Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Goingslowlymad
    • By Goingslowlymad 18th Jun 17, 3:02 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Goingslowlymad
    Missing insurance indemnity policy for building regs
    • 18th Jun 17, 3:02 PM
    Missing insurance indemnity policy for building regs 18th Jun 17 at 3:02 PM
    Hi Everyone,

I need some advice re building regs insurance. I bought my current property after a bereavement and received all the paperwork from my solicitor, bar the indemnity policy for which I only had a copy of the front page sent by email. At the time after all the upheaval I foolishly ignored it, but now wanting to sell I find myself in a pickle. The policy was issued to the previous owner in 2009 and covered converting part of the integral garage to living accommodation. As said I only have an email copy of the front page, whereas my buyer wants the whole document and understandably so. I have been led to believe that because there is an existing policy I cannot get them a new one which I had thought would be the most expedient process. I have contacted the solicitor involved in my previous sale but they only give me the runaround. Is it truly impossible to get another policy? The last one was in the sellers name rather than mine so I am not having any luck getting a new copy of that. Any advice would be much appreciated, I am very worried my sale might fall through.
Page 1
    • unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 18th Jun 17, 3:14 PM
    • 1,558 Posts
    • 1,993 Thanks
    unforeseen
    • 18th Jun 17, 3:14 PM
    • 18th Jun 17, 3:14 PM
    Have you thought of going to building control and getting a regularisation certificate?
    • Goingslowlymad
    • By Goingslowlymad 19th Jun 17, 12:19 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Goingslowlymad
    • 19th Jun 17, 12:19 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 12:19 PM
    No I hadn't and it would probably pass, both according to the surveyor I had when I bought and also the one for my buyers. However the wheels of local government grind very slowly in my area and I do not think my buyer would be willing to wait that length of time. It would be a good solution if I lose my buyer.
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 19th Jun 17, 12:47 PM
    • 5,431 Posts
    • 5,128 Thanks
    davidmcn
    • 19th Jun 17, 12:47 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 12:47 PM
    I have been led to believe that because there is an existing policy I cannot get them a new one
    Originally posted by Goingslowlymad
    Who or what has led you to believe this? Just get a new policy, it seems the easiest solution.
    • Goingslowlymad
    • By Goingslowlymad 20th Jun 17, 6:12 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Goingslowlymad
    • 20th Jun 17, 6:12 PM
    • 20th Jun 17, 6:12 PM
    Hi, Yes after a weekend of worry I have now found out it can be sorted by getting a new one. The solicitors who have lost it were the ones who told me I could not get another one. I shall be using my barge pole if I ever find myself heading in their direction.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

398Posts Today

4,600Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin