Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jack_pott
    • By jack_pott 17th Jun 17, 3:54 PM
    • 4,021Posts
    • 5,091Thanks
    jack_pott
    Windows 7 Folder "Date Modified"
    • 17th Jun 17, 3:54 PM
    Windows 7 Folder "Date Modified" 17th Jun 17 at 3:54 PM
    If I open a Word or Excel file, read it, then close it without modifying or saving anything, why would the folder that contains it get updated with a new "date modified" time? The "date modified" on the file itself doesn't change. I expected that the folder is only "modified" if the name or number of the files it contains change.
Page 1
    • unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 17th Jun 17, 4:42 PM
    • 1,676 Posts
    • 2,117 Thanks
    unforeseen
    • 17th Jun 17, 4:42 PM
    • 17th Jun 17, 4:42 PM
    Because the folder has been modified by a temporary file being added that is created by word/excel when you open a doc or spreadsheet. When you then close the doc/ spreadsheet the temp file is deleted
    • Strider590
    • By Strider590 17th Jun 17, 4:55 PM
    • 11,538 Posts
    • 6,457 Thanks
    Strider590
    • 17th Jun 17, 4:55 PM
    • 17th Jun 17, 4:55 PM
    Because the folder has been modified by a temporary file being added that is created by word/excel when you open a doc or spreadsheet. When you then close the doc/ spreadsheet the temp file is deleted
    Originally posted by unforeseen
    ^^ This

BUT it also happens when a folder contains images, where Win7 creates an invisible thumbnails file inside the directory, thus changing the modified date of the folder.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
    • John Gray
    • By John Gray 17th Jun 17, 6:02 PM
    • 5,010 Posts
    • 2,636 Thanks
    John Gray
    • 17th Jun 17, 6:02 PM
    • 17th Jun 17, 6:02 PM
    There is a very old technical article written by the author of a file copy program about Windows use of file dates and times which is still worth a read...
    • jack_pott
    • By jack_pott 17th Jun 17, 6:11 PM
    • 4,021 Posts
    • 5,091 Thanks
    jack_pott
    • 17th Jun 17, 6:11 PM
    • 17th Jun 17, 6:11 PM
    Thanks all, I'm surprised that I've only just noticed it! I wondered if it might be because a virus was getting in when I opened the file.
    • Neil Jones
    • By Neil Jones 17th Jun 17, 6:23 PM
    • 732 Posts
    • 391 Thanks
    Neil Jones
    • 17th Jun 17, 6:23 PM
    • 17th Jun 17, 6:23 PM
    There used to be software available a while back (can't remember what it was called) that allowed you to set the date and time of when a folder was last modified but I couldn't say if there is something similar around today as I haven't had need to use it.
    • John Gray
    • By John Gray 17th Jun 17, 9:03 PM
    • 5,010 Posts
    • 2,636 Thanks
    John Gray
    • 17th Jun 17, 9:03 PM
    • 17th Jun 17, 9:03 PM
    You're probably thinking of FolderTimeUpdate for multiple folders, from Nir Sofer, which updates the folder's Modified timestamp to the same as the newest file contained in it.

Or, in a BATch file, for a single folder:
    :: change the timestamp of a folder to the current date and time
    set fn=x:\folder_name
    type nul>"%fn%\$dummy$" & del "%fn%\$dummy$"
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 19th Jun 17, 9:11 AM
    • 2,695 Posts
    • 1,825 Thanks
    AndyPix
    • 19th Jun 17, 9:11 AM
    • 19th Jun 17, 9:11 AM
    Lock file and thumbs.db (Both hidden by default) are being modified by the system
    Running with scissors since 1978
    • Le_Kirk
    • By Le_Kirk 19th Jun 17, 9:47 AM
    • 2,074 Posts
    • 1,054 Thanks
    Le_Kirk
    • 19th Jun 17, 9:47 AM
    • 19th Jun 17, 9:47 AM
    I hate those thumbs.db! Whenever I do a back-up to my external drive, I get a failure - imagine the first time that happened! 43 fails with over 1,000 passes. I eventually tracked it down to the software trying to back up the thumbs.db's (access denied). I know why they are there - to facilitate icons with previews of pictures and as I do a lot of photography (Photoshop) work it is a boon to able able to see what the .jpg's are - although of course Photoshop files don't have a preview.
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 19th Jun 17, 10:10 AM
    • 2,695 Posts
    • 1,825 Thanks
    AndyPix
    I hate those thumbs.db! .
    Originally posted by Le_Kirk

HKEY_CURRENT_USER
    Software
    Microsoft
    Windows
    CurrentVersion
    ExplorerAdvanced
    set DisableThumbnailCache to 1
    • John Gray
    • By John Gray 19th Jun 17, 11:02 AM
    • 5,010 Posts
    • 2,636 Thanks
    John Gray
    Andy: you might need to point out, if in the key
    HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Exp lorer\Advanced
    the value
    DisableThumbnailCache
    is not present, it would be necessary to set this value up as a REG_DWRD with a value of 1.
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 19th Jun 17, 12:10 PM
    • 2,695 Posts
    • 1,825 Thanks
    AndyPix
    ^^^^ Merci
    • Le_Kirk
    • By Le_Kirk 19th Jun 17, 1:57 PM
    • 2,074 Posts
    • 1,054 Thanks
    Le_Kirk
    Thanks John Gray and AndyPix. I did find out how to disable it but it then doesn't give previews on the icon, which, as I stated in my post, I find useful.
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 19th Jun 17, 2:27 PM
    • 2,695 Posts
    • 1,825 Thanks
    AndyPix
    You're stuffed then

Cant have one without the other
    • Le_Kirk
    • By Le_Kirk 19th Jun 17, 3:09 PM
    • 2,074 Posts
    • 1,054 Thanks
    Le_Kirk
    You're stuffed then

Cant have one without the other
    Originally posted by AndyPix
    Yep, I'll put up with the "failure" to back up now I know what it is and it is not really a failure (why would I want to back up a thumbs.db!!)
    • unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 19th Jun 17, 6:07 PM
    • 1,676 Posts
    • 2,117 Thanks
    unforeseen
    Can't you exclude thumbs.db from the backup task?
    • Le_Kirk
    • By Le_Kirk 19th Jun 17, 6:15 PM
    • 2,074 Posts
    • 1,054 Thanks
    Le_Kirk
    Good spot but not sure I can because they are not visible (usually - and I know you can display hidden files in File Explorer) but this is the Samsung transportable drive back-up software. Next back-up I will investigate that. I've put a note on the drive.
    • Le_Kirk
    • By Le_Kirk 28th Jun 17, 1:18 PM
    • 2,074 Posts
    • 1,054 Thanks
    Le_Kirk
    Can't you exclude thumbs.db from the backup task?
    Originally posted by unforeseen
    I ran my periodic backup today and tried to exclude *.db from the source but (despite having every other file extension you could think of) my Samsung M3 does not allow exclusion of .db. Grrr.

I went through the source and (hopefully) unticked every eventuality of a thumbs.db.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

691Posts Today

5,957Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin