Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dandy-candy
    • By dandy-candy 17th Jun 17, 11:36 PM
    • 1,707Posts
    • 8,908Thanks
    dandy-candy
    Keeping cool!
    • 17th Jun 17, 11:36 PM
    Keeping cool! 17th Jun 17 at 11:36 PM
    I thought we could share ideas on keeping cool in this heatwave. Here's some I've done.

1) Have windows open but curtains closed in the rooms with direct sun

2) Run a wet mop over the tiled floors in the house, makes the rooms lovely and cool while it evaporates!

3) I've old fashioned stoneware hot water bottles I've picked up at car boot sales for a couple of quid. I fill them with crushed ice and cold water and put them in with the rabbit and guinea pigs, they lie up against them and sleep. Could be useful for other furry pets.

4) Filled empty bottles with water and keeping them in the fridge to make super cold squash for me and the kids.

5) Remind everyone to refill the ice cube tray

What other suggestions can you add?
Page 1
    • silver-oldie
    • By silver-oldie 18th Jun 17, 5:46 AM
    • 225 Posts
    • 2,534 Thanks
    silver-oldie
    • 18th Jun 17, 5:46 AM
    • 18th Jun 17, 5:46 AM
    Don't forget your pets.
    Don't leave dogs in cars.
    I read about 2 dogs rescued from cars yesterday, why are people so stupid?!!
    If you walk at night no-one will see you cry.
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 18th Jun 17, 8:11 AM
    • 15,508 Posts
    • 126,391 Thanks
    JackieO
    • 18th Jun 17, 8:11 AM
    • 18th Jun 17, 8:11 AM
    My DDs dogs get walked first thing in the morning then after the sun goes down in the evening The back door is left open, if they want to go into the garden they can, but the little terrier (who had a hair cut last week ) likes to lie under the stairs or on their leather sofa to keep cool.

I too open the windows and shut the curtains during the day. DD has some wrist stretchy things that we run under the tap and put on our wrists to keep cool (bit like smaller alice bands )Being sensible and keeping your skin moisturized helps I always have a pack of wet wipes that I take with me that have been in the freezer when we go (as we will today ) to the beach. Lots of bottles of cold tap water rather than fizzy stuff is pretty good for you as well.
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
    • Gers
    • By Gers 18th Jun 17, 8:13 AM
    • 5,911 Posts
    • 34,979 Thanks
    Gers
    • 18th Jun 17, 8:13 AM
    • 18th Jun 17, 8:13 AM
    Move to where I live!
    • jk0
    • By jk0 18th Jun 17, 8:17 AM
    • 2,034 Posts
    • 23,416 Thanks
    jk0
    • 18th Jun 17, 8:17 AM
    • 18th Jun 17, 8:17 AM
    I open the windows from about midnight to 10am to cool the house. They are shut the rest of the day, to avoid the hot air entering.
    • thriftwizard
    • By thriftwizard 18th Jun 17, 8:29 AM
    • 2,468 Posts
    • 30,619 Thanks
    thriftwizard
    • 18th Jun 17, 8:29 AM
    • 18th Jun 17, 8:29 AM
    For us, it's easy to keep cool by creating a through-draft - to be fair we spend quite a lot of time trying to stop drafts! - we just open the loo window and the kitchen door, which are on opposite sides of the house, and simple natural air-flow does the rest. It helps that there are deciduous trees to the south and west, so we're shaded too. Most people might think our little garden's a tad overgrown, but at times like this it pays off; OH & DD1 are very fair-skinned, burn easily, and shade is important for them. Even the cats are lying in the shade at the moment!
    Angie

GC Oct17 £448.79/£430 - oh bother!

Money's just a substitute for time & talent...
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 18th Jun 17, 8:38 AM
    • 60,705 Posts
    • 354,873 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    • 18th Jun 17, 8:38 AM
    • 18th Jun 17, 8:38 AM
    For immediate relief, run your wrists under cold running water & wet a flannel with cold water and lay it on your face, then run it under the water again and stick it on your head.

Or just go and have a cold bath/shower.
    • ariba10
    • By ariba10 18th Jun 17, 8:44 AM
    • 5,174 Posts
    • 5,628 Thanks
    ariba10
    • 18th Jun 17, 8:44 AM
    • 18th Jun 17, 8:44 AM
    [QUOTE=thriftwizard;72714108]For us, it's easy to keep cool by creating a through-draft - to be fair we spend quite a lot of time trying to stop drafts! - we just open the loo window and the kitchen door, which are on opposite sides of the house, and simple natural air-flow does the rest. It helps that there are deciduous trees to the south and west, so we're shaded too. Most people might think our little garden's a tad overgrown, but at times like this it pays off; OH & DD1 are very fair-skinned, burn easily, and shade is important for them. Even the cats are lying in the shade at the moment![/

We do the same. Open window upstairs on one side of the house and downstairs on the other.

Then make sure no one closes any doors in between.

(There is cooling breeze going through the house a time the moment.
    I used to be indecisive but now I am not sure.
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 18th Jun 17, 11:21 AM
    • 10,155 Posts
    • 57,115 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    • 18th Jun 17, 11:21 AM
    • 18th Jun 17, 11:21 AM
    Opening a loft hatch at night helps the hot air rise into the roof void and helps keep the bedrooms a bit cooler.
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 18th Jun 17, 11:37 AM
    • 3,114 Posts
    • 39,060 Thanks
    monnagran
    Gers, I would gladly swap with you just now.

My bedroom is in a dormer and has no insulation so it is freezing in winter and tropical in summer.
    Last night it was 25 degrees at 2.30am with the air cooler on.
    I have one window facing south and a bigger one facing west, windows that only open a crack and none of the famous sea breeze at all.

I don't do heat. On holiday I am ridiculed as while everyone is moving the chairs to follow the sun round, I am moving mine in the opposite direction to follow the shade.

Come January I am going to be SO ashamed of this post!

x
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • Prinzessilein
    • By Prinzessilein 18th Jun 17, 2:17 PM
    • 2,057 Posts
    • 9,508 Thanks
    Prinzessilein
    I really do not like the heat......if disability allowed I would be doing my rain-dance right about now!

In addition, I live in a ground-floor flat....we are advised to keep the windows shut overnight - which is stifling! (Unfortunately we DO get intruders....last one only a few weeks ago - so precautions are necessary)....and the windows of my flat all face the same direction, so no through-draft possible, when the sun comes around there is no escape!

My personal tips for staying cool are:

Cool- but not COLD showers!

I have lost quite a bit of weight (which has helped a bit with staying cool!)...and have kept a few tee-shirt nighties in large sizes....over-sized cotton nighties are good for staying cool overnight.

Keep well-hydrated...and tap-water is as good as anything else for this!

I keep a tub of frozen berries in the freezer....a glass of water with a few frozen berries added is very refreshing.

Keep photos of cooler climes to hand....somehow I find it cooling to look at photos of mountains, rivers and lakes!

If I need to go out, then I try and get it done as early as possible.

Move as slowly as possible.

If your work/life schedule allows, then go continental - enjoy a light siesta...sleep through an hour of the worst heat!

Above all....remember that this is the UK...the summer is not going to last for much longer....the glorious, blissful season of Autumn will be here before we know it!
    • MMF007
    • By MMF007 18th Jun 17, 4:06 PM
    • 997 Posts
    • 22,684 Thanks
    MMF007
    I bought a pineapple, rtc, chunked it up and froze on a tray to keep the pieces seperate. I add a couple of the frozen chunks to cold drinks. Very refreshing. I know others do this with lemon or orange slices.

Close curtains first thing in the morning, open north facing windows and one other if possible, to encourage draft / cooler air. Yes, cool compresses are good.

DH has a manual job and came in yester and just stripped off by the washing machine, before he got any further. Good job the neighbours were out!

I love it when it is still hot at night, I sleep like a log.

I also love my cheapo linen skirt, slightly odd very pale mint colour, on the sale rail for £11 a couple of years ago. It is cool to wear and weirdly goes with most tops I have.
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance.
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 18th Jun 17, 4:08 PM
    • 1,243 Posts
    • 6,593 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    It was so hot last night. I slept in just my knickers!

I have had two cool showers today already and I dampen my hair and that cools me down.

I have my electric fan out although, it is too damn loud at night.

I have a jug of cold water kept in the fridge at all times.
    "It doesn't cost any more to dream big."
    • caronc
    • By caronc 18th Jun 17, 5:00 PM
    • 2,626 Posts
    • 17,154 Thanks
    caronc
    Not really an issue here but a bucket/basin of cold water to "steep" your feet is fab for generally cooling you down, likewise as PN said running your wrists under a cold tap is good to.
    Loose clothes and natural fibres are my "go to" warm weather wear.
    July £185/£170, August £108/£120, Sep GC £121/£120, Oct GC £141/£200, Nov £96/£120
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 18th Jun 17, 5:23 PM
    • 11,364 Posts
    • 218,662 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    Like Prinzezzilien, I am in a groundfloor flat and can't have my windows wide open. I can have them tilted a few inches, and do, but have to shut the bedroom window when I go to bed because the late evening into the small hours is pretty noisy here, with clubbers etc rattling around the city centre.

I'd switched to evening gardening a week or so ago, as in post 7.30 pm, but it was still sweltering yestereve and I came out of a supermarket just before 10 pm and it was like walking into an oven.

Sooo, today (just shy of 30 celcius) I headed out at 07.30 am. Some runners were already out training. I gardened from 8-10.20 then gently walked home.

Have the curtains drawn here and laundry drying. You can cool your through-draft by hanging a wet cloth up.

Other than that, I had a tepid bath to get rid of gardening grubbiness and have been drinking plenty of plain water and black tea.

Trick is to move gently, keep properly hydrated and enjoy it while it lasts.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• karcher
    • By karcher 18th Jun 17, 8:03 PM
    • 1,398 Posts
    • 11,735 Thanks
    karcher
    Keep the curtains shut.

Soak you feet in a bowl cool water, it really does cool you down.

Showering your head with cold water.

Loose cotton clothes, no underwear whilst indoors..and outdoors too if you're 'cool' with that!

Always wear a wide brimmed hat when out and about.
    • Cupcake Returns
    • By Cupcake Returns 18th Jun 17, 8:43 PM
    • 81 Posts
    • 259 Thanks
    Cupcake Returns
    As someone who is having flushes, the heat is my enemy

Windows open, having an upside down house with the sitting room upstairs with my bedroom and a cat, this means for me only opening them on the lock , that's just about an inch

Keeping curtains closed on the rooms facing the sun

Cotton. Cotton bedding as well as clothing. I wear sfa in bed other then a smile . But have a cotton top sheet and a light weight cotton blanket to pull on and off.

If I'm not going out I wear a cotton shortie nightie around the house. Keeps me cool, no one is going to see me, easily washed and dried. If the door bell goes, I chuck a dressing gown on and wrap a towel around my head to pretend I'm just out the shower

Food, as light as possible. Tonight was a roast chicken I cooked early this morning whilst the house wasn't too warm. Served with corn on the cob ( just one saucepan boiling away tonight) jacket spuds ( microwaved) and salad

I'm more then happy to light the BBQ and live on burgers,sausages etc with salads End of the day this kind of weather doesn't last long so it's not going to kill me

Housework, sod it. There's more then enough wet cold days to do that

Basically I just do as little as possible and take as much time as possible to enjoy the good weather
    • karcher
    • By karcher 18th Jun 17, 8:51 PM
    • 1,398 Posts
    • 11,735 Thanks
    karcher
    One other thing on the money saving side of things:

I turn down the thermostat on my hot water boiler/heater during hot weather. The last thing I want/need is a hot shower so no point heating the water to a high temperature just to drown it out by turning up the cold tap.
    • esuhl
    • By esuhl 18th Jun 17, 9:22 PM
    • 7,728 Posts
    • 5,512 Thanks
    esuhl
    I'm quite comfortable in this heat! It's the cold I can't tolerate!

3) I've old fashioned stoneware hot water bottles I've picked up at car boot sales for a couple of quid. I fill them with crushed ice and cold water and put them in with the rabbit and guinea pigs, they lie up against them and sleep. Could be useful for other furry pets.
    Originally posted by dandy-candy
    I don't have pets, but that's a really good idea!

Otherwise, put bananas in the fridge, or even freezer. They turn into an ice-cream smoothie you can peel! So refreshing!

Have a really hot curry, and then an ice cold shower. Or just a curry. I don't know how it works, but the perceived heat of the curry somehow makes you feel cool.
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 18th Jun 17, 9:24 PM
    • 13,090 Posts
    • 17,308 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    We make sure that the windows and doors are kept firmly shut until the temperature outside is less than the temperature inside. We've had 32 outside today but inside it's stayed at 22.
    Advice; it rhymes with mice. Advise; it rhymes with wise.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

130Posts Today

1,727Users online

Martin's Twitter