Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dougal41
    • By dougal41 18th Jun 17, 11:26 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    dougal41
    Buildings insurance for property left in will
    • 18th Jun 17, 11:26 AM
    Buildings insurance for property left in will 18th Jun 17 at 11:26 AM
    My Mother passed a little over 2 years ago, and her home, owned outright with no mortgage, was left to my sister and I. The executors are currently in the process of changing the deeds into my sister and I's names.

A stipulation in the will states that my step father will have a life rent on the property, until he either moves out of the home, remarries or passes, and neither my sister or I have a problem with this as we have our own properties.

The question I have is what kind of insurance do we need for the property as our names are on the deed, but we are unsure as to get general home insurance, or landlords insurance?

We will not be charging our step father any rent, and he will be paying the bills and general upkeep of the property, so not sure if landlord insurance is right, and we will not be residing in the property, so not too sure of general home insurance is correct?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Page 1
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 18th Jun 17, 1:19 PM
    • 32,781 Posts
    • 16,805 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 18th Jun 17, 1:19 PM
    • 18th Jun 17, 1:19 PM
    Landlord insurance
    • paddyandstumpy
    • By paddyandstumpy 18th Jun 17, 2:32 PM
    • 788 Posts
    • 323 Thanks
    paddyandstumpy
    • 18th Jun 17, 2:32 PM
    • 18th Jun 17, 2:32 PM
    Technically landlord insurance, however you may find the existing insurer will cover the buildings only whilst it's lived in by a family member.

Given it's a stepfather, it's technically not family, but the principle remains the same. Any common sense Underwriter should agree the same.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

696Posts Today

5,343Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin