Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Nile
    • By Nile 18th Jun 17, 3:12 PM
    • 14,225Posts
    • 14,164Thanks
    Nile
    Birdbath duties
    • 18th Jun 17, 3:12 PM
    Birdbath duties 18th Jun 17 at 3:12 PM
    I love watching wild birds visit my garden for food and water.

The birdbath is requiring daily attention at the moment. It's not only that it needs topping up with water. Thanks to the dirty (pooping in the dish) habits of the wood pigeons it also needs cleaning daily.

So I say to our resident blackbirds, to the visiting robins and other small birds.........."you are very welcome to the food and drink."

Are you looking after the birds?
    Hi, I'm the Board Guide on the In my home (includes DIY) and the I wanna buy-it or do-it boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
Page 1
    • Le_Kirk
    • By Le_Kirk 18th Jun 17, 3:41 PM
    • 2,221 Posts
    • 1,131 Thanks
    Le_Kirk
    • 18th Jun 17, 3:41 PM
    • 18th Jun 17, 3:41 PM
    Like you, I find it is daily cleaning and topping up that is required. It is just part of the tub and pot watering schedule. We have a blackbird chick that has started using the plan pot saucer that is under the olive bush as it's own personal water supply.
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 18th Jun 17, 4:03 PM
    • 3,131 Posts
    • 4,968 Thanks
    another casualty
    • 18th Jun 17, 4:03 PM
    • 18th Jun 17, 4:03 PM
    Good question.
    I've just moved into a small flat, by a busy main road.
    The hedges get trimmed regularly , or so it seems.
    I'm thinking of putting a small birdbath by the living room window.
    Not sure if I need permission from the managing agents/ freeholder.
    Bird baths are essential in winter also
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 18th Jun 17, 5:55 PM
    • 23,712 Posts
    • 89,694 Thanks
    Davesnave
    • 18th Jun 17, 5:55 PM
    • 18th Jun 17, 5:55 PM
    An alternative viewpoint.

It's possible that badly-tended bird baths do more harm than good, if my experience with chickens is anything to go by. Currently, I have two which have picked up canker from wild birds. One has just died and the other is being treated. The chicken's water is changed at least daily, and often more frequently in hot weather.

I imagine these wild birds will also be drinking from the relatively small volume of water in local bird baths, and a similar scenario may play out, except that there won't be anyone on hand with veterinary anti-fungals.

I understand a related form of canker is the main reason behind the disappearance of my local greenfinches. There used to be dozens.

I don't know what the answer is. Drinking is only one way in which diseases like this are passed-on. Cleaning-bird baths daily seems very sensible. Maybe there's something that could be added to the water to decrease the risks. Potassium permanganate perhaps?
    Last edited by Davesnave; 18-06-2017 at 10:43 PM. Reason: clarifying
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
    • Geoff1963
    • By Geoff1963 18th Jun 17, 8:16 PM
    • 1,056 Posts
    • 679 Thanks
    Geoff1963
    • 18th Jun 17, 8:16 PM
    • 18th Jun 17, 8:16 PM
    How about reusing plastic food trays ? Instead of putting them straight in the recycling, they can have a few days of post-retirement work.
    • Nile
    • By Nile 18th Jun 17, 9:01 PM
    • 14,225 Posts
    • 14,164 Thanks
    Nile
    • 18th Jun 17, 9:01 PM
    • 18th Jun 17, 9:01 PM
    How about reusing plastic food trays ? Instead of putting them straight in the recycling, they can have a few days of post-retirement work.
    Originally posted by Geoff1963
    Thanks for the suggestion. I know it wouldn't work in my garden because the dirty (pooping in the dish) wood pigeon sometimes tips the heavy ceramic dish off the plinth and it topples onto the grass below. A lightweight plastic tray wouldn't last two minutes.
    Hi, I'm the Board Guide on the In my home (includes DIY) and the I wanna buy-it or do-it boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
    • no1catman
    • By no1catman 18th Jun 17, 9:31 PM
    • 2,589 Posts
    • 1,978 Thanks
    no1catman
    • 18th Jun 17, 9:31 PM
    • 18th Jun 17, 9:31 PM
    It's great to see the birds enjoying the bird-bath. I do need to keep it topped up - otherwise they'll try and use the cascade to the pond.

I either, just top it up, empty the dregs, add a bit - then a good scrap with a car wheel scraper, and then the final top up.

Also, have pigeons - saw one just sitting in it for awhile. Other times, it maybe a couple of blackbirds taking turns, or a cluster of sparrows having a good splash.
    I used to work for Tesco - now retired - speciality Clubcard
    • A.Penny.Saved
    • By A.Penny.Saved 19th Jun 17, 3:41 AM
    • 1,625 Posts
    • 855 Thanks
    A.Penny.Saved
    • 19th Jun 17, 3:41 AM
    • 19th Jun 17, 3:41 AM
    Maybe you could provide a shower for the little things. lmao

I believe that birds are adversed to tap water because they disbelieve the rubbish about fluoride being good for their teeth and will only bathe in mineral water. They do not want their nervous systems and intelligence lowered or their fertility reduced as it is in humans........the real reasons why fluoride is added to tap water, to reduce population growth.

BTW this has been statistically proven in the countries where fluoride has been added to tap water. It's a giant conspiracy by world governments.

Do your birds a favour and use rain water....
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 19th Jun 17, 6:21 AM
    • 23,712 Posts
    • 89,694 Thanks
    Davesnave
    • 19th Jun 17, 6:21 AM
    • 19th Jun 17, 6:21 AM
    It's a giant conspiracy by world governments.
    Originally posted by A.Penny.Saved
    It seems to be working. Some people are already daft enough to confuse adjectives with verbs; something the average house martin would never do.
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
    • LandyAndy
    • By LandyAndy 19th Jun 17, 9:48 AM
    • 23,998 Posts
    • 50,764 Thanks
    LandyAndy

Also, have pigeons - saw one just sitting in it for awhile. Other times, it maybe a couple of blackbirds taking turns, or a cluster of sparrows having a good splash.
    Originally posted by no1catman

We had one just sitting in it for a good ten minutes yesterday.
    • Geoff1963
    • By Geoff1963 19th Jun 17, 10:03 PM
    • 1,056 Posts
    • 679 Thanks
    Geoff1963
    How about reusing plastic food trays ?
    . . . with some kind of clamp to hold it in place.
    • no1catman
    • By no1catman 19th Jun 17, 10:19 PM
    • 2,589 Posts
    • 1,978 Thanks
    no1catman
    We had one just sitting in it for a good ten minutes yesterday.
    Originally posted by LandyAndy
    For the other waiting birds, it was a bad ten minutes.
    I used to work for Tesco - now retired - speciality Clubcard
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,501Posts Today

6,411Users online

Martin's Twitter