Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Braboor
    • By Braboor 18th Jun 17, 4:54 PM
    • 32Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Braboor
    Radon Tests & Remedial Work
    • 18th Jun 17, 4:54 PM
    Radon Tests & Remedial Work 18th Jun 17 at 4:54 PM
    I am in the process of buying a house. The owner has submitted Radon Test results, dated Aug 2015, along with their legal paperwork.

Despite them saying there was a test & no remedial work was required, on the questionnaire, the certificate says otherwise. It states 200Bq/m³ is the Action level & 100Bq/m³ is the Target Level. The test result was 220Bq/m³.

The ground floors are solid concrete.

I would like to proceed with the purchase but feel they should fix this issue. Is there any formal procedure to arrange this? Having read up on this, it may require two radon sumps at £800-3000 each...!
Page 1
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 18th Jun 17, 5:42 PM
    • 23,099 Posts
    • 88,411 Thanks
    Davesnave
    • 18th Jun 17, 5:42 PM
    • 18th Jun 17, 5:42 PM
    I wonder how many neighbours to this house have radon sumps. This will be the first thought your seller has..... before seeking another buyer. They'll not want the disruption or the expense of building a sump and solving a 'problem,' which has never existed from their point of view.

In any event, if you want the work done well, it would be far better to arrange it yourself with a company you trust.

You could look for a reduction in the light of this, but 20Bq/m³ above national guidelines is marginal and most people will probably see it as fairly irrelevant, whatever you think.

Sorry.
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
    • Braboor
    • By Braboor 18th Jun 17, 7:22 PM
    • 32 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Braboor
    • 18th Jun 17, 7:22 PM
    • 18th Jun 17, 7:22 PM
    I guess my concern is exaggerated as they have also had a lot of building work done without Building Regulation Approval...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,818Posts Today

8,415Users online

Martin's Twitter