Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Marvqn1
    • By Marvqn1 17th Jun 17, 10:57 PM
    • 353Posts
    • 229Thanks
    Marvqn1
    Electric rotary shaver
    • 17th Jun 17, 10:57 PM
    Electric rotary shaver 17th Jun 17 at 10:57 PM
    Im looking for a new electric rotary shaver.

I've used a Philips electric shaver for years, so id prefer a Philips shaver because I like the design/performance.

However, after doing some research on the current models, the ones that cost about £50 to £60 don't include a stand, which is disappointing as my current shaver has one. The shavers at the higher price point of around £75 to £85 such as the Series 5000 shavers have a lot of negative feedback, people saying the head is flimsy, the motor is weak, the shaver only contain a single cutting blade which results in a slow shave, etc..

Id consider one nearer £150. However, I don't know if the difference in performance compared to the ones under £100 makes it worth it.

Any advice, thanks.
Page 1
    • omnipeta
    • By omnipeta 18th Jun 17, 8:13 AM
    • 167 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    omnipeta
    • 18th Jun 17, 8:13 AM
    Remington?
    • 18th Jun 17, 8:13 AM
    I realise it's all down to personal preference, beard etc... however I wouldn't touch any rotary shavers, I've had several over the years from £30-£100 and cannot honestly recommend any.
    I use 'foil' shavers and if you want to give one a try then Amazon have this one, Remington PF7400 men's shaver for around £30.
    As I say depends on personal choice etc... good luck.
    • kwikbreaks
    • By kwikbreaks 18th Jun 17, 10:01 AM
    • 8,841 Posts
    • 4,419 Thanks
    kwikbreaks
    • 18th Jun 17, 10:01 AM
    • 18th Jun 17, 10:01 AM
    Sorry but this is unlikely to help the OP.

The problem with any expensive razor is that it is only as good as the non-replaceable batteries inside it. Replacement foils and shaving heads cost more than a cheap shaver.

I've gone over to cheap shavers and put up with a less than perfect shave. Not that expensive ones are perfect either ime. I'd rather set fire to £150 than spend it on an electric razor.
    • EssexExile
    • By EssexExile 18th Jun 17, 10:49 AM
    • 2,423 Posts
    • 1,607 Thanks
    EssexExile
    • 18th Jun 17, 10:49 AM
    • 18th Jun 17, 10:49 AM
    I've had a beard since 1969, I'd recommend it.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
    • Marvqn1
    • By Marvqn1 18th Jun 17, 12:43 PM
    • 353 Posts
    • 229 Thanks
    Marvqn1
    • 18th Jun 17, 12:43 PM
    • 18th Jun 17, 12:43 PM
    I realise it's all down to personal preference, beard etc... however I wouldn't touch any rotary shavers, I've had several over the years from £30-£100 and cannot honestly recommend any.
    I use 'foil' shavers and if you want to give one a try then Amazon have this one, Remington PF7400 men's shaver for around £30.
    As I say depends on personal choice etc... good luck.
    Originally posted by omnipeta
    I've never used a foil shaver. For me, a rotary shaver has been good, so it's probably best to stick with the tried and tested type of shaver.

The problem with any expensive razor is that it is only as good as the non-replaceable batteries inside it. Replacement foils and shaving heads cost more than a cheap shaver.

I've gone over to cheap shavers and put up with a less than perfect shave. Not that expensive ones are perfect either ime. I'd rather set fire to £150 than spend it on an electric razor.
    Originally posted by kwikbreaks
    The Philips shaver I've had for over 10 years, the battery still charges okay now even though it has a non-replaceable battery. I think it has a Ni-cad battery, which is the older type compared to lithuim-ion.

Also, even the shaving head is the same one as when the shaver was new. I didn't notice any decrease in performance until the shaver was about 10 years old, now it no longer provides a smooth shave.

I don't shave everyday, I shave about twice per week. Philips recommends to replace the shaving head every 2 years. That is probably based on using the shaver on a daily basis. So using the shaver only a couple of times a week would estimate about 7 years usage.
    Last edited by Marvqn1; 18-06-2017 at 2:59 PM.
    • dj1471
    • By dj1471 18th Jun 17, 1:05 PM
    • 905 Posts
    • 600 Thanks
    dj1471
    • 18th Jun 17, 1:05 PM
    I also have a Phillips rotary shaver of a similar age, when I've previously looked at replacing it I came to the same conclusion as you - there's nothing comparable on the market, especially when you look at battery life.

Almost all the parts are replaceable and still available, if the battery is OK why not just buy a new head assembly? I suspect the battery is replaceable too but you'd need to take the shaver apart.
    • kwikbreaks
    • By kwikbreaks 18th Jun 17, 1:05 PM
    • 8,841 Posts
    • 4,419 Thanks
    kwikbreaks
    I think a foil shaver would struggle if you only shave twice a week. Given that shaving frequency then spending £150 seems a bizarre choice to me. Tesco do a very cheap £12 iirc rotary shaver and I got one to try expecting to have to bin it but it actually works fairly well. Certainly not as smooth feeling while shaving as the mid price Philishave it replaced but a twice a week shave isn't going to feel very smooth anyway.
    • Head The Ball
    • By Head The Ball 18th Jun 17, 1:22 PM
    • 2,880 Posts
    • 6,571 Thanks
    Head The Ball
    • 18th Jun 17, 1:22 PM
    • 18th Jun 17, 1:22 PM

Originally posted by kwikbreaks
    It is usually easy for a competent DIYer to replace a non replaceable battery in an electric razor.

They are usually a pair of AAs or a single 18650 battery, easily and widely available, but may be something else.

You may have to do some soldering.
    Who'll remember the ones
    who only rode in them to die
    All their lives are just a smudge
    of smoke against the sky
    • Marvqn1
    • By Marvqn1 18th Jun 17, 1:58 PM
    • 353 Posts
    • 229 Thanks
    Marvqn1
    • 18th Jun 17, 1:58 PM
    • 18th Jun 17, 1:58 PM
    I also have a Phillips rotary shaver of a similar age, when I've previously looked at replacing it I came to the same conclusion as you - there's nothing comparable on the market, especially when you look at battery life.

Almost all the parts are replaceable and still available, if the battery is OK why not just buy a new head assembly? I suspect the battery is replaceable too but you'd need to take the shaver apart.
    Originally posted by dj1471
    I searched online for a replacement head assembly for my current shaver, but I couldn't find one as they no longer stock them.

Also, I think the head assembly costs about £30+ which is only about £20 less than a new shaver.

Your comment about battery life, is that based on how many shaves you get from a full charge, or how long the battery lasts before it can no longer hold a charge?
    Last edited by Marvqn1; 18-06-2017 at 2:19 PM.
    • Jackmydad
    • By Jackmydad 18th Jun 17, 4:15 PM
    • 1,079 Posts
    • 2,142 Thanks
    Jackmydad
    If you can solder, then you can replace the battery in the Phillips shaver. (Or at least with some, I don't know about all)
    The right batteries with the right tags welded on are available online.
    (You can't solder the tags onto the batteries incidentally for anyone who might try)
    Took me about half an hour to change the one in mine about a month back.
    • angryparcel
    • By angryparcel 18th Jun 17, 6:00 PM
    • 910 Posts
    • 520 Thanks
    angryparcel
    i have a Philips rotary shaver (two blade one) its the long discontinued electric one, but gives the best shave i have had from any shaver. I have not long ago replaced the blades (which cost more than a bottom range shaver)
    • kwikbreaks
    • By kwikbreaks 18th Jun 17, 6:55 PM
    • 8,841 Posts
    • 4,419 Thanks
    kwikbreaks
    I don't doubt I could replace internal batteries so long as the thing came apart cleanly but I suspect many simply bin them when the charge retention gets to be annoying. Come to that many could just be used on the charging lead although I know some won't work that way.

I looked at the price of a replacement head and decided to buy a new cheap shaver at around a third of the price they wanted. It works well enough and I won't feel any compunction to look for replacement heads or take it apart in the hope the batteries can be replaced at less the the price of a new one.

I still consider £150 for a shaver to be taking the mickey.

===
    Just looked up te one I bought in store ..

https://www.tesco.com/direct/tesco-rotary-shaver/471-5589.prd?skuId=471-5589

They actually do an even cheaper one but I see that has a single poor review.
    Last edited by kwikbreaks; 18-06-2017 at 6:59 PM.
    • Jackmydad
    • By Jackmydad 18th Jun 17, 7:06 PM
    • 1,079 Posts
    • 2,142 Thanks
    Jackmydad
    Funnily enough I bought a cheap Tesco shaver when my charger for the other one packed up some time ago. Mine's the 2 head one.
    Bit noisy, and not as "nice" feeling as the Phillips, but does the job, and has been in use for some time now.
    I'm a beard wearer though, and only shave in places.
    And I'd agree. I'm not paying a hundred and fifty quid for a shaver!
    • Geoff1963
    • By Geoff1963 18th Jun 17, 8:13 PM
    • 1,056 Posts
    • 677 Thanks
    Geoff1963
    Argos Phillips travel shaver, about £15, takes 2 AA ( can be rechargeable ) batteries.
    After a few weeks, buy another, and use it for "best".
    When either are no good, buy another, and bin the oldest one.
    • angryparcel
    • By angryparcel 18th Jun 17, 9:30 PM
    • 910 Posts
    • 520 Thanks
    angryparcel
    well just think pay £30 or pay £150 at the end of the day they all do the same job
    • John Gray
    • By John Gray 19th Jun 17, 5:26 AM
    • 5,058 Posts
    • 2,695 Thanks
    John Gray
    There's a lot to be said for investigating whether the IPL hair removal system works properly and safely on men's faces. Shaving must be the biggest waste of time that men have to endure on a daily basis!
    • EssexExile
    • By EssexExile 19th Jun 17, 9:37 AM
    • 2,423 Posts
    • 1,607 Thanks
    EssexExile
    Shaving must be the biggest waste of time that men have to endure on a daily basis!
    Originally posted by John Gray
    Couldn't agree more - see post #4. I've had one rechargeable beard trimmer that I use about once a fortnight, I replaced the batteries about 20 years ago, they don't hold the charge any more but it still works plugged in. That should see me out.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
    • khris210
    • By khris210 29th Jun 17, 9:42 PM
    • 38 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    khris210
    Philips rotary
    Capn Birdseye lookalike! I've had a two head Philips rotary (mains only) for must be 20 or more years now. I sharpened the blades about 5 years ago using Brasso and a sheet of glass. It has a flip out trimmer which sadly no longer works, so I bought a Remington foil which has a very good swivelling trimmer set. Unfortunately it gives a terrible shave, so I shave daily with the Philips and trim weekly with the Remington. When I need a good shave as opposed to a daily light mow, I use pre-electric solution(?) with the Philips. I have a tough wiry beard and use them for "man scaping". Short answer- sharpen the blades, see sentence 2 above!
    • ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    • By ididntgetwhereiamtoday 30th Jun 17, 12:14 PM
    • 1,012 Posts
    • 800 Thanks
    ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    I've had a beard since 1969, I'd recommend it.
    Originally posted by EssexExile
    I hope your husband doesn't mind
    I didn't get where i am today by not reading moneysavingexpert.com
    • Kamran
    • By Kamran 1st Jul 17, 2:29 PM
    • 391 Posts
    • 46 Thanks
    Kamran
    6 months ago I switched from wet shaving to the Phillips OneBlade - absolutely love it.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

118Posts Today

2,063Users online

Martin's Twitter