Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • spaceboy
    • By spaceboy 17th Jun 17, 10:36 PM
    • 1,671Posts
    • 274Thanks
    spaceboy
    how do i find the best mortgage deal myself?
    • 17th Jun 17, 10:36 PM
    how do i find the best mortgage deal myself? 17th Jun 17 at 10:36 PM
    I'm currently paying the standard rate with Natwest. How do I find the best deal out there?
Page 1
    • sevenhills
    • By sevenhills 17th Jun 17, 10:44 PM
    • 352 Posts
    • 152 Thanks
    sevenhills
    • 17th Jun 17, 10:44 PM
    • 17th Jun 17, 10:44 PM
    Just click on the link and put your numbers in

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/mortgages/best-buys/?page=results&pageNumber=1&mortgagetype=FIRST_TIME _BUYER&amountborrow=40%2C000&propertyworth=105%2C0 00&repayyears=20&producttype%5B%5D=FIXED&banks_fil ter=&providerFilter%5Bbank%5D%5B%5D=-1&building_societies_filter=&providerFilter%5Bbuil ding_societies%5D%5B%5D=-1&productlength%5B%5D=5&productlength%5B%5D=10&pro ductlength%5B%5D=-1
    • xyz123
    • By xyz123 18th Jun 17, 9:43 AM
    • 1,484 Posts
    • 366 Thanks
    xyz123
    • 18th Jun 17, 9:43 AM
    • 18th Jun 17, 9:43 AM
    That's a good suggestion just keep in mind that the list is not updated regularly. So u may have some products which are shown but not available (happens to me few months back when remortgaging) so just double check the rates on relevant vendor's websites efore applications. Good luck
    • Lilla D
    • By Lilla D 18th Jun 17, 9:48 AM
    • 257 Posts
    • 122 Thanks
    Lilla D
    • 18th Jun 17, 9:48 AM
    • 18th Jun 17, 9:48 AM
    Well, you can use the link above or any other best buy tables or comparison tools as much as you like, but whether the "best" deal FOR YOU is listed, you will not know unless you speak to a broker.

I'm saying it, because there are so many details in every case that can render a lender or a particular deal unsuitable for you, that you can only hope that whatever deal you choose yourself from a website will be suitable. Nonetheless, if you go down the DIY route, I hope you succeed.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
    • westv
    • By westv 18th Jun 17, 9:55 AM
    • 4,256 Posts
    • 1,842 Thanks
    westv
    • 18th Jun 17, 9:55 AM
    • 18th Jun 17, 9:55 AM

I'm saying it, because there are so many details in every case that can render a lender or a particular deal unsuitable for you, that you can only hope that whatever deal you choose yourself from a website will be suitable. Nonetheless, if you go down the DIY route, I hope you succeed.
    Originally posted by Lilla D
    MMR was certainly a boost for the profits of mortgage brokers.
    • amnblog
    • By amnblog 18th Jun 17, 9:58 AM
    • 9,641 Posts
    • 3,718 Thanks
    amnblog
    • 18th Jun 17, 9:58 AM
    • 18th Jun 17, 9:58 AM
    Best Buy tables will show you the best deals from the Lenders who pay the table publishers to feature them.

They won't show you all the deals out there. Nor if the Lenders will consider you as a suitable borrower.

It's not like buying beans. You don't 'buy' a mortgage. The lender has to agree to 'sell' it to you.
    I am a Mortgage Broker

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 18th Jun 17, 10:06 AM
    • 29,436 Posts
    • 17,592 Thanks
    getmore4less
    • 18th Jun 17, 10:06 AM
    • 18th Jun 17, 10:06 AM
    I'm currently paying the standard rate with Natwest. How do I find the best deal out there?
    Originally posted by spaceboy
    First decide what you mean by "best deal"

There are a lot of factors that interact with each other which can change the "best deal" depending on what you prioritize.

Then as Lilla points out you can only select from those that you qualify for which is a difficult filter as this sort of knowledge tends to come from experience.
    • Lilla D
    • By Lilla D 18th Jun 17, 10:12 AM
    • 257 Posts
    • 122 Thanks
    Lilla D
    • 18th Jun 17, 10:12 AM
    • 18th Jun 17, 10:12 AM
    MMR was certainly a boost for the profits of mortgage brokers.
    Originally posted by westv
    As well as for banks More mortgage applications via brokers means less time wasting for banks with people who just apply because they like a deal or because they happen to bank with that lender. A broker assesses suitability before recommending a lender and a deal, so there are less decline decisions than for direct applications. There are several lenders, who only deal with brokers or offer better deals via brokers exactly because they want to avoid wasting time and money. Granted, there are lenders who only deal with the general public directly, but they are the minority for a reason.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

205Posts Today

1,323Users online

Martin's Twitter