Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 18th Jun 17, 7:36 AM
    • 12,117Posts
    • 35,060Thanks
    Nelski
    O/S Daily Thread Fathers Day
    • 18th Jun 17, 7:36 AM
    O/S Daily Thread Fathers Day 18th Jun 17 at 7:36 AM
    This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.
Page 1
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 18th Jun 17, 7:45 AM
    • 1,113 Posts
    • 9,228 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    • 18th Jun 17, 7:45 AM
    • 18th Jun 17, 7:45 AM
    Morning everyone,

Thank you for starting us off Nelski

Hugs to those that are unwell or having a difficult time at the moment.

It was glorious weather yesterday, it seems like summer has finally arrived.

Me, my brother’s family and our visitors all went out and about yesterday, visiting a few places that we all knew well but haven’t been to for a number of years. We included a brief stop at the seaside on our travels in the hope that a sea breeze and an ice cream would cool us all down, and had a walk along the prom.

Then a back to my brothers for some afternoon tea and out for a meal in the evening. It was one of the most enjoyable times that I have had for a long while.

Today will be much of the same. My sister in law is cooking this evening but we have had a change of plan and are going to cook some chickens and have salad bits and a cold buffet. It is too hot for anyone to fancy a roast.

For some reason my niece isn’t in a very good mood and was a bit sulky yesterday, which is so unlike her. She moaned a lot about where we were going, and just seemed out of sorts. I hope that it is nothing serious worrying her, but something is.

Time to go and get another cup of tea and some breakfast, and wait to be picked up by my cousin.

I hope that you all have a good day whatever you are doing
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 18th Jun 17, 7:48 AM
    • 12,117 Posts
    • 35,060 Thanks
    Nelski
    • 18th Jun 17, 7:48 AM
    • 18th Jun 17, 7:48 AM
    Good morning lovelies

Happy Fathers Day to all your lovely dads ......give them an extra hug for me today wont you

Thank you for all your thoughts about my mums rude remarks and I am glad nobody did tell me I was being harsh to her. karcher you made my eyes leak a little ...thank you

No real plans today except to enjoy this weather and possibly meet up with a friend who was staying in Liverpool for the weekend for a Fathers Day free lunch .....not sure how possible that will be of course.
    Did think about cleaning but cant be bovvered so house can stay manky although the washing is on

Elona I ordered the brochure last night and will be showing it to her soon as .....they dont even look that nice certainly my kitchen can produce better for 4 quid

HH I am going to get some of those "treats"

Hope you all enjoy the lovely weather make sure you put plenty of sunscreen on
    Last edited by Nelski; 18-06-2017 at 7:56 AM.
    • tru
    • By tru 18th Jun 17, 7:58 AM
    • 8,574 Posts
    • 43,161 Thanks
    tru
    • 18th Jun 17, 7:58 AM
    • 18th Jun 17, 7:58 AM
    Morning

Thanks Nels xx Dad is doing great and will be in the pub at lunchtime for his usual sunday drinks with his brother The only thing he's doing differently is sleeping in a chair (a half-upright garden lounger!) for two nights per fortnight while the pump is doing it's job. He doesn't have to, and he's been told nothing will happen, but he always ends up turning onto his left side when he's asleep and he's worried he'll break the pump, lol.
    The lady just laughs when Scampi yells at her wheels, we've given up trying to chat when she's out and about, we just shout hello to each other from across the road
    Hope today is OK for you xx

Four cats on our walk yesterday, he held it together (but was a bit grumbly) for the first three but the last one shot out of a hedge right in front of us. He went mental, the cat was hissing and scratching and tried to do an impression of a facehugger from Alien while I was holding on to the lead for dear life. I tried to march him away but had no chance, just as well he was on a lead because the cat would've been dead if not. Cat was fine and Scampi had a small scratch on his nose.

It was too hot for me yesterday, when the sun moved round the back at 2pm-ish I closed all the back curtains. There was a slight breeze so I left the windows open and managed to stay quite cool. It's supposed to be hotter today, not looking forward to it at all. I was hoping to go to see dad early but I can't get there til late morning, their house will be cool but I'll be moaning about the heat on the way there and back I've been awake since 4.45am, I expect I'll fall asleep this afternoon.

Bulletproof
    • TravellingAbuela
    • By TravellingAbuela 18th Jun 17, 8:04 AM
    • 3,674 Posts
    • 22,367 Thanks
    TravellingAbuela
    • 18th Jun 17, 8:04 AM
    • 18th Jun 17, 8:04 AM
    Morning folks and thanks NELSKI. Father's Day will be a particularly sad one for you this year. It's 38 years since I lost my lovely dad (so suddenly I never had a chance to say goodbye or tell him how much I loved him) and I still miss him. He was the kindest most loving dad I could have wished for.

This Father's Day we are invited down to DD's where she is having a BBQ. DS, his lovely lady friend and her 9 yo DD are joining us. (Her boys are off to some car thing with their own dad) DD's lovely BF will end up doing the cooking as he always does! The giant Specially Selected Plum Crumble Tart I got ys for 37p after Xmas is going with us for dessert! I knew it would come in for some occasion or other when I spotted it at that bargain price!

Mr TA now out of bed so the bedding is going in the wm and will dry in record time in this heat.

Have a good day folks and (HUGS) to all in need/want of one. Take care all xx
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
    • Hard Up Hester
    • By Hard Up Hester 18th Jun 17, 8:07 AM
    • 3,181 Posts
    • 37,871 Thanks
    Hard Up Hester
    • 18th Jun 17, 8:07 AM
    • 18th Jun 17, 8:07 AM
    Morning all

Thanks for the thread Nelski, hugs to anyone in need.

It's already warm here, I walked across to the bridge between the big pond and the little pond at 6 o'clock to watch the geese march their goslings from one to the other.

We open and shut our hatches and curtains depending on which side of the boat is in the shade, we probably won't tilt the solar panels today as it should be sunny all day.

More sweeping and mopping will be done soon.

Have a good day everyone.
    Hugs Hester
    Chin up, Titus out.
    • Gers
    • By Gers 18th Jun 17, 8:24 AM
    • 5,913 Posts
    • 34,998 Thanks
    Gers
    • 18th Jun 17, 8:24 AM
    • 18th Jun 17, 8:24 AM
    Morning everyone.

My beloved father is also dead. I miss him a lot even though it's been 20 years. I can't bear to go inside card shops this time of year.

I slept soundly until 6am and the fitfully until now. My vivid dreams come in the early morning snoozes so it's been interesting.

The washing I wasn't going to do yesterday is still hanging up in the spare room. I've set the dehumidifier off again as I'm off to Glasgow in a couple of hours.

So that's my day, driving down to mum's, I'll probably stop st the Oyster Bar for some fishy stuff for her and then a sm for me.

I hope everyone has a great Sunday, with or without their dad.
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 18th Jun 17, 8:56 AM
    • 1,678 Posts
    • 19,881 Thanks
    LaineyT
    • 18th Jun 17, 8:56 AM
    • 18th Jun 17, 8:56 AM
    Morning everyone,

Thanks for the thread Nelski the first years without are always so tough, am going through the same with my darling Mum who died in January, much love x
    My lovely Dad has been gone four years but I think about them both every day
    Your day sounds smashing Holly hope your DN is ok.
    Very warm already here in EA, we had the fan on all night so did get some sleep, lord knows how hot it must be in the cities, at least we get a bit of a breeze coming off the fields. My DSS's are popping over this afternoon to see OH, I made a lemon sponge yesterday so that's all done and apart from bacon butties in a short while there will be no cooking in this house! We have ham and salad bits so no-one will starve.

Have a good day folks x
    • redruby
    • By redruby 18th Jun 17, 9:38 AM
    • 6,484 Posts
    • 89,756 Thanks
    redruby
    • 18th Jun 17, 9:38 AM
    • 18th Jun 17, 9:38 AM
    Morning all

Thinking of Nels today the first anniversary's are always worst, also thinking of my dad he was such a kind, gentle but strong man who suffered terribly but with such dignity, I miss him so much

Another scorcher here I have washing on the go which will dry in no time, I have a gammon joint to out in the sc which we will have tonight with new pots and salad so no cooking really.

I have woken with a sore throat and runny nose so I hope that goes sharpish !
    Will walk around the village today to look at the open gardens also get a cream tea at the village hall and there are classic cars too. should be a nice afternoon.

DD is off out with her dad she will treat him to lunch somewhere.

Please put some water out for the birds they struggle to find some in this hot weather.

Have good days all xx
    • carolbee
    • By carolbee 18th Jun 17, 10:55 AM
    • 969 Posts
    • 6,328 Thanks
    carolbee
    Morning all

Thinking of Nels today the first anniversary's are always worst, also thinking of my dad he was such a kind, gentle but strong man who suffered terribly but with such dignity, I miss him so much

Another scorcher here I have washing on the go which will dry in no time, I have a gammon joint to out in the sc which we will have tonight with new pots and salad so no cooking really.

I have woken with a sore throat and runny nose so I hope that goes sharpish !
    Will walk around the village today to look at the open gardens also get a cream tea at the village hall and there are classic cars too. should be a nice afternoon.

DD is off out with her dad she will treat him to lunch somewhere.

Please put some water out for the birds they struggle to find some in this hot weather.

Have good days all xx
    Originally posted by redruby
    Are you going to the Minster open gardens? If so, you must be near me?
    Carolbee
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 18th Jun 17, 11:15 AM
    • 3,115 Posts
    • 39,078 Thanks
    monnagran
    It's a hard day for all of us who have lost much loved fathers. My own darling Dad died 6 years ago on Fathers Day at the good age of 97. My DB had been with him all day in the hospital and rang to say that when he arrived Dad had been made to sit up in a chair and DB had insisted he be put back into bed, However, he didn't seem to be aware that DB was there. The next daythe ambulance was to have brought him over to the Island where I had a room for him in a beautiful Nursing Home just around the corner from me. Sadly, in the night I received a phone call to say that he had deteriorated and in spite of managing to catch the last ferry and breaking all the speed limits, I arrived just too late.

So this is a doubly sad anniversary for me. I will give his cap, which lives on the newel post of my stairs, an extra pat tonight.

It doesn't matter how old you are, your Dad will always be your Dad, and no matter how old your children are, they will always be your babies.

x
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • nannywindow
    • By nannywindow 18th Jun 17, 11:27 AM
    • 417 Posts
    • 5,058 Thanks
    nannywindow
    Morning all, it's another very hot day here. It hit 28 yesterday and about 17 last night, very uncomfortable but I slept well. Don't think there were any disturbances last night but I think I was comatose anyway .
    Dad will be coming over soon for a roast lunch and his tea, not to mention his card and presents. I hope he likes them, although he will tell me if he doesn't.
    DD has been over with DH presents and card and she brought the puppy too. Can't believe how much he's grown in 2 weeks. He seemed to like my garden, lots of nooks and crannies to explore but DD had to keep him on the lead as we have two gates which he could squeeze through and he'd be off ! DD and DGS are going to puppy training classes next week, with Rafa of course.
    Hope everyone has a good day and hugs to all.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 18th Jun 17, 1:09 PM
    • 2,631 Posts
    • 17,177 Thanks
    caronc
    Good afternoon, thanks to Nelsksi for starting the thread and hugs to those missing their Dad's today xx

My sister is picking me up in a bit and we will visit our Dad. I've got him a chamomile plant for his door step it smells lovely and should look pretty when it flowers.

Apart from that I've no plans apart from a potter in the garden if it stays dry later.

Hope everyone has a good day xx
    July £185/£170, August £108/£120, Sep GC £121/£120, Oct GC £141/£200, Nov £96/£120
    • csarina2
    • By csarina2 18th Jun 17, 2:26 PM
    • 1,737 Posts
    • 16,195 Thanks
    csarina2
    Good afternoon ((((((((((hugs)))))))))) if you need one.

My goodness it is hot, I opened the door to the sitting room and thought the fire was on, I have kept the curtains closed to try and keep most of the heat out.

Another pound of strawberries picked and still more ripening......I have 3lbs in the freezer for jam and two dishes for dessert after supper.

Into town this morning Lidl was jammed, no milk left and stuff flying off the shelves into baskets guess people are having barbies.... not us, just debating whether or not to cook the chicken will see what OH says when he gets up after his siesta.

Called at DD2's for coffee and biscuits, she has started sorting out her kitchen ready for her new units, to old pantry she was going to block off has been reopened and thoroughly cleaned and now has the contents of two of the sets of shelves in there, the shelves are in the shed. Big plans ahead. her son is going to rip out and re fit the kitchen for her.

Back home OH went for his siesta, I am sitting with the fan on reading, its boiling hot outside, one thermometer says 84c the other over 90c phew.........
    • ancientofdays
    • By ancientofdays 18th Jun 17, 2:57 PM
    • 1,249 Posts
    • 14,063 Thanks
    ancientofdays
    We have been to Manchester airport and back to meet our son who is actually flying back tomorrow. I can't quite work out how my OH managed to get this wrong but at least the car has air conditioning, unlike the house, which was like walking into a sauna.

I miss my dad too, I do have a stepfather though since I only acquired him in my late 40s obviously don't have childhood memories. He is a lovely chap but now very frail.

And now I think I will find something to do.
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
    • redruby
    • By redruby 18th Jun 17, 4:44 PM
    • 6,484 Posts
    • 89,756 Thanks
    redruby
    Are you going to the Minster open gardens? If so, you must be near me?
    Originally posted by carolbee

No Hun we are in west sussex in a tiny village, we walked up to the village hall had a good look round, bought some beautiful home-grown tomatoes and stopped for a drink in the pub, it was too hot for me and my nose is streaming so on the sofa now with the fan going, I am hoping OH will do dinner

Have good evenings all xx
    Last edited by redruby; 18-06-2017 at 8:51 PM.
    • Judi
    • By Judi 18th Jun 17, 5:05 PM
    • 15,303 Posts
    • 62,840 Thanks
    Judi
    Afternoon all, well evening really but there you go.

I was a no show yesterday. Didnt switch my pc on till quite late and by that time i was fit for nothing.

Last night Hubby and i went for a pleasant drink by the riverside. We spent many a week caravanning there when the kids were little. The field was right next to the river but the more kids i had, the more i worried about where they were playing because the play area was a bit too close to the river for my liking. You need eyes at the back of your head at the best of times but by the time child number 4 came i was severely stretched and we stopped going. Met a woman who was moored there, filling her water containers. She reminded me so much of Hester, during the summer months they live on their boat and rent their house out. They live it again in the winter months. They had been doing this for 18 years and love the freedom its given them. Taught them a lot about themselves too.

Today, went clothes shopping for hubby. Youngest had given him some money for Fathers day and he needed new jeans so i braved the heat whilst hubby stayed in the car.

Home now, lots to do but it can wait until later.

My Dad died in 1980. He was one of the quiet ones. He had all the patience my Mother lacked and was gentle and kind. I never heard him say a bad word about anyone and it goes without saying, i loved him very much.

Onwards and forwards,

have a great day all.
    'Holy crap on a cracker!'
    • Gers
    • By Gers 18th Jun 17, 5:23 PM
    • 5,913 Posts
    • 34,998 Thanks
    Gers
    Made it DM's fine, not too much traffic going down. Even my pit stop wasn't too long.

Was greeted by a list of chores! Most all done apart from renewing her car insurance which I'll do in the morning. The most surprising job was to organise her BT upgrade to Infinity. I have no idea why she wants it but it's fine. I'm so so so so flipping jealous- she'll get about 52 -55mbs soon, I'm stuck with a mighty 2mbs in my field with no short or even medium term hope of more.

Anyway...I've transferred the two audio recordings from 1979 to family in Australia. Easy done by wetransfer.com - DM's now sitting with her headphones on trying to listen too. She's rather deaf and may not get everything being said.

Fine and warm here. Off for my tea.

A very good evening to everyone.
    • FurryBeastOz
    • By FurryBeastOz 18th Jun 17, 9:52 PM
    • 1,097 Posts
    • 14,464 Thanks
    FurryBeastOz
    Evening all. Just got back. We almost missed the flight and had a mad dash through Stansted airport. Very unpleasant. It hit 30degrees in my parents back garden at lunch time. We ended up moving inside.

Yesterday should have been great. But I was completely out of it. I think I must have been running on adrenaline for 2 weeks, and the 11pm bed and 3 am wake-up hit me like a ton of bricks.

I was sick in the car from the airport to my parents (narrowly managed to get my sister to pull over), then I slept for 2 hrs before lunch. Lunch was very tasty, but I slept again when we got back. Got up at 7 and was back in bed by 9. I finally surfaced at 10 o'clock this morning just in time for church.

It was lovely to see my Dad on Father's Day though. Not that he really pays any attention to it. As he pointed out, it was created by the French in 1949 in order to sell cigarette lighters!

Must get back into my routine tomorrow. Early run I think. It was far too hot to do that in London.

I hope everyone had a lovely weekend.
    *** Debt Free***
    NST October 1/18
    Goals - Weight loss 0/13lb from 1st Jul 17
    GC To 1/10/17 £2416.17£3,500, 69.03/74.79% of the year. Had to raise budget
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

206Posts Today

1,347Users online

Martin's Twitter