Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • bugzie92
    • By bugzie92 17th Jun 17, 9:34 PM
    • 159Posts
    • 2,481Thanks
    bugzie92
    Tenancy application asking about all credit cards etc
    • 17th Jun 17, 9:34 PM
    Tenancy application asking about all credit cards etc 17th Jun 17 at 9:34 PM
    Hello

We are in the process of applying for tenancy.
    We have been privately rented for nearly 5 years and have never missed a payment or anything like that. But every time we have applied before they have asked for bank details for a credit check and that's it.
    However on our current application they are asking for all credit card debt, how much our monthly payments are etc etc. Now I'm worried because we have ALOT of debt, but it is manageable and it doesn't hinder on our ability to pay rent. They also ask if we have any "adverse credit hostor". Now I've been a few days paying very payments a couple of times over the years, but no county things or anything against us. Do I need to put this down?
    I'm just worried that having to write out every single detail of our financial affairs is going to make our application go in the bin. The fees are £500 and apparently if we fail we will only get 50% back. We like the house but this is really worrying and of putting. Why can't they run a credit check normally like others to see we have have good credit scores (which we do). They also want all the various references which is fine. Just seems an almighty interrogation which has never happened before. Is this normal? We have lived in the same house for nearly 3 years so perhaps things have changed.... thanks
    May total - £1435
Page 2
    • Mela322
    • By Mela322 19th Jun 17, 8:11 AM
    • 56 Posts
    • 41 Thanks
    Mela322
    As a tenant myself, I would walk away from an application that is that intrusive. We just applied for a new home about 3 months ago, had nothing like that. We also only decided to apply once we knew we had a 99% chance of being approved. Sounds like the landlord is being very specific about the tenants he is seeking.
    • aneary
    • By aneary 19th Jun 17, 9:13 AM
    • 315 Posts
    • 191 Thanks
    aneary
    I would walk away to start with the fees are way over the top. Secondly the questions are not standard. If you do rent this house you may get more issues with the landlord who is clearly worried about renting his property.

I paid around £200 in fees (I would need to double check) and the referencing agency who checked my details only contacted my work, and public records, they didn't ask for previous landlords details although I would have given them that information if asked. Any other information I would have walked away it isn't any of their business.
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 19th Jun 17, 12:40 PM
    • 1,408 Posts
    • 3,522 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    The L is lending you a house.
    The mortgage co is lending you a house.
    What is the difference?
    Originally posted by anselld
    They're very different.

The landlord is renting you a house, they have the right to go to court and kick you out after 6 months for no reason whatsoever, or sooner if you don't pay the rent. Its not a long term commitment.

A mortgage lender never owns your house. They lend you a large sum of money secured on your house and you enter a contract to pay that money back, plus interest, usually over a few decades.

Not comparable at all, except for the fact that houses are involved.
    • Chrysalis
    • By Chrysalis 19th Jun 17, 8:40 PM
    • 1,946 Posts
    • 888 Thanks
    Chrysalis
    They're very different.

The landlord is renting you a house, they have the right to go to court and kick you out after 6 months for no reason whatsoever, or sooner if you don't pay the rent. Its not a long term commitment.

A mortgage lender never owns your house. They lend you a large sum of money secured on your house and you enter a contract to pay that money back, plus interest, usually over a few decades.

Not comparable at all, except for the fact that houses are involved.
    Originally posted by Red-Squirrel
    Too right, the fact is a landlord/LA is not supplying you any form of credit.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

811Posts Today

7,074Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin