Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • DonaldTrumpsHair
    • By DonaldTrumpsHair 18th Jun 17, 11:45 AM
    • 51Posts
    • 124Thanks
    DonaldTrumpsHair
    BT Youview box faulty or no?
    • 18th Jun 17, 11:45 AM
    BT Youview box faulty or no? 18th Jun 17 at 11:45 AM
    A lot of the time I cannot seem to switch on my TV and watch it, particularly in the evenings. Not sure if it is an aeriel/signal problem or there could be a fault with the box.

Often the pictures will be breaking up/pixillated then other times they are fine, mostly during daytime.

If I want to watch the i players, then it seems I have to reset my broadband and box (daily) to be able to access them. Sometimes the whole service (normal channels plus the i players) are unwatchable as the tv screen goes blank and I might have to reset the whole thing again from scratch.

It is very annoying when you sit down to watch something and find you can't unless you switch broadband off, then the tv, then switch them on agan etc. Half the time I turn off the whole thing and just surf the web on my phone.

Has anyone else had this kind of problem? I thought I would ask here before I make that call to BT. Thanks.
Page 1
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 18th Jun 17, 11:49 AM
    • 31,361 Posts
    • 37,049 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 18th Jun 17, 11:49 AM
    • 18th Jun 17, 11:49 AM
    there's 2 problems

the first one is Freeview signals are prone to atmospherics , the hot weather is playing havoc with the signal and blocks of or all the channels may go missing

the second one is more likely to be BT box problems , is it the latest small roundish box or an older one

I'd only mention the box problems to BT , not the other problem as they are likely to blame it ALL on your aerial.

Good luck with Bt TV support !
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I'm a volunteer to help them run smoothly and I can move and merge posts there. However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • DonaldTrumpsHair
    • By DonaldTrumpsHair 18th Jun 17, 12:26 PM
    • 51 Posts
    • 124 Thanks
    DonaldTrumpsHair
    • 18th Jun 17, 12:26 PM
    • 18th Jun 17, 12:26 PM
    Thanks ever so much! I keep putting off phoning them. Will do in the week.
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 18th Jun 17, 12:27 PM
    • 9,441 Posts
    • 3,857 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 18th Jun 17, 12:27 PM
    Reset your BT Hub .
    Reset your YouView Box .

Try viewing without the box .
    Check your box ethernet and hdmi connections .
    Use your BT member community forum for better BT help .
    • DonaldTrumpsHair
    • By DonaldTrumpsHair 18th Jun 17, 12:27 PM
    • 51 Posts
    • 124 Thanks
    DonaldTrumpsHair
    PS. Square older big box type.
    • DonaldTrumpsHair
    • By DonaldTrumpsHair 18th Jun 17, 12:29 PM
    • 51 Posts
    • 124 Thanks
    DonaldTrumpsHair
    • 18th Jun 17, 12:29 PM
    • 18th Jun 17, 12:29 PM
    Reset your BT Hub .
    Reset your YouView Box .

Try viewing without the box .
    Check your box ethernet and hdmi connections .
    Use your BT member community forum for better BT help .
    Originally posted by JJ Egan
    I do have to reset practically every day. Have checked all the other things. Will try the forums cheers.
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 18th Jun 17, 1:49 PM
    • 31,361 Posts
    • 37,049 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 18th Jun 17, 1:49 PM
    • 18th Jun 17, 1:49 PM
    There is a good chance they will offer a free box if you extend your contact on BT TV
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I'm a volunteer to help them run smoothly and I can move and merge posts there. However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • Rodders53
    • By Rodders53 18th Jun 17, 1:59 PM
    • 387 Posts
    • 272 Thanks
    Rodders53
    • 18th Jun 17, 1:59 PM
    • 18th Jun 17, 1:59 PM
    the first one is Freeview signals are prone to atmospherics , the hot weather is playing havoc with the signal and blocks of or all the channels may go missing
    Originally posted by Browntoa
    Actually a fairly rare cause of TV reception issues. Unless you know precisely where the OP lives and transmitter being watched and aerial used you cannot be sure that this is the cause. (Any more than I can be 100% certain it is not.)

Most such issues are related to poor / borderline aerial installations and frequently a simple dodgy/loose connection that a re-make or cable swap (aerial fly-lead and/or hdmi cable) can cure. {HDMI cable generate signals that can interfere with UHF TV signals, especially when the cables are less well screened (cheap, thin) or faulty/poorly terminated.}

Occasionally there is something local that causes interference to signals that gives similar symptoms.

Often worth asking if near neighbours are having similar issues. (Both for local interference and the less likely enhanced propagation interference. The latter being usually worst around dawn and dusk.}

Frequently people stack electronic equipment or place is cabinets/shelving with insufficient ventilation and that can cause overheating problems.

The BT Humax box is plastic cased (the retail version is all-metal) and may allow interference in from another device stacked on or near it?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

142Posts Today

1,182Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin