Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sh856531
    • By sh856531 17th Jun 17, 3:57 PM
    • 380Posts
    • 155Thanks
    sh856531
    Who sets up phone/internet on a new build?
    • 17th Jun 17, 3:57 PM
    Who sets up phone/internet on a new build? 17th Jun 17 at 3:57 PM
    Hi all

I am set to be the very first resident at a new build estate near Cramlington. I just had a call from the builder stating that despite earlier assurances BT had not done the requisite cabeling to get phone service from the date we move in. I get the impression that the estate itself is wired up, but that Opernreach haven't physically connected the estate to their network.

Can anyone advise on what the process is for this? Do I need to call openreach to get them to do something or is it the builder?

I'm a little disappointed with the builder right now. Admittedly they may be somewhat at the mercy of external providers, they had promised that both Virgin would be offering service as well as BT. Now that we have exchanged it turns out that is not the case

Any advice on how to get service ASAP would be appreciated

S
Page 1
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 17th Jun 17, 4:03 PM
    • 31,408 Posts
    • 37,105 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 17th Jun 17, 4:03 PM
    • 17th Jun 17, 4:03 PM
    is it Openreach or have the builder forgotten to tell them that their bit was done ?

https://www.ournetwork.openreach.co.uk/property-development.aspx?utm_source=furl-newsites&utm_medium=site&utm_campaign=Openreach-furl-newsites
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I'm a volunteer to help them run smoothly and I can move and merge posts there. However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • Lorian
    • By Lorian 17th Jun 17, 4:08 PM
    • 4,009 Posts
    • 2,172 Thanks
    Lorian
    • 17th Jun 17, 4:08 PM
    • 17th Jun 17, 4:08 PM
    What does BT's checker say if you enter the postcode?

https://www.productsandservices.bt.com/products/speed-checker/
    • sh856531
    • By sh856531 17th Jun 17, 4:37 PM
    • 380 Posts
    • 155 Thanks
    sh856531
    • 17th Jun 17, 4:37 PM
    • 17th Jun 17, 4:37 PM
    Originally posted by Browntoa
    Well thats possible but the builder won't likely be in a hurry to admit to that. I'm just keen to make sure that there is no further delay if there is something I can do personally to make Openreach act sooner. I also just wanted to make sure that it wasn't actually my responsibilty to notify them as the first resident.

The property is so new it doesn't even seem to have a postcode assigned in the Royal Mail database, which isn't helping matters when speaking to phone companies and the like :-/

S
    • BeckyAP
    • By BeckyAP 19th Jun 17, 11:56 AM
    • 17 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    BeckyAP
    • 19th Jun 17, 11:56 AM
    • 19th Jun 17, 11:56 AM
    Hello,

I'm going through this at the minute. Here's what I know -
    The property must be registered with both the Royal Mail and Openreach.
    The Royal Mail registering you can do yourself online.
    Openreach I'm having more trouble with...I know I've got fibre to the home, seen the little openreach box in the cupboard and everything but they haven't registered my address.
    When I speak to someone like Zen or BT about getting internet in, they say they can't do anything until the address has been registered with openreach.
    I've used their newbuild form again today to try and get them to regsiter the address but until those two bits are done, you won't get internet!
    • comeandgo
    • By comeandgo 19th Jun 17, 12:05 PM
    • 1,674 Posts
    • 2,236 Thanks
    comeandgo
    • 19th Jun 17, 12:05 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 12:05 PM
    Openreach are a nightmare to deal with. We had to wait 6 weeks to get phone and Internet in, as we had no postcode, we were the first house in anew development, Openreach would do nothing.
    • Captain89
    • By Captain89 19th Jun 17, 3:14 PM
    • 104 Posts
    • 27 Thanks
    Captain89
    • 19th Jun 17, 3:14 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 3:14 PM
    Took us 5 weeks to get our line connected and that was after we sent a letter to the CEO of BT. They are the worst when dealing with a new line. Openreach would not talk to us. They only deal with the service provider.
    • armchaireconomist
    • By armchaireconomist 19th Jun 17, 4:00 PM
    • 132 Posts
    • 131 Thanks
    armchaireconomist
    • 19th Jun 17, 4:00 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 4:00 PM
    Off topic: This wouldn't happen to be the Avant homes estate on the old Wilkinson sword factory behind the train station would it?

Small world...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,070Posts Today

7,361Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin