Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Nat.edwards3
    • By Nat.edwards3 18th Jun 17, 9:47 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Nat.edwards3
    0 WOW
    Thomas Cook mis-sold holiday
    • 18th Jun 17, 9:47 PM
    0 WOW
    Thomas Cook mis-sold holiday 18th Jun 17 at 9:47 PM
    In March 2017 we booked a holiday with Thomas Cook to Cuba to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary. We spent hours looking for the right location, a hotel that met our needs and was within our budget. The hotel was not adult only but advertised adult only facilities. Perfect!
    A month after we booked, we received a letter saying that the adult only facilities were only available if you booked a Collection Suite. We paid extra for a partial seaview room but not a suite. I called them on several occasions to find out what could be done about it. To begin with they said that they were in discussions with the hotel to try and resolve this problem and to call back the following week. I called but they had no news. This went on for weeks. We were then told we can upgrade to the suite at a cost to us for an extra £3,600! A cost that we cannot afford.
    At the beginning of June we were offered a replacement hotel but declined as the hotel did not look as good as the one we had originally booked. We were then offered to choose a different holiday altogether but with only 3 weeks until we to go nothing was really available for the dates we could go. I have now given up calling as I wasn't getting anywhere with them.
    This is a very special time for us and want to celebrate our anniversary while on holiday. All we want is to ge able to use the facilities described when we booked. They have since changed the description on their website but not the online brochure.

Am I being unreasonable? Do you think we should be entitled to some compensation?
    Your thoughts would be much appreciated.
    Thank you.
Page 1
    • IAmWales
    • By IAmWales 18th Jun 17, 9:59 PM
    • 1,824 Posts
    • 3,802 Thanks
    IAmWales
    • 18th Jun 17, 9:59 PM
    • 18th Jun 17, 9:59 PM
    What are the adult only facilities? Which hotel is it?

It comes across that TC have been very generous in offering you various alternatives.

Maybe they'll give you a fruit basket and some bubbly. What else are you looking for?
    • danilou21
    • By danilou21 18th Jun 17, 10:36 PM
    • 105 Posts
    • 57 Thanks
    danilou21
    • 18th Jun 17, 10:36 PM
    • 18th Jun 17, 10:36 PM
    What are the adult only facilities that you wanted? Does it really matter? Surely if you wanted a child-free holiday you would've booked a hotel that didn't allow children?
    As you are going in a few weeks it isn't a school holiday time, and with it being in hurricane season it will be quieter anyway.
    Just because there may be children around doesn't mean you will have to sit with them!

I imagine that when you booked the holiday you agreed to the terms and conditions, they usually state that some facilities are subject to change therefore the changes the travel agent have offered you are reasonable.
    • 814man
    • By 814man 18th Jun 17, 11:01 PM
    • 336 Posts
    • 289 Thanks
    814man
    • 18th Jun 17, 11:01 PM
    • 18th Jun 17, 11:01 PM
    Say which resort you are booked into, I imagine that many on here will have been to some, I've been to two different ones, and perhaps we can give our views on how much of a problem a few kids will cause you.
    • Tom The Great Sebastian
    • By Tom The Great Sebastian 19th Jun 17, 6:25 AM
    • 861 Posts
    • 953 Thanks
    Tom The Great Sebastian
    • 19th Jun 17, 6:25 AM
    • 19th Jun 17, 6:25 AM
    It seems to me that TC have gone out of their way to resolve this issue.
    You've given yourselves an awful lot of aggro for such a minor irritant.
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 19th Jun 17, 9:40 AM
    • 18,791 Posts
    • 43,262 Thanks
    peachyprice
    • 19th Jun 17, 9:40 AM
    • 19th Jun 17, 9:40 AM
    It was never going to be a child-free holiday, they were always going to be there, all that seems to have happened is that some facilities that were going to be adult only will now allow families to partake and it's likely there will still be some adult-only facilities, like a spa. Which facilities that were child-free are not now? How many activities will you have to share with families instead of couples now?

In all honesty, if a child-free resort was really that important you should have booked an adults-only resort. No matter what may be offered by UK tour operators unless it's an adult-only resort there will always be a risk that TO's from other countries are selling a resort as a family holiday.

I think TC have done all that they can, they have offered to move you to a different hotel, they have offered to move you to a different holiday. I doubt they're going to pay £3600 to upgrade you when you have declined other reasonable alternatives and you can still use the facilities, albeit with families around, they haven't actually taken away any facilities at all.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
    • richardw
    • By richardw 19th Jun 17, 10:57 AM
    • 18,343 Posts
    • 7,589 Thanks
    richardw
    • 19th Jun 17, 10:57 AM
    • 19th Jun 17, 10:57 AM
    Choose a different holiday in Europe, great weather, no jet lag, no hurricane risks, no excessive hours in a metal tube.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
    • leylandsunaddict
    • By leylandsunaddict 19th Jun 17, 1:20 PM
    • 1,536 Posts
    • 1,045 Thanks
    leylandsunaddict
    • 19th Jun 17, 1:20 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 1:20 PM
    I'm guessing this is the Pullman on Cayo Coco. If you want adult only facilities perhaps the Melia next door would be more suitable?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

136Posts Today

2,461Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I realised I forgot in my links earlier. 1. Help to Buy ISAs, how they work and best buys...? https://t.co/BSCNPeqiVF

• RT @whatdawndid: Thanks to uncle @MartinSLewis I just received £200 back, just like that from the student loan company! Turns out that the?

• RT @LaraLewington: Shocked and saddened by Cheggers news. Working with him on It?s A Knockout was my 1st job in telly when I was just 19. H?

• Follow Martin