Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mickyduff
    • By Mickyduff 17th Jun 17, 11:02 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Mickyduff
    New build incentive - Assured sale?
    • 17th Jun 17, 11:02 PM
    New build incentive - Assured sale? 17th Jun 17 at 11:02 PM
    As titled above, I'm interested in buying a new build property in Scotland and one of the incentives on offer is an assured sale on my current home.

I have nothing in writing yet other than that sentence, no small print or explanation of the grey area in between.

Does anyone here have any experience they can share on this?

My concern is the grey area, new property won't be ready until Xmas, mine is already on the market but sales are slow here.

Mine has been valued at a price we need to get to be able to buy the new plot. We'd be turning down any low offers if we got any, am I naive in thinking the builder would honour the full market value in an assured sale?
Page 1
    • sultanabran
    • By sultanabran 18th Jun 17, 4:49 PM
    • 154 Posts
    • 103 Thanks
    sultanabran
    • 18th Jun 17, 4:49 PM
    • 18th Jun 17, 4:49 PM
    As titled above, I'm interested in buying a new build property in Scotland and one of the incentives on offer is an assured sale on my current home.

I have nothing in writing yet other than that sentence, no small print or explanation of the grey area in between.

Does anyone here have any experience they can share on this?

My concern is the grey area, new property won't be ready until Xmas, mine is already on the market but sales are slow here.

Mine has been valued at a price we need to get to be able to buy the new plot. We'd be turning down any low offers if we got any, am I naive in thinking the builder would honour the full market value in an assured sale?
    Originally posted by Mickyduff
    I would be surprised if the builder paid full market value. The deal I opted for was the builder pays for my estate agency fees and gives me the opportunity to sell the house on the open market by a set date. If it's not sold by that date, they will buy it in part exchange.

The way they arrived at a part exchange value was to base it on an 8-10 week sale price based upon the value of a surveyor and an estate agent.

Thankfully my house sold on the open market, otherwise I'd be a few £k worse of if I had to go down the part-ex route.
    Last edited by sultanabran; 18-06-2017 at 11:31 PM.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 18th Jun 17, 5:36 PM
    • 41,448 Posts
    • 47,809 Thanks
    G_M
    • 18th Jun 17, 5:36 PM
    • 18th Jun 17, 5:36 PM
    Of course not.

I'll give you an Assured sale right now. PM me. I guarantee to get your property sold.

Price any property low enough and it will sell fast.
    • Mickyduff
    • By Mickyduff 18th Jun 17, 5:40 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Mickyduff
    • 18th Jun 17, 5:40 PM
    • 18th Jun 17, 5:40 PM
    Thanks sultanabran. The deal for us would be we are given the time to sell our property but the builder will buy it at market value on the date of exchange IF it hasn't sold.

To me though there's so many variables in there, I feel uneasy signing anything. We can't afford a drop in our house value as the cost of change we are looking at is maxed out.
    • Mickyduff
    • By Mickyduff 18th Jun 17, 5:43 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Mickyduff
    • 18th Jun 17, 5:43 PM
    • 18th Jun 17, 5:43 PM
    G_M if were expected to pay the builder 2015 prices for their new build then I'd expect them to honour their promise of a 2017 full market rate valuation price on ours.

If they won't play fair then the deal is a no go.
    • sultanabran
    • By sultanabran 18th Jun 17, 11:32 PM
    • 154 Posts
    • 103 Thanks
    sultanabran
    • 18th Jun 17, 11:32 PM
    • 18th Jun 17, 11:32 PM
    Thanks sultanabran. The deal for us would be we are given the time to sell our property but the builder will buy it at market value on the date of exchange IF it hasn't sold.

To me though there's so many variables in there, I feel uneasy signing anything. We can't afford a drop in our house value as the cost of change we are looking at is maxed out.
    Originally posted by Mickyduff
    I guess you would need to get them to confirm in writing when you reserve that they would pay market value and how its decided what market value is.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,001Posts Today

6,220Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I was surprised to see the three people in front of me in the newsagents were all shocked their old £1 coins were no longer taken.

• RT @natdebtline: If you?ve been visited by a bailiff since April 2014 we want to hear your story for our #bailiffreform campaign https://t.?

• Well so far it seems there's one thing remainers and leavers agree on - the EU is getting the better of the negotia? https://t.co/70z5ffpG8S

• Follow Martin