Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dandy-candy
    • By dandy-candy 17th Jun 17, 11:36 PM
    • 1,645Posts
    • 8,600Thanks
    dandy-candy
    Keeping cool!
    • 17th Jun 17, 11:36 PM
    Keeping cool! 17th Jun 17 at 11:36 PM
    I thought we could share ideas on keeping cool in this heatwave. Here's some I've done.

1) Have windows open but curtains closed in the rooms with direct sun

2) Run a wet mop over the tiled floors in the house, makes the rooms lovely and cool while it evaporates!

3) I've old fashioned stoneware hot water bottles I've picked up at car boot sales for a couple of quid. I fill them with crushed ice and cold water and put them in with the rabbit and guinea pigs, they lie up against them and sleep. Could be useful for other furry pets.

4) Filled empty bottles with water and keeping them in the fridge to make super cold squash for me and the kids.

5) Remind everyone to refill the ice cube tray

What other suggestions can you add?
Page 2
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 18th Jun 17, 9:39 PM
    • 4,526 Posts
    • 19,104 Thanks
    Slinky
    One other thing on the money saving side of things:

I turn down the thermostat on my hot water boiler/heater during hot weather. The last thing I want/need is a hot shower so no point heating the water to a high temperature just to drown it out by turning up the cold tap.
    Originally posted by karcher

Don't keep it like that for too long, you need to make sure your water hits 60C in the tank to cut the risk of legionnaires disease.
    • TiredTrophy
    • By TiredTrophy 18th Jun 17, 9:50 PM
    • 341 Posts
    • 5,961 Thanks
    TiredTrophy
    If you can hang something outside your window so the sun does not shine directly on the glass it really helps.....pity shutters are not a thing in the uk.
    Go and take your knitting and sit under a big tree....often cooler than the house alslo grass is cooler than tarmac so a tree in the park would be nice.
    Always carry a parasol or umbrella and wear long white loose clothing.....no vests and shorts....and a hat.
    Visit an old church....thick stone walls and high ceiling or any public building with air conditioning......
    If it is really hot lie under a damp cotton sheet with a fan running. .(.switch the fan on with dry hands...)....

Here it is at least 30 during the day....today I lay in the river for an hour in a teeshirt, hat and sunglasses....too hot to sleep though.
    • melanzana
    • By melanzana 18th Jun 17, 10:02 PM
    • 2,367 Posts
    • 6,662 Thanks
    melanzana
    I do what our Spanish and other Southern Med cousins do.

Close the curtains during the day, but keep the windows open a crack like the little holes in the shutters. I have a blackout blind in my South facing bedroom and do this. It is a revelation.

Wet wipes. Open them and drip a little cold water into the pack. Put pack in the fridge. OMG it is sooo good when the face gets sweaty.

A top sheet is a godsend on its own. I haven't used one in years, just change the duvet cover regularly. But it is great.

Enjoy the heat. It won't last. We will have rain soon..... sorry!
    • karcher
    • By karcher 18th Jun 17, 10:03 PM
    • 1,265 Posts
    • 10,618 Thanks
    karcher
    Don't keep it like that for too long, you need to make sure your water hits 60C in the tank to cut the risk of legionnaires disease.
    Originally posted by Slinky
    I didn't know that, thanks for the advice. How long is too long?
    • caronc
    • By caronc 18th Jun 17, 10:16 PM
    • 2,222 Posts
    • 14,998 Thanks
    caronc
    It's not an issue if you have a combination boiler only if you are storing "hottish " water. However, my understanding it is more of a risk where water is "stagnant" for a period of time so unless you have a very large hot water tank or you seldom use it, I reckon the risk is fairly small.
    May GC £150/£150, June GC £117/£120, July £185/£170, August £108/£120, Sep GC £109/£120
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 18th Jun 17, 10:20 PM
    • 12,708 Posts
    • 16,895 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    Due to the amount of chlorine used in UK mains water, the risk of Legionaires is negligible.

If it wasn't, you'd know about it.
    Advice; it rhymes with mice. Advise; it rhymes with wise.
    • karcher
    • By karcher 18th Jun 17, 10:20 PM
    • 1,265 Posts
    • 10,618 Thanks
    karcher
    It's not an issue if you have a combination boiler only if you are storing "hottish " water. However, my understanding it is more of a risk where water is "stagnant" for a period of time so unless you have a very large hot water tank or you seldom use it, I reckon the risk is fairly small.
    Originally posted by caronc
    Ah ok thanks. The water is used very regularly so I doubt it's a concern for me.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 19th Jun 17, 7:45 AM
    • 59,936 Posts
    • 350,317 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I rented a flat once with a water tank, which I never used. I never heated the water in that tank, never ran the hot tap. I lived there over two years.

I had little to wash up, so always boiled a kettle - and the shower was electric.
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 19th Jun 17, 9:06 AM
    • 993 Posts
    • 5,116 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    Not really an issue here but a bucket/basin of cold water to "steep" your feet is fab for generally cooling you down,

Soak you feet in a bowl cool water, it really does cool you down.
    Yes, I've been using my foot spa, but with cold water. It really feels lovely and cools you down.
    "It doesn't cost any more to dream big."
    • Judi
    • By Judi 19th Jun 17, 10:11 AM
    • 15,066 Posts
    • 61,268 Thanks
    Judi
    We gave our dogs a hair cut the weekend as even with the air con going they were still panting a lot.

Weve never cut them so short before but they havent panted once since. They look like geriatric puppies.

The garden is out of bounds in this weather. Its far too hot. They have to make do with the side of the house where its cooler.

They have grade 3 and grade 4 heart murmurs so we have to be so careful.
    'Holy crap on a cracker!'
    • Primrose
    • By Primrose 19th Jun 17, 11:58 AM
    • 7,609 Posts
    • 25,625 Thanks
    Primrose
    Fill a hot water bottle with chilled water from the fridge and take it to bed with yiunto kwep you cool.

Always wear cotton underwear wether than nylon - it absorbs more sweat.

Have a tepid shower or strip wash before going to bed. Don't towel yiurself down. Lay a large bath towel on top of your bed and lie on it to let the moisture evaporate.

If you have robust inexpensive cotton bedroom curtains leave the windows partly opened, the urtqins partly closed and fine spray the curtains with plain water from an empty household cleaner plastic bottle. The evaporation will help cool the air.

Sit with your bare feet in a bowl of cold water for a few minutes and keep face and arms regularly rinsed with cold water.

Offer your postman or other delivery callers a glass of chilled water.

Don!t fret! We'll soon be back to normal British wet weather again and then we'll all be complaining about that!
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 19th Jun 17, 12:39 PM
    • 23,217 Posts
    • 48,470 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Don!t fret! We'll soon be back to normal British wet weather again and then we'll all be complaining about that!
    Originally posted by Primrose
    I really struggled with the heat yesterday, even more so today. I feel like I'm operating in a foggy haze yet other people manage to function perfectly well. Ironically, I only felt better yesterday when I went out for a walk, sticking to the shade. The breeze helped but as soon as I got inside I felt a bit doo-lally again.

I just want it to rain.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • Primrose
    • By Primrose 19th Jun 17, 12:57 PM
    • 7,609 Posts
    • 25,625 Thanks
    Primrose
    Yes, it feels as if the brain is starting to cook, doesn't it?
    I picked some strawberries yesterday from the garden and they were so hot they felt as if they were half cooked. I won't have to stew the gooseberries when I pick them any day now. The heat has probably already done the job for me !
    • t14cy t
    • By t14cy t 19th Jun 17, 1:22 PM
    • 634 Posts
    • 6,466 Thanks
    t14cy t
    last night I was too hot to sleep so got up put a quick wash on and promptly slept in my nightie wet from the washing machine!!! best sleep for the last week!! x
    • Upsidedown Bear
    • By Upsidedown Bear 19th Jun 17, 6:05 PM
    • 17,802 Posts
    • 77,730 Thanks
    Upsidedown Bear
    Not very Old Style I know but the best thing we ever did to keep us cool at home was to get these.

Whoosh ceiling fan/light

One in the lounge, one in the bedroom

If they ever reduce them enough I'm buying one for every room And the garden
    The Devil whispered in my ear "You are not strong enough to withstand the storm".
    Today I whispered in the Devil's ear "I am the storm".
    Das ist der beste tag meines lebens
    Cheap Coffee Lover

• elona
    • By elona 19th Jun 17, 7:56 PM
    • 11,144 Posts
    • 58,783 Thanks
    elona
    I met a dd this afternoon and tried on some cotton dresses which were so comfortable I bought one and wore it home.

Just been online shopping and found two long cotton nighties after
    finding the nightie I wore last night stuck to me and I could hardly struggle out of it this morning.

May try to live under a cool shower if possible.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 19th Jun 17, 8:04 PM
    • 11,198 Posts
    • 215,632 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    I've been charging around this evening (just back home from the lottie) and I can testify that the strawbs are half-cooked on the plants.

Will have a cool shower half an hour or so before bedtime to bring my temperature down. Our office hit 30 c by 9 am this morning and I had a few moments at my desk about midday when I felt woozy, it's like my brain is overheating.

I did manage to sleep last night, star-fished out on a cotton sheet, bliss.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• Frith
    • By Frith 19th Jun 17, 9:07 PM
    • 4,190 Posts
    • 39,122 Thanks
    Frith
    The one bonus with living in a tiny, very damp Victorian cottage is that the downstairs is always like a fridge! Quarry tiled floors too.

Unfortunately, the walls upstairs go vertically for about 1m 40 then slant upwards and the sun goes straight through the slanted part so it's roasting. :-/

Windows are shut downstairs to stop the heat getting in (!). Open upstairs with a fan in each bedroom.
    Odd fact: the inventor of nominative determinism was called Trevor Nominative - Determinism. :-)
    • kittie
    • By kittie 19th Jun 17, 9:34 PM
    • 11,054 Posts
    • 61,029 Thanks
    kittie
    crikey, its 9.30 and still 27 outside, bedroom is 23. That means a very sleepless night

I am getting out and about by 5.30 in the morning. Allotment, vacuuming all that sort of stuff. Washed my stone floors. Ventilated all windows early on and then closed them and drew the insulating curtains on the south side. I have an evaporating cooler, had it many years and it does work but only needed it on for an hour this afternoon. This dreadful heat is going to build up rapidly now and the next few days will be hellish for many people

I have a good fan on a pedestal stand and used it on a timer while in bed, will do the same each night

Feeling sorry for the sheep behind me, even though they are sheared, I mean shorn I think
    • boliston
    • By boliston 19th Jun 17, 9:42 PM
    • 2,382 Posts
    • 1,960 Thanks
    boliston
    i keep my duvet off my bed whilst actually getting to sleep in this heat but the only catch is waking up too cold later on as the body cools down once it is asleep apparently.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,422Posts Today

6,285Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin