Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • thenap80
    • By thenap80 17th Jun 17, 11:36 PM
    • 286Posts
    • 11Thanks
    thenap80
    House paid off and tenanted - whats the deal with Land Registry
    • 17th Jun 17, 11:36 PM
    House paid off and tenanted - whats the deal with Land Registry 17th Jun 17 at 11:36 PM
    Hi
    I have a house which I paid off a year ago and now have tenants there. I saw on The One Show programme that there have been incidets of fraud where tenants can pretend to be the owner (ie. me!) and get the house registered in their name.

The programme suggested registering it with LR but looking at their website, this seems very complicated and long winded and suggests a solicitor. The One Show suggested it was easy peasy. Am I Missing something - is it supposed to be difficulyt with lots of paperwork involved?
Page 1
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 18th Jun 17, 1:07 AM
    • 22,373 Posts
    • 87,006 Thanks
    Davesnave
    • 18th Jun 17, 1:07 AM
    • 18th Jun 17, 1:07 AM
    Here you go:

https://propertyalert.landregistry.gov.uk/

The house is likely already registered, but this service stops anyone registering it in their name without your knowledge.
    Working subliminally.
    • glennevis
    • By glennevis 18th Jun 17, 1:12 AM
    • 81 Posts
    • 57 Thanks
    glennevis
    • 18th Jun 17, 1:12 AM
    • 18th Jun 17, 1:12 AM
    Think you've got the wrong end of the stick. Have a look at:
    https://propertyalert.landregistry.gov.uk/

Property Alert is an award winning free property monitoring service aimed at anyone who feels a registered property could be at risk from fraud.

Once you have signed up to the service, you will receive email alerts when certain activity occurs on your monitored properties, allowing you to take action if necessary.
    • da_rule
    • By da_rule 18th Jun 17, 8:21 AM
    • 2,354 Posts
    • 2,119 Thanks
    da_rule
    • 18th Jun 17, 8:21 AM
    • 18th Jun 17, 8:21 AM
    The Property Alert system only works for registered property though, so if the property is currently unregistered the OP would have to register it first.
    • theartfullodger
    • By theartfullodger 18th Jun 17, 8:40 AM
    • 8,737 Posts
    • 11,544 Thanks
    theartfullodger
    • 18th Jun 17, 8:40 AM
    • 18th Jun 17, 8:40 AM
    There can be three addresses registered with LR, all informed if someone tries something.

NEVER have registration of a rented property at that property address - always your home - and include an email & another address as the other 2
    • karcher
    • By karcher 18th Jun 17, 8:44 AM
    • 1,021 Posts
    • 7,997 Thanks
    karcher
    • 18th Jun 17, 8:44 AM
    • 18th Jun 17, 8:44 AM
    There can be three addresses registered with LR, all informed if someone tries something.

NEVER have registration of a rented property at that property address - always your home - and include an email & another address as the other 2
    Originally posted by theartfullodger
    I'm not with it this morning and don't understand what you mean.
    Can you explain that again please artful.
    • Rosemary7391
    • By Rosemary7391 18th Jun 17, 9:31 AM
    • 1,624 Posts
    • 2,817 Thanks
    Rosemary7391
    • 18th Jun 17, 9:31 AM
    • 18th Jun 17, 9:31 AM
    I'm not with it this morning and don't understand what you mean.
    Can you explain that again please artful.
    Originally posted by karcher
    I think I get it...

If you rent a place out, you don't want mail from the land registry to go there, you want it to come to you. So give them your address, and an email. Not sure what the second address should be?
    Me escondo detras de mi lengua... tengo miedo de que me entiendas... pero me gustara que me entendases ¡Ayudame!
    • da_rule
    • By da_rule 18th Jun 17, 9:42 AM
    • 2,354 Posts
    • 2,119 Thanks
    da_rule
    • 18th Jun 17, 9:42 AM
    • 18th Jun 17, 9:42 AM
    The address for service held by the Land Registry does not have to be the property address.

It is amazing how many rental properties I see where the proprietorship register has the owner being listed as living at the address. This means that any notices served in relation to the property are served to the owner at the property, which isn't ideal when dealing with a tenant attempting to commit fraud. This tends to happen because the landlord used to live at the property and didn't update the Land Registry or the solicitor that drafted the transfer document got sloppy and it wasn't picked up on.

As has been said you can enter multiple addresses for the Land Registry to serve notices on, so maybe a trusted friend or a solicitor etc.
    • da_rule
    • By da_rule 18th Jun 17, 10:38 AM
    • 2,354 Posts
    • 2,119 Thanks
    da_rule
    • 18th Jun 17, 10:38 AM
    • 18th Jun 17, 10:38 AM
    Obviously a lot of this stuff only matters/helps if the property is actually registered with the Land Registry, which the OP hasn't definitely confirmed.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 18th Jun 17, 12:14 PM
    • 39,647 Posts
    • 45,150 Thanks
    G_M
    OP aid
    I have a house which I paid off a year ago
    I know taking out a mortgage (and placing a Charge on a property) triggers compulsory 1st registration.

I assume (but not sure) that paying off a mortage likewise triggers 1st registration.

In which case the property should be registered.

Not sure what the second address should be?
    * your 2nd home?
    * the co-owner's address if 2 (or more) joint owners don't cohabit?
    * your POA?
    * your kids if you rely on their help with stuff cos you're elderly?

you get the idea..........
    • Rosemary7391
    • By Rosemary7391 18th Jun 17, 2:45 PM
    • 1,624 Posts
    • 2,817 Thanks
    Rosemary7391

* your 2nd home?
    * the co-owner's address if 2 (or more) joint owners don't cohabit?
    * your POA?
    * your kids if you rely on their help with stuff cos you're elderly?

you get the idea..........
    Originally posted by G_M
    Thanks - none of that applies to me but then I don't have one home with a paid up mortgage, nevermind one to rent out too! I assume you don't have to supply a second address, but getting the property address off the list is the important bit.
    Me escondo detras de mi lengua... tengo miedo de que me entiendas... pero me gustara que me entendases ¡Ayudame!
    • da_rule
    • By da_rule 18th Jun 17, 3:13 PM
    • 2,354 Posts
    • 2,119 Thanks
    da_rule
    I assume (but not sure) that paying off a mortage likewise triggers 1st registration.
    Originally posted by G_M
    No, it is only the act of charging the property (with a relevant charge) that creates a requirement for first registration. Discharging a charge over an unregistered title does not.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 18th Jun 17, 3:31 PM
    • 39,647 Posts
    • 45,150 Thanks
    G_M
    No, it is only the act of charging the property (with a relevant charge) that creates a requirement for first registration. Discharging a charge over an unregistered title does not.
    Originally posted by da_rule
    Thanks. Wasn't sure.

In that case thenap needs to come back and tell us if the propety is registered or not.
    • thenap80
    • By thenap80 18th Jun 17, 7:02 PM
    • 286 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    thenap80
    I have signed up on the PROPERTY ALERT website. I must have been getting wrong end of stick. All I would say is that it offers no where for me to submit my mobile phone number for alert, only email address.

Thanks for your help. I guess it must have been registered in my name already s it allowed me to simply register for alerts.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

149Posts Today

1,368Users online

Martin's Twitter