Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • joa1210
    • By joa1210 17th Jun 17, 8:20 PM
    • 16Posts
    • 2Thanks
    joa1210
    How long......
    • 17th Jun 17, 8:20 PM
    How long...... 17th Jun 17 at 8:20 PM
    From pressing the button to the OR freezing a bank account?
    I finally have funds to press the button on Monday but get paid the week after on Monday, DDs all done and dusted by 1st so trying to decide whether to just press the button or hang on til after the 1st
    TIA
Page 1
    • nikkirr
    • By nikkirr 17th Jun 17, 8:35 PM
    • 36 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    nikkirr
    • 17th Jun 17, 8:35 PM
    Re
    • 17th Jun 17, 8:35 PM
    Hi, i was told that if ur acct has an overdraft u cant use it if u have a basic bank account with one of the banks that approve accounts fir bankrupt people u r ok, so depends on ur acc.

I opened a basic natwest acc, my two halifax are being closed one has overdraft i switched all dd before pressing the button
    • philnicandevan
    • By philnicandevan 18th Jun 17, 7:35 AM
    • 520 Posts
    • 500 Thanks
    philnicandevan
    • 18th Jun 17, 7:35 AM
    • 18th Jun 17, 7:35 AM
    (and its banks that freeze accounts NOT the OR's offices)
    Not quite a newbie as you think (the member formally known as philnicandamy!)

FINALLY a qualified CAB debt caseworker 2015..
    BSC 58
    • joa1210
    • By joa1210 18th Jun 17, 8:34 AM
    • 16 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    joa1210
    • 18th Jun 17, 8:34 AM
    • 18th Jun 17, 8:34 AM
    Sorry badly worded, I did know that and still put it, I have a basic Barclays but I have a barclaycard with them. I need to hit the button asap have put it off for too long.
    • peterkay369
    • By peterkay369 18th Jun 17, 9:10 AM
    • 161 Posts
    • 68 Thanks
    peterkay369
    • 18th Jun 17, 9:10 AM
    • 18th Jun 17, 9:10 AM
    If I were you I would open a different account just for peace of mind - with Barclays being one of your creditors I *think* (someone will be able to confirm) that they are able to withhold the funds.

I was told in the OR interview that they are not interested in my basic Nationwide account, also had a letter from Nationwide a couple of weeks later to confirm they had been notified but it won't affect anything.

It's also handy to withdraw a few hundred in cash if you can just before you press the button in case the account does get frozen so you aren't stuck with no money.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,264Posts Today

7,962Users online

Martin's Twitter