Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • notgoodatmaths
    • By notgoodatmaths 18th Jun 17, 9:20 PM
    • 10Posts
    • 2Thanks
    notgoodatmaths
    Deposit Refund and CCJ
    • 18th Jun 17, 9:20 PM
    Deposit Refund and CCJ 18th Jun 17 at 9:20 PM
    Hi guys

My previous lettings agency hadn't been in touch to return my deposit so I requested to which they replied that I would only get £197 back out of the total £475.00 that I paid as a deposit. I understand that when I left I had to leave my spare washing machine in the living room as they already had one fitted by the landlord. I also left behind a wardrobe, a small dining table and 4 chairs and a single metal bed frame taken apart. I also couldn't return the keys to them. The reason I had to leave all that and couldn't return the keys is very personal. Lets just say police had to get involved for concerns of my safety so I just had to leave as soon as I could. I couldn't return to the flat to get everything removed. Apart from this the place just needed to be vacuum cleaned.
    I disputed the amount to which the agency didn't respond. They started ignoring my emails so I took the matter to the court because at that stage they didn't even gave me any information about my deposit as to where it was held under what reference number. I had to ask the court to enter judgement. And now the lettings agency have got back to me with the reference number etc and asking me to stop the proceedings asap still insisting that the deductions are reasonable. I have requested to see the invoice as they do not have a good record of getting the place cleaned before a tenant moves in. Only I know as I had to clean that place especially the fridge which was in appalling state. The lettings agency have sent me an email with the breakdown of costs and is asking me to drop the CCJ case against them while they "try to find" copy of invoice. I do not think the deductions are reasonable. Just wanted to ask for your opinion what should I do next? And also how much do you think it would cost to get cleaners in to just do a basic clean and remove the items and also to replace keys etc?

Replacement lock and key Mailbox - £30.00
    Replacement lock to front door and key - £45.00
    Replacement front door key - £15.00
    Replacement main entrance door key - £15.00
    Cleaning contribution - £35.00
    Carpet Clean - £58.00
    Items and rubbish removal - £80.00

Another alarming thing I noticed that they used a different post code to mine to protect the deposit and are saying it is just a typo. They put my name and first line of address correct but my email address and the post code wrong and that's why DPS couldn't find me on their records. I think something fishy going on there.

Thanks a bunch
Page 2
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 19th Jun 17, 4:47 PM
    • 15,118 Posts
    • 14,765 Thanks
    Guest101
    I am already suffering from depression and just needed some advice. I believed the rules of the forum were to offer advice and to not judge but it seemed like I was being judged by the tone of some comments. Anyway thanks for putting your input. I have emailed the lettings agency back and I will accept £197 plus £58.
    Originally posted by notgoodatmaths

Let's say this wasn't a deposit, but a car crash. You caused an accident.

Would you say it's not my fault because I was depressed?

No-one is judging the illness. But the illness is not a get out of jail free card either.
    • sheff6107
    • By sheff6107 19th Jun 17, 5:40 PM
    • 442 Posts
    • 293 Thanks
    sheff6107
    Thank you for not judging me and actually giving some advice. It is at the CCJ stage. They were trying to fob me off regarding the deposit issue. I had been chasing them for 4 months and had no luck. DPS couldn't find me on their records so couldn't help me. So I had to go to the court. I have emailed them back that I would accept the £197 plus £58 as the carpets didn't really need a deep clean just a vacuum clean. And they have agreed to that. I am waiting to get the money in my bank then I will cancel the CCJ.
    Originally posted by notgoodatmaths
    I'm confused. A CCJ stands for County Court Judgment. If you have a CCJ against them you will possess a stamped piece of paper from the court headed 'Judgment' and the amount they legally owe you. They have 28 days to pay up after which you can send in the bailiffs. You can't cancel a CCJ because it's already happened. And any emails arguing about amounts is too late - they have to pay you the amount shown on the CCJ.
    • KILL BILL
    • By KILL BILL 19th Jun 17, 9:24 PM
    • 2,088 Posts
    • 1,285 Thanks
    KILL BILL
    I'm confused. A CCJ stands for County Court Judgment. If you have a CCJ against them you will possess a stamped piece of paper from the court headed 'Judgment' and the amount they legally owe you. They have 28 days to pay up after which you can send in the bailiffs. You can't cancel a CCJ because it's already happened. And any emails arguing about amounts is too late - they have to pay you the amount shown on the CCJ.
    Originally posted by sheff6107

agreed - a judge has looked at your case and found in your favour and the defendant has to pay the amount on the order.

they had ample opurtunity to file a defence but did not
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 20th Jun 17, 9:56 AM
    • 15,118 Posts
    • 14,765 Thanks
    Guest101
    Originally posted by sheff6107

I suspect he/she means they will mark it as settled.
    • notgoodatmaths
    • By notgoodatmaths 1st Jul 17, 1:12 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    notgoodatmaths
    Thanks everyone for contributing. I got £197 plus £58 back.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,740Posts Today

6,110Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin