Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • katebl
    • By katebl 18th Jun 17, 6:19 PM
    • 585Posts
    • 276Thanks
    katebl
    Storage costs ongoing... anyone ever tried for a discount?!
    • 18th Jun 17, 6:19 PM
    Storage costs ongoing... anyone ever tried for a discount?! 18th Jun 17 at 6:19 PM
    Appreciate any responses to this, by next month we'll have had a 150 sq ft unit for a year and will have paid over £4,500 for the privilege. Currently with Big Yellow Box but if I can persuade the other half to help load it all and take it literally round the corner to a competitor we would be at least £130 a month better off (he may well go for this quite easily, he hates how much we pay). Is it worth me trying to negotiate with ongoing costs at the existing place (need at least the rest of the year), anyone got any success stories or insider info they can share?! If not I'm pretty set on moving it regardless as cutting that cost by 1/3 is a big saving but saving an afternoons labour is appealing too!
Page 1
    • G_M
    • By G_M 18th Jun 17, 8:34 PM
    • 40,113 Posts
    • 45,820 Thanks
    G_M
    • 18th Jun 17, 8:34 PM
    • 18th Jun 17, 8:34 PM
    Why would you not try for a discount?
    • yoshiyella
    • By yoshiyella 18th Jun 17, 8:38 PM
    • 439 Posts
    • 131 Thanks
    yoshiyella
    • 18th Jun 17, 8:38 PM
    • 18th Jun 17, 8:38 PM
    Appreciate any responses to this, by next month we'll have had a 150 sq ft unit for a year and will have paid over £4,500 for the privilege. Currently with Big Yellow Box but if I can persuade the other half to help load it all and take it literally round the corner to a competitor we would be at least £130 a month better off (he may well go for this quite easily, he hates how much we pay). Is it worth me trying to negotiate with ongoing costs at the existing place (need at least the rest of the year), anyone got any success stories or insider info they can share?! If not I'm pretty set on moving it regardless as cutting that cost by 1/3 is a big saving but saving an afternoons labour is appealing too!
    Originally posted by katebl
    So £1500 a year in the back pocket in exchange for one afternoon? You even have to think about this?
    • Mickygg
    • By Mickygg 18th Jun 17, 9:04 PM
    • 1,281 Posts
    • 992 Thanks
    Mickygg
    • 18th Jun 17, 9:04 PM
    • 18th Jun 17, 9:04 PM
    Of course try for a discount. What do you have to lose?
    • katebl
    • By katebl 18th Jun 17, 9:18 PM
    • 585 Posts
    • 276 Thanks
    katebl
    • 18th Jun 17, 9:18 PM
    • 18th Jun 17, 9:18 PM
    Okay so I will definitely be asking based on the replies here

It hadn't really occurred to me to try seeing as there seems to be no-one else on the Internet who's talked about the same but the good news is if they tell me to take a hike the other half has agreed we should just move it anyway! Will head down there this week with a written notice to hand and see how I go
    • JJG
    • By JJG 18th Jun 17, 10:03 PM
    • 264 Posts
    • 318 Thanks
    JJG
    • 18th Jun 17, 10:03 PM
    • 18th Jun 17, 10:03 PM
    May I ask the value of the items you're storing? As there is a generally a point when you are just wasting money when it comes to storage.
    • sheff6107
    • By sheff6107 18th Jun 17, 10:07 PM
    • 403 Posts
    • 276 Thanks
    sheff6107
    • 18th Jun 17, 10:07 PM
    • 18th Jun 17, 10:07 PM
    These storage places are under pressure to keep all their units hired out and they'll often do deals if you ask
    • saajan_12
    • By saajan_12 19th Jun 17, 9:15 AM
    • 557 Posts
    • 362 Thanks
    saajan_12
    • 19th Jun 17, 9:15 AM
    • 19th Jun 17, 9:15 AM
    Stop thinking about it and do it! If you lose a month in waiting for your partner to be available, that's an extra £130.. you could pay a handyman / man with a van £130 for an afternoon's work to get it done.
    • martindow
    • By martindow 19th Jun 17, 10:35 AM
    • 7,077 Posts
    • 3,907 Thanks
    martindow
    • 19th Jun 17, 10:35 AM
    • 19th Jun 17, 10:35 AM
    May I ask the value of the items you're storing? As there is a generally a point when you are just wasting money when it comes to storage.
    Originally posted by JJG
    Absolutely. You've managed without these items for a year - why are you storing them? Have a long hard look at what is there. Sell things of value you don't need, freecycle stuff you don't want and put anything that really does have sentimental value in your house.

I knew of people paying a fortune to store almost valueless furniture 'in case the children need them one day'.

Particularly after a bereavement is seems heartless to dispose of items but there is no point in paying to store things nobody is going to need or use.
    • nomoneytoday
    • By nomoneytoday 19th Jun 17, 1:07 PM
    • 4,691 Posts
    • 2,830 Thanks
    nomoneytoday
    A colleague of mine ended up spending $1000s storing a CRT telly and a 3 piece suite in Australia, as they only intended coming to the UK for a few months, yet ended up meeting a girl, getting married etc
    • leespot
    • By leespot 19th Jun 17, 1:14 PM
    • 547 Posts
    • 433 Thanks
    leespot
    That price is extortionate - we paid £91 per month for a 100sq ft unit. You definitely need to either take stock of what you're storing, or get a better deal. We priced up the various facilities around us, then emailed each one asking if they could beat their competitors etc.
    • katebl
    • By katebl 19th Jun 17, 7:05 PM
    • 585 Posts
    • 276 Thanks
    katebl
    Thanks all - it's a whole house worth of furniture and possessions so am loathe to sell/dump it all and then have to replace it! Will update as to how I get on
    • coffeehound
    • By coffeehound 19th Jun 17, 7:26 PM
    • 1,067 Posts
    • 1,751 Thanks
    coffeehound
    After storing with them for some time, I obtained a discount from BY after telling them the price of a similar self-storage place nearby. Well worth a go.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

322Posts Today

3,814Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin