might go stick another wash on...
    Bossymoo

Away with the fairies
    • FurryBeastOz
    • By FurryBeastOz 19th Jun 17, 9:37 AM
    • 1,098 Posts
    • 14,478 Thanks
    FurryBeastOz
    Thanks Valli and Natty

I'm sticking to plan and checking in. Today's MUSTS:

1) Hot whites wash (Currenty in WM)
    2) Menu planning
    3) Shopping
    4) Bake cake for tonight
    5) Bake bread for DH sandwiches
    6) Clear kitchen mess resulting from above
    7) Phone car insurers re. Not renewing with them
    8) Upload outline crap CV to Careers website before counselling coversation on Wednesday
    9) Read and do tasks in next chapter of The Artists Way before meeting tomorrow afternoon
    10) Share at my AA meeting tonight. PREP for it

OK. 10. A nice round number. Iona I'm channeling your amazing GUAG as mine is hopeless.
    Last edited by FurryBeastOz; 19-06-2017 at 1:59 PM.
    *** Debt Free***
    NST October 1/18
    Goals - Weight loss 0/13lb from 1st Jul 17
    GC To 1/10/17 £2416.17£3,500, 69.03/74.79% of the year. Had to raise budget
    • Narc0lepsy
    • By Narc0lepsy 19th Jun 17, 10:13 AM
    • 1,456 Posts
    • 21,004 Thanks
    Narc0lepsy
    I'm in and thanks for lists, but it's a pretty packed prog this week. Last week Mr N and I were both pretty pathetic with the cold/virus thing I kindly brought him back from Denmark. Were contemplating a team booking at the GP this week as the worst bit was throat; really felt like tonsillitis. Anyway we're both improving, general heat and illness-fuelled debility means the house didn't get messy plus when we were up to it it was mainly garden flying and we did do a lot. Lots of baby peppers and tomatoes in greenhouse. Have given up on peas as whenever they grow even one leaf, the pigeons eat them.

Today: got solar panel review am. I've got an assessment to do at uni pm. Need to finish writing up a report.
    Tomorrow: zumba then a frantic catchup. Another report to write up, house to fly round, church group in eve.
    Wed: Assessment at uni and meet Mr N at his last-day-at-work pub/meal escapade. 2 other colleagues are leaving the same day (although not retiring like him). Question: I first met Mr N when he was 27; how can he be retiring?......
    Thurs: Even more frantic catch up then we are off to Birmingham for 2 nights. I'm going to a conference on Friday and Mr N to the motor bike museum. Then we're going to Cornwall for 5 nights. So some careful planning needed, not the least of which is because we're going on the motor bike and can't over-pack.

Consider yourself gently kicked FBO although it sounds as though you've made a start.
    Remember...a layer of dust protects the wood beneath it.
    • Honey Bear
    • By Honey Bear 19th Jun 17, 10:31 AM
    • 4,683 Posts
    • 47,184 Thanks
    Honey Bear
    What's the worst they can do if you ring them every hour ATB? They can't bite you, all they'll do is be rude. Which they are, anyway by not paying, which is passive aggresive. Just be scrupulously polite and say you will accept a bank transfer rather than waste their time asking for a cheque. Repeatedly. Until they just pay. (((Hugs))) for you.

And a (((hug))) for you FBO, rather than a kick up the jacksy. It sounds as though you've been through it a bit with work lately, and you're doing really, really well by my reading of what you're dealing with. Whatever you do off that list is progress, and that's all that's required of us - to make progress every day.

As I've lived in Plymouth now for 25 years I think I'm pretty used to the sound of seagulls, Ionafan! When I used to work at a big hotel in Sidmouth (sea views from almost all the rooms, if you opened the window too wide you'd pretty much fall into the sea) guests would complain about the noise they made, and '... could we do something about it?' Doh!

Gorgeous day here, absolutely gorgeous. Up and at it early (for me) and most of the kitchen list was done before I read yours, Natty, because it needed it so badly. I'll do some of the rest later just to feel virtuous if I have the energy. Today is the perfect day for Kelpie's sheepskin rug which badly needs a twirl in the WM and a boiling hot day to dry. And I need to finish getting ready for the arrivals.

If there's time I've got a lot of tiny lavendar plants that need potting up and a few other things that need potting in their final positions. I've got plenty of shade to work in so it's rather lovely.
    Keeping it AF
    • FurryBeastOz
    • By FurryBeastOz 19th Jun 17, 10:38 AM
    • 1,098 Posts
    • 14,478 Thanks
    FurryBeastOz
    Thanks everyone for the support.

DW emptied and reloaded. Menu plan done. Off to the shops as I can't bake before I've been.

Was really hoping to get the towels outside but it looks like we might be in for a thunderstorm. Fingers crossed it doesn't amount to anything.
    *** Debt Free***
    NST October 1/18
    • Narc0lepsy
    • By Narc0lepsy 19th Jun 17, 10:38 AM
    • 1,456 Posts
    • 21,004 Thanks
    Narc0lepsy
    Oh well scrub the solar panel review, having rung last night to confirm a 10am appt, they rang at 10.15 just now to say they haven't been able to locate a technician who can visit. Back to my report now but at least preparing for a visit got the lounge table tidied and a few things put away.
    Remember...a layer of dust protects the wood beneath it.
    • MeandThe2
    • By MeandThe2 19th Jun 17, 11:20 AM
    • 39 Posts
    • 145 Thanks
    MeandThe2
    Morning all!

First week flying and I am looking forward to get is house slightly cleaner as it's a dump! Popped to B&M after dropping kids off as I needed another fan, spend far too much in there as always but it was all stuff we needed....or so I am telling myself

Level One
    Remove floor gubbins. Yes, you, that pile over by the door. Does it live there? I think not!
    Now do the same with the unnecessary worktop clutter! There you go! Well done!

Level Two
    Give the work tops and cupboard fronts your attention (with a cloth, don't flutter your eyelashes at them )
    Shine your sink, flylady basics - Once the floor is dry I and I have emptied the mop bucket I can put the pots away and do this!
    Splash backs and greasy tiles? Yep, swish there too!
    Level Three
    Pop the bin and doormat outside, then sweep and mop your floor
    Wipe over the small appliances

Extras:
    Don't forget those MAD half hour's you started last week, keep plodding on with them this week. I'm not letting you get away from them.. - no idea what this is?
    Do you need to test your smoke alarms? - done as I had to replace batteries a week ago
    Wipe over your big appliances
    Run the WM and/or DW on a hot wash to keep its insides happy - Will do WM once all washing done, don't have a DW
    Count your baking tins and sheets. How many??? Do you really need all of them? - only have 4 as I got rid last year when we moved

Got a load on the line burning in the sun and one in about to be finished...my washing basket it empty Have organised 3 of the 4 kitchen draws this morning too

Managed to mop myself into living room so guess I will have to stay put until floor dry
    • bossymoo
    • By bossymoo 19th Jun 17, 11:32 AM
    • 6,821 Posts
    • 87,041 Thanks
    bossymoo
    Meandthe2 a couple of weeks ago Valli came up with the MAD half hour - just pick a task that you've been putting off, and commit to just half and hour to make a Difference. My first one was paperwork - I organised it in a week of MAD half hours - maybe did about 4 sessions over the week. Then I was supposed to sort through kids artwork and certificate piles, but I somehow ignored that last week
    Does that help? X

I've got washing out on the line, few bits of groceries and I've planted 2 clematis behind the back fence. I hid an old garden arch behind there that I can't dismantle (rust) so I've put it behind the fence in the middle, hopefully later in the summer we'll have some flowers climbing up it boy it was hot though...

I'm now laid on the bed with the window open. Must move... Lol
    Bossymoo

Away with the fairies
    • FurryBeastOz
    • By FurryBeastOz 19th Jun 17, 2:02 PM
    • 1,098 Posts
    • 14,478 Thanks
    FurryBeastOz
    1) Hot whites wash (Currenty in WM) Flapping merrily
    2) Menu planning
    3) Shopping
    4) Bake cake for tonight
    5) Bake bread for DH sandwiches Half loaf located in freezer and I need the space in there.
    6) Clear kitchen mess resulting from above
    7) Phone car insurers re. Not renewing with them
    8) Upload outline crap CV to Careers website before counselling coversation on Wednesday
    9) Read and do tasks in next chapter of The Artists Way before meeting tomorrow afternoon
    10) Share at my AA meeting tonight. PREP for it.

Good progress. The remaining items are a bit more flexible depending on lawyers. I'm waiting a call back.
    *** Debt Free***
    NST October 1/18
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

151Posts Today

2,209Users online

Martin's Twitter