Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • littlewren
    • By littlewren 17th Jun 17, 7:38 PM
    • 1,705Posts
    • 697Thanks
    littlewren
    Sending IBAN & BIC numbers
    • 17th Jun 17, 7:38 PM
    Sending IBAN & BIC numbers 17th Jun 17 at 7:38 PM
    My brother lives in the Republic of Ireland and needs to send some money to me, of course they deal in euros. He wants my IBAN & BIC numbers so that he can pay it in to my bank account. I only correspond with him through Facebook, is it safe to send him the IBAN & BIC numbers via a private message or is there any risk?

TIA
    Money, money, money, must be funny, in the rich man's World!
Page 1
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 17th Jun 17, 8:30 PM
    • 17,934 Posts
    • 13,605 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 17th Jun 17, 8:30 PM
    • 17th Jun 17, 8:30 PM
    It's no more risky than sending your sortcode and account number, possibly less so as it wouldn't be possible to do a Jeremy Clarkson (setting up a DD to a charity) with BIC/IBAN. How secure FB messaging is I couldn't say, but I doubt if it's any less secure than any other means of communication other than a face to face conversation.
    • Lith
    • By Lith 18th Jun 17, 12:46 AM
    • 863 Posts
    • 239 Thanks
    Lith
    • 18th Jun 17, 12:46 AM
    • 18th Jun 17, 12:46 AM
    My brother lives in the Republic of Ireland and needs to send some money to me, of course they deal in euros. He wants my IBAN & BIC numbers so that he can pay it in to my bank account. I only correspond with him through Facebook, is it safe to send him the IBAN & BIC numbers via a private message or is there any risk?

TIA
    Originally posted by littlewren
    Why not just text him? if he has an irish number. Facebook? wouldn't trust that sh!t.
    HSBC (Main A/C)
    Halifax Back up A/C
    Lloyds (Spending) A/C
    RBS Back up A/C
    Barclays Old A/C
    Nationwide Old A/C
    • Heng Leng
    • By Heng Leng 18th Jun 17, 1:41 AM
    • 3,961 Posts
    • 1,210 Thanks
    Heng Leng
    • 18th Jun 17, 1:41 AM
    • 18th Jun 17, 1:41 AM
    Why not just text him? if he has an irish number. Facebook? wouldn't trust that sh!t.
    Originally posted by Lith
    Lack of eloquence aside, I doubt a Facebook message is much less secure than sms.
    • Flobberchops
    • By Flobberchops 18th Jun 17, 10:40 AM
    • 524 Posts
    • 359 Thanks
    Flobberchops
    • 18th Jun 17, 10:40 AM
    • 18th Jun 17, 10:40 AM
    It's no more risky than sending your sortcode and account number, possibly less so as it wouldn't be possible to do a Jeremy Clarkson (setting up a DD to a charity) with BIC/IBAN.
    Originally posted by agrinnall
    Sorry to be a pedant but it's actually exactly as risky, as an IBAN number is made up of your sort code and account number preceded by some identifying characters.

All personal financial information should be treated as sensitive, but BIC/IBAN is certainly a heck of a lot more safe than, say, disclosing your PIN or card security code.
    I work for a UK bank, but any comments made on this forum are solely my personal opinion. Caveat Emptor!
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 18th Jun 17, 3:19 PM
    • 17,934 Posts
    • 13,605 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 18th Jun 17, 3:19 PM
    • 18th Jun 17, 3:19 PM
    Sorry to be a pedant but it's actually exactly as risky, as an IBAN number is made up of your sort code and account number preceded by some identifying characters.
    Originally posted by Flobberchops
    Although not everybody knows that, which might make it slightly less risky (although I'd expect anyone with the ability to intercept and use FB messages would also know the makeup of an IBAN).
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 18th Jun 17, 4:05 PM
    • 2,610 Posts
    • 1,122 Thanks
    eDicky
    • 18th Jun 17, 4:05 PM
    • 18th Jun 17, 4:05 PM
    If I have to give someone my bank details I send it with **** in place of the last four characters, and a note that they will be sent separately by another means, which I do. Not totally effective if you're really being targeted of course, and perhaps not possible for the OP with the 'Facebook only' limitation.
    • robatwork
    • By robatwork 18th Jun 17, 7:26 PM
    • 3,793 Posts
    • 4,115 Thanks
    robatwork
    • 18th Jun 17, 7:26 PM
    • 18th Jun 17, 7:26 PM
    Plenty of paranoia on display but I would have no compunction sending my details over FB messenger.

If you want something with a tin hat on, you could go for whatsapp instead - if you both use the latest version then that's encrypted end to end. https://www.whatsapp.com/security/ According to reports this is the app terrorists favour as it's hard to be hacked.
    • Lith
    • By Lith 18th Jun 17, 10:24 PM
    • 863 Posts
    • 239 Thanks
    Lith
    • 18th Jun 17, 10:24 PM
    • 18th Jun 17, 10:24 PM
    [/url]According to reports this is the app terrorists favour as it's hard to be hacked.
    Originally posted by robatwork
    No it isn;t.... it can be hacked and has had downtime problems.... everyone knows the top #1 app for black market/terrorists is *BBM*
    HSBC (Main A/C)
    Halifax Back up A/C
    Lloyds (Spending) A/C
    RBS Back up A/C
    Barclays Old A/C
    Nationwide Old A/C
    • littlewren
    • By littlewren 19th Jun 17, 12:58 PM
    • 1,705 Posts
    • 697 Thanks
    littlewren
    Thank you everyone for your replies, to be honest I'm still none the wiser lol Maybe I'm being paranoid, but I don't think I'll take the risk. :-O
    Money, money, money, must be funny, in the rich man's World!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,097Posts Today

7,264Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin