Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 18th Jun 17, 11:36 AM
    • 2,742Posts
    • 4,248Thanks
    another casualty
    Griddle pans/ George Foreman grills ..
    • 18th Jun 17, 11:36 AM
    Griddle pans/ George Foreman grills .. 18th Jun 17 at 11:36 AM
    Howdy !
    I have tried to cook the right way over the years . I had a few George Foreman grills over the years , but I'm a now a little confused as there seems t be loads of stuff out there now.
    I had a first generation Foreman grill, lasted about 5 years. Using it daily , I have no complaints . About 5 years ago, I got another Foreman . This time with removable grills. That was beginning to get filthy and I dumped it last year when I moved flat.
    Back in December , I got a George Foreman melt . The grills are a grey colour. The melt thing I found confusing and poor.
    I overdid a piece chicken on it and more or less ruined it.
    When I plugged it in in my new flat, the lights never worked.
    So I am binning it . It looks a bit of a dirt trap too imho
    Which brings me to..

Griddles ! Not sure if these are any good . I purchased a nice red one
    I notice in the various shops I looked , there are no lids. Why is that?
    I thought all frying pans came with lids. Also , there is a groove on the pan . What's that all about ? I would've assumed that if there was a lid then the pan could tilt and all the fat runs out .
    The next question is: what's better and healthier ? George or the griddle ? Are they both good or useless? Why no lid ?
    Food for thought
Page 1
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 18th Jun 17, 11:45 AM
    • 733 Posts
    • 554 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    • 18th Jun 17, 11:45 AM
    • 18th Jun 17, 11:45 AM
    Can you actually cook?

Why not use the oven?
    • dj1471
    • By dj1471 18th Jun 17, 1:12 PM
    • 721 Posts
    • 486 Thanks
    dj1471
    • 18th Jun 17, 1:12 PM
    • 18th Jun 17, 1:12 PM
    A griddle pan is designed to sear meat, it's not used in the same way as a frying pan or a George Foreman style grill.

These grills are fine for what they are, they cook quicker than a traditional grill and use less energy. There are plenty of simple cheap alternatives to the George Foreman brand. If your main concern is fat content then consider steaming, you only need a cheap saucepan and a bamboo steamer.

Also it sounds like there's a serious electrical fault in your new flat - call your landlord or an electrician.
    • Strider590
    • By Strider590 18th Jun 17, 1:29 PM
    • 11,295 Posts
    • 6,276 Thanks
    Strider590
    • 18th Jun 17, 1:29 PM
    • 18th Jun 17, 1:29 PM
    Looks like we have a student...... Have you tried pot noodles yet?
    Having the last word isn't the same as being right.......

"Never confuse education with intelligence"
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 18th Jun 17, 2:30 PM
    • 23,435 Posts
    • 65,482 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    • 18th Jun 17, 2:30 PM
    • 18th Jun 17, 2:30 PM
    You won't see a chef using a George Foreman grill. You would see them use a griddle.

Griddles are designed to sear meat, as mentioned above. It's a fast way of cooking. Putting a lid on it would result in steaming.

You don't put oil in a griddle either. Season your meat and rub in a small amount of oil, it just stops it from sticking.

I can't stand those grills because I like my food with flavour and moisture
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 18th Jun 17, 3:36 PM
    • 2,742 Posts
    • 4,248 Thanks
    another casualty
    • 18th Jun 17, 3:36 PM
    • 18th Jun 17, 3:36 PM
    Thanks everyone
    Student ? I wish . I just got lazy and complacent . Yeah, conventional ovens are obviously good but cleaning them is a pita .
    Questions answered . Amazing really, George Foreman made more from those than in boxing apparently .
    • kleapatra
    • By kleapatra 18th Jun 17, 6:40 PM
    • 191 Posts
    • 190 Thanks
    kleapatra
    • 18th Jun 17, 6:40 PM
    • 18th Jun 17, 6:40 PM
    I'm not a student and I can actually cook but I have just bought a tefal optigrill- it's amazing and puts my old George foreman to shame. It wasn't cheap but cooks meats perfectly- tasty and juicy. You can can cook with different temps unlike the George and it has settings for different meat types. My best purchase in ages and the grill plates go in the dishwasher. Oh and the plates are easy to put on and remove- unlike my old George foreman!
    • Murphybear
    • By Murphybear 18th Jun 17, 7:09 PM
    • 3,092 Posts
    • 6,370 Thanks
    Murphybear
    • 18th Jun 17, 7:09 PM
    • 18th Jun 17, 7:09 PM
    I'm not a student and I can actually cook but I have just bought a tefal optigrill- it's amazing and puts my old George foreman to shame. It wasn't cheap but cooks meats perfectly- tasty and juicy. You can can cook with different temps unlike the George and it has settings for different meat types. My best purchase in ages and the grill plates go in the dishwasher. Oh and the plates are easy to put on and remove- unlike my old George foreman!
    Originally posted by kleapatra
    My GF has 4 different temperature settings. I find it great for burgers and gammon steaks.
    • rach_k
    • By rach_k 18th Jun 17, 8:22 PM
    • 939 Posts
    • 1,626 Thanks
    rach_k
    • 18th Jun 17, 8:22 PM
    • 18th Jun 17, 8:22 PM
    I've never had a frying pan with a lid. Is that odd? My other pans have them but never frying pans.

If your griddle pan is cast iron, google how to season and maintain it and it'll be great to cook with. I much prefer ours to the GF grill the husband bought. It's much easier to care for and I think it cooks better, although being a vegetarian I don't benefit from it much myself!

The groove around the edge of the pan is to collect fat/juices. I don't normally see much though, perhaps because you cook quickly so the juices remain in the meat or maybe we don't cook very fatty meat?
    • LandyAndy
    • By LandyAndy 19th Jun 17, 9:37 AM
    • 23,680 Posts
    • 50,289 Thanks
    LandyAndy
    My GF has 4 different temperature settings..
    Originally posted by Murphybear

Does she indeed!

Sounds like fun.
    • Cupcake Returns
    • By Cupcake Returns 19th Jun 17, 10:22 AM
    • 82 Posts
    • 256 Thanks
    Cupcake Returns
    What does a GF do that can't be done in a normal grill ?

I was given. GF years ago and tbh I found it to be a PITA. Only having a small kitchen trying to find the space to use it was job its self. Then I'd invariably knock the drainage dish so fat would drip over the work top

The grill on a cooker works just fine keeping the food out of the fat so it's just as healthy. I do have a griddle for steaks and it's great for doing chicken tikka, gets a good crust on the chicken rather akin to it being put in a tandoor

You can't really fry with a lid, which is why frying pans don't have them. Add a lid and you create steam, therefore the food will not fry. Saut! pans do have lids, the steam is needed to saut!
    • Chrishazle
    • By Chrishazle 19th Jun 17, 11:10 AM
    • 413 Posts
    • 233 Thanks
    Chrishazle
    I've used cast iron griddles for years, but in a recent John Lewis sale I treated myself to a Le Creuset TNS (toughened non stick) griddle pan. We already have quite a few TNS saucepans and wok, and find them tremendous. OK, it was £75 in the sale, so not cheap, but it's fantastic. I've found I do not need to even lightly brush the pan with oil, I just brush a little oil onto whatever I'm going to cook and that's enough. Rinses clean very easily - we've found nothing sticks to TNS pans even when preparing a chilli/bolognese sause/casserole and simmering for a long time. We also use Lakeland's pan protectors between pans as we have to stack them for storage - means the non stick coating does not get chipped.
    • ohreally
    • By ohreally 19th Jun 17, 2:33 PM
    • 6,099 Posts
    • 4,638 Thanks
    ohreally
    My GF has 4 different temperature settings
    I'm so tempted 😷
    • Ebe Scrooge
    • By Ebe Scrooge 19th Jun 17, 3:30 PM
    • 3,714 Posts
    • 3,103 Thanks
    Ebe Scrooge
    My GF has 4 different temperature settings.

Think yourself lucky. My wife only has 3 - "Frosty", "Icy" and "Boiling"
    I may not know much about art, but I know what I like.
    • Chrishazle
    • By Chrishazle 19th Jun 17, 5:57 PM
    • 413 Posts
    • 233 Thanks
    Chrishazle
    You beat me to the description of the wife's temper-ature settings!
    • Murphybear
    • By Murphybear 20th Jun 17, 5:34 PM
    • 3,092 Posts
    • 6,370 Thanks
    Murphybear
    Does she indeed!

Sounds like fun.
    Originally posted by LandyAndy
    :
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

344Posts Today

4,104Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin