Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Newlook
    • By Newlook 17th Jun 17, 3:36 PM
    • 99Posts
    • 23Thanks
    Newlook
    juliet balconies- permitted development or not
    • 17th Jun 17, 3:36 PM
    juliet balconies- permitted development or not 17th Jun 17 at 3:36 PM
    Hello again,

Can anyone confirm if Juliet Balconies come under Permitted Development?

I'm in England, have been told that they are not permitted under permitted development however I discovered this when researching. The fact that this appeal was allowed implies that they do come under permitted development.

http://www.permitteddevelopment.org/Appeal-Decision-47.html

Summary of Case (appeal allowed)

The first key issue was whether the proposed Juliette balcony would be contrary to Class A, part A.1(i), which states that “Development is not permitted by Class A if … (i) it would consist of or include … (i) the construction or provision of a veranda, balcony or raised platform …”

Main Conclusion:
    A “Juliette balcony” is not a “balcony” for the purposes of the GPDO, and therefore is permitted development.[Relevant to: “Juliette balconies”, A.1(i), B.1(d), E.1(g)].

The Inspector noted that the Juliette balcony would have not have a platform “stated that “the provision of a balustrade where no external access is permitted under Class B”.

I wish to have one in my dormer conversion instead of the typical windows. Full plan application has been approved by borough council however I now want the Juliet internal opening doors if I can instead of the proposed dormer windows. The dormer will be 200cm high, can I get one for this height?

Thank you.
    Last edited by Newlook; 25-06-2017 at 2:34 PM.
Page 1
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 17th Jun 17, 11:02 PM
    • 23,898 Posts
    • 66,430 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    • 17th Jun 17, 11:02 PM
    • 17th Jun 17, 11:02 PM
    It would be PD where I live. Been there and done it a few times.

You're saying you have full plans alproved though, which is full planning permission? You can't add PD onto something which needs PP.

Can you clarify?
    Last edited by Doozergirl; 17-06-2017 at 11:04 PM.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
    • Newlook
    • By Newlook 18th Jun 17, 10:09 AM
    • 99 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    Newlook
    • 18th Jun 17, 10:09 AM
    • 18th Jun 17, 10:09 AM
    Doozergirl,

I'm in England and Full Plans Application was submitted to Local Borough Council and approved. I didn't need Planning Permission as the dormer is within permitted development and on the back of the property.

Architect and two loft companies (all unrelated) have told me that I can't have one unless I hold things up and apply for planning permission, however after researching, I am questioning their knowledge. Unless it's due to the finishing height only being 2 metres.

I'll get on to them.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Newlook; 25-06-2017 at 2:32 PM.
    • Cash-Cows
    • By Cash-Cows 18th Jun 17, 1:00 PM
    • 160 Posts
    • 111 Thanks
    Cash-Cows
    • 18th Jun 17, 1:00 PM
    • 18th Jun 17, 1:00 PM
    If it fronts a highway i don't think it will be PD.
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 18th Jun 17, 1:14 PM
    • 731 Posts
    • 558 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    • 18th Jun 17, 1:14 PM
    • 18th Jun 17, 1:14 PM
    If it fronts a highway i don't think it will be PD.
    Originally posted by Cash-Cows
    It's on the rear of the property.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,046Posts Today

6,729Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin