Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Wilf23
    • By Wilf23 18th Jun 17, 4:22 PM
    • 6Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Wilf23
    Garage charging for unnecessary work...
    • 18th Jun 17, 4:22 PM
    Garage charging for unnecessary work... 18th Jun 17 at 4:22 PM
    Hi All,

Wondered if you could help me. I own a Ford Fiesta Zetec 2005. In October 2015 I took it to a garage for a full service and MOT, I've been going to this garage for 12 years and trust them entirely. I moved away from the area and took the same car for a service at a different garage last week using a groupon deal. When I booked it in I told them the car was making a bit of a whirring noise and it may be a wheel bearing, but I wasn't sure so they said they'd look at them for me.

Shortly after dropping it in they rung me and realed off a ton of extra work that needed doing, including replacing the wheel bearing on the O/S rear. They told me it was in an horrific state so I told them to proceed whilst telling them not to bother with all the other items that were clearly not required.

I wasn't able to check what wheel bearing was replaced in 2015 until today but when I looked it turns out it was the same one on the O/S rear. I know wheel bearings last longer than 10,000 miles/18 months. The whirring noise it still there too.

Where do I stand on this? I will ask for a refund but I know they'll tell me the other garage didn't replace it so they put a new one on. If they say this I will tell them I will get the wheel bearing inspected and if it's 18months old then I believe I'll have enough evidence. I believe they have seen that the wheel bearing was fairly new and have told me they replaced it as a means of getting £170 out of me. If it is new then I have no evidence that hey replaced it for the sake of it. Feel frustrated that I mentioned there might be a problem with a wheel bearing as it gave them free reign to charge me for a new one.

Can anyone recommend any other advice or steps to take?

Many thanks
Page 1
    • consumers_revenge
    • By consumers_revenge 18th Jun 17, 4:29 PM
    • 2,846 Posts
    • 1,497 Thanks
    consumers_revenge
    • 18th Jun 17, 4:29 PM
    • 18th Jun 17, 4:29 PM
    which branch of halfrauds did you visit?
    • Jackmydad
    • By Jackmydad 18th Jun 17, 4:46 PM
    • 191 Posts
    • 107 Thanks
    Jackmydad
    • 18th Jun 17, 4:46 PM
    • 18th Jun 17, 4:46 PM
    £170 for a fifteen quid bearing and an hours work?
    That sounds expensive to me.
    If the bearing had gone within a few weeks of fitting then you might have a case, but after this amount of time I can't see you getting anything from them.
    I changed the front wheel bearing on one car we had. Got a decent bearing. Pressed in the new bearing correctly etc and it lasted about 12 months. Next one I fitted lasted the rest of the time we had the car. Several years.
    • Wilf23
    • By Wilf23 18th Jun 17, 5:05 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Wilf23
    • 18th Jun 17, 5:05 PM
    • 18th Jun 17, 5:05 PM
    Hi Jack,

I'm not questioning the garage that changed it in 2015, I'm questioning why the garage i took it to last week changed it when it had only done 10000 miles. I have a feeling they've told me they've changed it but in fact haven't done anything. In theory I should have a brand new O/S rear wheel bearing, but I have a suspicioun that it will be the same wheel bearing that was put on in 2015.

The garage in 2015 only charged £90 for supply and fit.
    • Jackmydad
    • By Jackmydad 18th Jun 17, 5:24 PM
    • 191 Posts
    • 107 Thanks
    Jackmydad
    • 18th Jun 17, 5:24 PM
    • 18th Jun 17, 5:24 PM
    I thought it was the same garage, but it doesn't make any difference.
    Wheel bearings can fail prematurely. Same as anything.
    What actually makes you think that they didn't change the bearing?
    It's hard to see how you can prove it even if they didn't.
    • Wilf23
    • By Wilf23 18th Jun 17, 5:27 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Wilf23
    • 18th Jun 17, 5:27 PM
    • 18th Jun 17, 5:27 PM
    No it was a different garage. And the wheel bearing hadn't failed, I expressed concern at a noise that might have been a wheel bearing or simply the noise of tyres on the road, and whatever the case the noise is still there.

I can prove it by getting a different garage to inspect the wheel bearing this week to verify it's one week old or 18 months old? Unless that doesn't prove conclusive?
    • Jackmydad
    • By Jackmydad 18th Jun 17, 6:30 PM
    • 191 Posts
    • 107 Thanks
    Jackmydad
    • 18th Jun 17, 6:30 PM
    • 18th Jun 17, 6:30 PM
    Maybe someone else will know differently, but I doubt very much if it'll be possible to prove conclusively that the bearing wasn't changed by normal inspection.

If I thought a garage had done this to me, I wouldn't bother with trying to prove it, I just wouldn't use them again.
    • Wilf23
    • By Wilf23 18th Jun 17, 6:51 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Wilf23
    • 18th Jun 17, 6:51 PM
    • 18th Jun 17, 6:51 PM
    Thanks Jack, it's why I'm on here really, to see if it's even worth bothering with. Frustrating from my end as I've read some bad reviews of similar behaviour. Don't like to see people like this ripping others off.
    • Jackmydad
    • By Jackmydad 18th Jun 17, 7:00 PM
    • 191 Posts
    • 107 Thanks
    Jackmydad
    • 18th Jun 17, 7:00 PM
    • 18th Jun 17, 7:00 PM
    Thanks Jack, it's why I'm on here really, to see if it's even worth bothering with. Frustrating from my end as I've read some bad reviews of similar behaviour. Don't like to see people like this ripping others off.
    Originally posted by Wilf23
    I don't like the idea of myself or others being ripped off either.
    At the end of the day though, I reckon you're going to have extra cost, and end up still not really proving anything. Another mechanic might be able to give an opinion, but that's all it would be. Not proof.
    I've known several people over the years who have started doing their own car repairs as far as possible for reasons much the same as this.
    If you want to use a garage the usual advice is to find a reliable smaller local one based on recommendation.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 18th Jun 17, 7:05 PM
    • 14,453 Posts
    • 12,773 Thanks
    AdrianC
    Wheel bearings can be very hard to identify conclusively - they "throw their voices" very well indeed.

And 10k miles is a short life for a wheel bearing, but if the old one was fitted by a halfwit, dry of grease or with a hammer instead of a press, it's far from surprising.
    • angrycrow
    • By angrycrow 18th Jun 17, 10:08 PM
    • 294 Posts
    • 205 Thanks
    angrycrow
    If the noise is still there check the tyre for saw tooth wear, most likely on rear. I had a tyre replaced last week the had severe sae tooth wear which made a noise just like a wheel bearing between 65 and 72 mph. This wear was caused by a sticking rear brake calliper dragging and over heating the tyre.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 19th Jun 17, 7:59 AM
    • 14,453 Posts
    • 12,773 Thanks
    AdrianC
    If the noise is still there check the tyre for saw tooth wear, most likely on rear. I had a tyre replaced last week the had severe sae tooth wear which made a noise just like a wheel bearing between 65 and 72 mph. This wear was caused by a sticking rear brake calliper dragging and over heating the tyre.
    Originally posted by angrycrow
    It's possible. Just swap the rear tyres side-to-side (or the tyres on each side front-to-rear if they're directional) to test.
    • Wilf23
    • By Wilf23 19th Jun 17, 9:01 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Wilf23
    Spoke to the garage, asked them if they believed the wheel bearing was the original and they said yes, then told them it was replaced 18months ago and they just went silent.

Told them I'd get it inspected by another garage but if that's inconclusive then I'll have to accept it I guess.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 19th Jun 17, 10:42 AM
    • 25,120 Posts
    • 9,967 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    How would they know it was changed 10,000 miles ago?

Ive bought brand new parts that were in a worse state than the item i was replacing.

Prove they did the work but it didnt need doing (virtually impossible now)

Or prove the items they removed were not faulty (again impossible unless you have the old parts)

Or pay for an inspection to see if they did actually change the parts they charged for, this wont be cheap for a proper inspection backed up with the paperwork needed to win in court if needed.

Can you tell the difference between a bearing thats done 10k miles and one recently fitted?
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • Jackmydad
    • By Jackmydad 19th Jun 17, 11:53 AM
    • 191 Posts
    • 107 Thanks
    Jackmydad
    How would they know it was changed 10,000 miles ago?

Ive bought brand new parts that were in a worse state than the item i was replacing.

Prove they did the work but it didnt need doing (virtually impossible now)

Or prove the items they removed were not faulty (again impossible unless you have the old parts)

Or pay for an inspection to see if they did actually change the parts they charged for, this wont be cheap for a proper inspection backed up with the paperwork needed to win in court if needed.

Can you tell the difference between a bearing thats done 10k miles and one recently fitted?
    Originally posted by forgotmyname
    I reckon the only way you'd get a proper opinion would be by sending the bearing to the maker for them to cut open and examine under a microscope. I expect they can tell but I don't know for sure.
    All of which, including the bearing replacement of course, isn't going to be cheap.
    To the OP, as I said before, I'd cut my losses and leave it. Don't use the garage again if you're unhappy with them.
    • Wilf23
    • By Wilf23 19th Jun 17, 8:24 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Wilf23
    Thanks all, I won't persue it then. It's motivates me to do a basic mechanics course though.
    • Geoff1963
    • By Geoff1963 19th Jun 17, 8:42 PM
    • 322 Posts
    • 185 Thanks
    Geoff1963
    Some lessons in life are like a vaccination. A bit unpleasant at the time, but better in the long run.
    Think of all the money you'll save, by the scepticism you've just paid for.

I've had a few lessons like that, so I know where you are coming from. Still, at least I can trust the Nigerian prince who is giving me a cut of the money that I'm helping him to bring into the country.
    • arcon5
    • By arcon5 19th Jun 17, 9:27 PM
    • 12,970 Posts
    • 8,205 Thanks
    arcon5
    Sounds like paranoia more than anything!
    For all you know they fitted an oem part which is why they look the same.
    • Strider590
    • By Strider590 20th Jun 17, 7:10 AM
    • 11,186 Posts
    • 6,216 Thanks
    Strider590
    Thanks all, I won't persue it then. It's motivates me to do a basic mechanics course though.
    Originally posted by Wilf23
    Whilst that may be of some use for throwing around and trying to look like you know what your talking about, I know plenty of computer science graduates who can't reinstall an OS or even so much as connect up a parallel printer.
    The idea of a basic mechanics course does not exactly fill me with confidence (although I think practical course are the best way to learn, rather than memorising text books).
    Having the last word isn't the same as being right.......

"Never confuse education with intelligence"
    • wgl2014
    • By wgl2014 20th Jun 17, 7:37 AM
    • 172 Posts
    • 88 Thanks
    wgl2014
    Consider joining a Ford owners forum such as http://www.talkford.com

A good source of info and advice especially if you are planning a bit of diy.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,371Posts Today

8,488Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's twitter poll: It's been everywhere, so why not here. Which Hogwart's house should you've been in (Ive put key traits to help)...

• Quick favour if uv graduated within around the last year. I could do with pic of a student loan statement (no personal info) inc interest

• RT @ValeOfLevenCU: Why not sign up to @MartinSLewis https://t.co/kxMBedCNNw weekly email for free, impartial tips? #ThriftyThursday http?

• Follow Martin