Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sharnymph
    • By sharnymph 18th Jun 17, 9:37 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    sharnymph
    Bad credit but need a home
    • 18th Jun 17, 9:37 PM
    Bad credit but need a home 18th Jun 17 at 9:37 PM
    Just wanting some advice really, here are the details of my situation.

I recently got married and we're looking for a place to live.
    At the moment we live with my parents, in a tiny room.
    My parents are only allowing us to stay because they don't have the heart to throw us out, but at the same time they keep pushing us to leave.
    We both work full time, so we can afford a place, but are unable to pay ridiculous high deposits.

The real problem is that no landlord will accept us as tenants because of bad credit history. I'm currently on a debt management plan and it will take me 2 years to pay off my debts.
    We have nobody that can really help us, my dad is a carer for my mum so he is unable to be a guarantor. I can't find anyone else to be our guarantor either, my husbands family are in Norway and there is no way that we can move there.
    Honestly, both families are not happy about our marriage, so we're stuck.

I've been to the council and citizens advice, but have had no help so far.

We have tried shared accommodation and after that experience, I refuse to ever try that again. The landlord lied to us about how many people were living in the house and was renting out the house illegally I believe, so we got out of there.

So, anyone have any suggestions?
Page 1
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 18th Jun 17, 10:31 PM
    • 2,514 Posts
    • 3,350 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    • 18th Jun 17, 10:31 PM
    • 18th Jun 17, 10:31 PM
    If you are both working full time but can't afford the deposits how can you afford the rent? The deposit is usually equal to about one month's rent. You don't really have a lot of choice. You will have to find something that you can afford. You will turn down shared accommodation after one bad experience?
    • Cheeky_Monkey
    • By Cheeky_Monkey 18th Jun 17, 11:33 PM
    • 1,131 Posts
    • 2,122 Thanks
    Cheeky_Monkey
    • 18th Jun 17, 11:33 PM
    • 18th Jun 17, 11:33 PM
    If you are currently living in London, I'm not surprised you can't afford it. You will probably have to start looking further out where properties/rent is cheaper and commute in for work.
    • sharnymph
    • By sharnymph 18th Jun 17, 11:45 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    sharnymph
    • 18th Jun 17, 11:45 PM
    • 18th Jun 17, 11:45 PM
    I never said we can't afford deposits.
    Deposits are much higher if you have bad credit, but almost no landlord wants a tenant with debts and bad credit history. It is quite hard at the moment and yes I work and live in London.
    • Loanranger
    • By Loanranger 19th Jun 17, 12:02 AM
    • 1,925 Posts
    • 4,997 Thanks
    Loanranger
    • 19th Jun 17, 12:02 AM
    • 19th Jun 17, 12:02 AM
    Most people in this situation will try to increase their income by getting a second job. You also need to cut back on your spending as much as possible. Earn more, save every penny.
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 19th Jun 17, 1:28 AM
    • 2,514 Posts
    • 3,350 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    • 19th Jun 17, 1:28 AM
    • 19th Jun 17, 1:28 AM
    You have a debt management plan so I am not sure what you expect the council and CAB to do about your debts? It is the debts that are causing your problem so until you pay them off no one can help you.
    • warby68
    • By warby68 19th Jun 17, 6:05 AM
    • 758 Posts
    • 8,463 Thanks
    warby68
    • 19th Jun 17, 6:05 AM
    • 19th Jun 17, 6:05 AM
    Suggest you try and deal with your debts much quicker and direct your deposit/rent money to that with a view to getting rid ASAP.

Unless your parents require a lot of board money, with 2 full time wages its difficult to see why you can't make material inroads and improve your own position quite quickly. A second job each for a short time could help too.

You might just have to fix your own problems here so you start to look like better prospects for landlords.
    • Pixie5740
    • By Pixie5740 19th Jun 17, 7:16 AM
    • 10,416 Posts
    • 14,267 Thanks
    Pixie5740
    • 19th Jun 17, 7:16 AM
    • 19th Jun 17, 7:16 AM
    How do you know that no landlord will accept you? Have you applied for any rental properties yet?

Landlords and letting agents won't know you are on a DMP unless you tell them. All a credit check by a landlord or letting agent will be able to access is your public credit records and all your public credit records show are CCJ and insolvency i.e. IVA, DRO and bankruptcy.

One bad experience of renting a room in a shared property shouldn't mean that you rule out ever doing it again. You need to cut your cloth accordingly just like everyone else.
    Last edited by Pixie5740; 19-06-2017 at 9:07 AM. Reason: Spelling :o
    Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen pounds nineteen and six, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds nought and six, result misery.
    • csgohan4
    • By csgohan4 19th Jun 17, 7:19 AM
    • 3,497 Posts
    • 2,184 Thanks
    csgohan4
    • 19th Jun 17, 7:19 AM
    • 19th Jun 17, 7:19 AM
    hit the debt free wannabee forum to maximise your income
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land"
    • LandyAndy
    • By LandyAndy 19th Jun 17, 9:03 AM
    • 23,633 Posts
    • 50,239 Thanks
    LandyAndy
    . You need to cut your cloth accordion just like everyone else.
    Originally posted by Pixie5740

I wonder what tunes you could play on that?
    • Pixie5740
    • By Pixie5740 19th Jun 17, 9:06 AM
    • 10,416 Posts
    • 14,267 Thanks
    Pixie5740
    I wonder what tunes you could play on that?
    Originally posted by LandyAndy
    "Our House" by Madness.
    Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen pounds nineteen and six, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds nought and six, result misery.
    • Cheeky_Monkey
    • By Cheeky_Monkey 19th Jun 17, 10:15 AM
    • 1,131 Posts
    • 2,122 Thanks
    Cheeky_Monkey
    Deposits are much higher if you have bad credit, but almost no landlord wants a tenant with debts and bad credit history. It is quite hard at the moment and yes I work and live in London.
    Originally posted by sharnymph
    Actually, you did. You might want to re-read your own post.
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 19th Jun 17, 11:05 AM
    • 13,978 Posts
    • 13,495 Thanks
    Guest101
    Originally posted by sharnymph
    What? - that's simply not true in 99.9% of cases - landlords wont know about your debt or credit 'rating'
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,288Posts Today

4,757Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • You're right, of course. How silly of me. After all, all my work is solely focused on my own personal circumstance? https://t.co/m6DHzFUjzg

• RT @ARJMOR: @MartinSLewis It may well be kind of random, but the algorithm used has a bias to the unpopular seats.

• It seems what Ryanair is saying is "don't pay and we leave you the seats we don't think people want and they're in the middle."

• Follow Martin