Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Clare89x
    • By Clare89x 18th Jun 17, 4:35 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Clare89x
    Help with benefit entitlement
    • 18th Jun 17, 4:35 PM
    Help with benefit entitlement 18th Jun 17 at 4:35 PM
    Hi, my partner has left his employment after 11 years to attend college. Currently, i am not working but hopefully will be in the next few months. Just checking to see what we're entitled to until then. I kind of know what it is but when i throw in that my partner is now a student that isn't giving me a clear answer. Just need someone to help me understand it all.

Also, i am looking for a full time job but i'd like to know what would happen if i had to go with a part time job. I know, in some cases, you have to work a certain amount of hours each week to be eligible for certain benefits.

Hope someone can help
Page 1
    • Caz3121
    • By Caz3121 18th Jun 17, 4:55 PM
    • 10,775 Posts
    • 7,021 Thanks
    Caz3121
    • 18th Jun 17, 4:55 PM
    • 18th Jun 17, 4:55 PM
    do you have any children? disabilities? rent or mortgage? do you currently claim JSA?
    • frugalmacdugal
    • By frugalmacdugal 18th Jun 17, 5:02 PM
    • 6,080 Posts
    • 5,230 Thanks
    frugalmacdugal
    • 18th Jun 17, 5:02 PM
    • 18th Jun 17, 5:02 PM
    Hi,

try this benefits calculator, might help.
    Y'all take care now.
    • Clare89x
    • By Clare89x 18th Jun 17, 5:12 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Clare89x
    • 18th Jun 17, 5:12 PM
    • 18th Jun 17, 5:12 PM
    do you have any children? disabilities? rent or mortgage? do you currently claim JSA?
    Originally posted by Caz3121
    hi, i have 2 children and no disabilities. the only benefits i get at the moment are child tax credit and child benefit, im not claiming JSA. I know i can get housing benefit which i only need to claim for a month or two but not sure what else, if anything. Plus with my partner going to be a student, i'm not sure how that will affect it all
    Last edited by Clare89x; 18-06-2017 at 5:15 PM. Reason: mistake
    • Alice Holt
    • By Alice Holt 18th Jun 17, 6:19 PM
    • 1,365 Posts
    • 1,484 Thanks
    Alice Holt
    • 18th Jun 17, 6:19 PM
    • 18th Jun 17, 6:19 PM
    I would have thought:
    You claim JSa,
    Claim HB & Council Tax reduction asap,
    Inform Tax Credits of your change in circumstances,
    Visit your local CAB for a benefit check & info on the number of employed hours necessary to claim WTC (if you are on a low wage once working).

Your partner might want to seek benefit advice / find out about financial assistance from his college. Is there any reason he can't work part-time / weekends whilst studying?
    Can he access a grant / student loan. This income will be taken into account in the calculation of income-based benefits.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

214Posts Today

1,242Users online

Martin's Twitter