Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • GStudy
    • By GStudy 18th Jun 17, 7:14 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    GStudy
    FTB...long delays
    • 18th Jun 17, 7:14 PM
    FTB...long delays 18th Jun 17 at 7:14 PM
    Hi all, long term lurker first time poster here.

I'm a first time buyer, and had an offer accepted on a flat on 6th Feb. The flat is vacant (was a BTL, the tenancy came to an end, vendor decided to refurbish and sell). All looked good for a quick purchase - I had mortgage in place within two weeks, and had instructed solicitors to start searches ASAP.

After 12 weeks (from a FTB point of view until then things had been progressing normally, but I realised we weren't as far ahead as I would have anticipated) I tried calling my solicitor afew times, each time told he wasn't available but would call back. In the end I sent an email copying in a senior partner to express my concern. Suddenly things sprung into action, I was getting phone call updates and before long all was sorted except some additional enquires.

It has now been 4 weeks since those additional enquires have been with the sellers with no response. I've been in touch with my solicitors at the start of every week, and each time have been told they are chasing it that day. Last week I phoned the EA to see if they could find out what was happening - he got back in touch to say the sellers solicitor has told him there are some questions the seller is unable to answer, and they have been chasing him to try and get the answers.

I have two questions - first, I have a postal address for the seller, do you think would it be worth sending a letter to him directly something along the lines of introducing myself and emphasise that I am keen to proceed and provide my contact details so we can talk directly about where these delays are coming from?

The second question is I have closed a HTB ISA on advice from my solicitors so the purchase wouldn't be delayed (hah), if this didn't go through have I lost the bonus?

Many thanks for any replies.
Page 1
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 18th Jun 17, 8:10 PM
    • 2,484 Posts
    • 3,193 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    • 18th Jun 17, 8:10 PM
    • 18th Jun 17, 8:10 PM
    Depending on the legal part of the process buying a house can easily take 6 months,
    • G_M
    • By G_M 18th Jun 17, 8:12 PM
    • 39,647 Posts
    • 45,150 Thanks
    G_M
    • 18th Jun 17, 8:12 PM
    • 18th Jun 17, 8:12 PM
    It always take longer than people expect. And much longer than people want.

Check the HTB ISA rules.

https://www.helptobuy.gov.uk/documents/2015/12/scheme-rules.pdf
    • Bumbletumbler
    • By Bumbletumbler 18th Jun 17, 8:20 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Bumbletumbler
    • 18th Jun 17, 8:20 PM
    • 18th Jun 17, 8:20 PM
    [QUOTEThe second question is I have closed a HTB ISA on advice from my solicitors so the purchase wouldn't be delayed (hah), if this didn't go through have I lost the bonus?][/QUOTE]

As per the HTB ISA you haven't lost the bonus so far as you make the purchase within a year of closing the account. This happened to us. Our purchase fell through just as we were about to exchange having closed the ISA in December 2016. Just completed on a different property using the bonus now in May 2017. So you should be fine. Good luck.
    • hammy1988
    • By hammy1988 18th Jun 17, 10:51 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    hammy1988
    • 18th Jun 17, 10:51 PM
    • 18th Jun 17, 10:51 PM
    Not good to chase sellers themselves. Try the estate agents who your seller sold it through, they want to make their fee as well as the solicitors so no harm pushing and asking them to give the seller a call for updates (often this is a way of finding out how good or not so good your solicitor has been at chasing...)

I don't see why yours should have come to a standstill as it seems to be a straight forward sale really.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

150Posts Today

1,352Users online

Martin's Twitter