Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • love2learn
    • By love2learn 17th Jun 17, 1:55 PM
    • 159Posts
    • 8Thanks
    love2learn
    Dispute With Virgin Media
    • 17th Jun 17, 1:55 PM
    Dispute With Virgin Media 17th Jun 17 at 1:55 PM
    Hi,

Just want opinions on this. I have TV, Broadband and Phone with Virgin Media. I was in a contract initially for 18 months, this contract has came to an end and I've been told I'm now on a 30 day rolling contract.

I wanted to cancel the phone (don't use it) and the TV (Only watch Freeview) and to keep the broadband.

I asked them to leave the broadband on the 30 day rolling contract and cancel the tv and phone. The reason for this is I have my house on the market and if we sell it I could be moving to an area with no Virgin Media.

They now tell me that if I cancel the TV and Phone, I will need to take a new 12 month contract for the Broadband. I said this can't be right, it's not treating customers fairly. I'm happy to keep the broadband and pay for it on the 30 day rolling contract.

But they're having none of it. I even asked them to show me in the terms and conditions where is says If I remove services I have to then start a new contract on the remaining service.

I can't see anywhere where it says this. I checked Section K of their terms and conditions and can see no legal wording stating I have to take a new 12 month contract just for removing 2 of the 3 services I currently receive. The guy on the phone said he checked to 2 different managers and this is the case, even when I asked him to prove it with the terms and conditions he said this is the case even though there is no wording for it.

The only wording is for adding additional services, I'm not adding an additional service, I already have the service and have completed an 18 month contract.

http://www.virginmedia.com/shop/the-legal-stuff/terms-and-conditions-for-fibre-optic-services.html#agreement

This means they are giving me an ultimatum. Either cancel everything, or keep the broadband I already have and be forced into a new 12 month contract, when I may be moving house (if the house sells)

The best of it is the actually offer broadband only on a 30 day rolling contract on their website. But say they can't give me this.

Regards

Chris

Page 1
    • glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 17th Jun 17, 1:59 PM
    • 4,704 Posts
    • 3,724 Thanks
    glentoran99
    • 17th Jun 17, 1:59 PM
    • 17th Jun 17, 1:59 PM
    You would be starting a new contract with them, for broadband only, the contract you have is for 3 services, a new one is needed for just one
    • glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 17th Jun 17, 2:00 PM
    • 4,704 Posts
    • 3,724 Thanks
    glentoran99
    • 17th Jun 17, 2:00 PM
    • 17th Jun 17, 2:00 PM
    Where is the 30 day broadband only on the site? I can only see 12 month, the 30 day ones are broadband and phone
    • love2learn
    • By love2learn 17th Jun 17, 2:13 PM
    • 159 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    love2learn
    • 17th Jun 17, 2:13 PM
    • 17th Jun 17, 2:13 PM
    You would be starting a new contract with them, for broadband only, the contract you have is for 3 services, a new one is needed for just one
    Originally posted by glentoran99
    I see no wording in the terms and conditions for that. And it seems unfair that they can put me on a new 12 month contract just for removing services. I haven't taken anything new, I already have the broadband.

http://www.virginmedia.com/shop/the-legal-stuff/terms-and-conditions-for-fibre-optic-services.html#agreement

• love2learn
    • By love2learn 17th Jun 17, 2:16 PM
    • 159 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    love2learn
    • 17th Jun 17, 2:16 PM
    • 17th Jun 17, 2:16 PM
    Where is the 30 day broadband only on the site? I can only see 12 month, the 30 day ones are broadband and phone
    http://www.virginmedia.com/shop/broadband/broadband-only.html

Click the "30 day rolling tab".

• mije1983
    • By mije1983 17th Jun 17, 2:18 PM
    • 2,559 Posts
    • 18,334 Thanks
    mije1983
    • 17th Jun 17, 2:18 PM
    • 17th Jun 17, 2:18 PM
    And it seems unfair.......
    Originally posted by love2learn
    If that's the way they want to do business then that is up to them. Nothing fair or unfair about it.

On the other hand, you are equally able to say 'no thanks, see you later' and move to a different ISP. You'll probably see a decrease in your speeds, but that's the decision you have to make.

• glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 17th Jun 17, 2:20 PM
    • 4,704 Posts
    • 3,724 Thanks
    glentoran99
    • 17th Jun 17, 2:20 PM
    • 17th Jun 17, 2:20 PM
    I see no wording in the terms and conditions for that. And it seems unfair that they can put me on a new 12 month contract just for removing services. I haven't taken anything new, I already have the broadband.

doesn't matter what it says though, You are asking for a change and with that change they are asking you to agree new terms,

Leave and sign up for the 30 day broadband offered on their site
    • love2learn
    • By love2learn 17th Jun 17, 3:35 PM
    • 159 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    love2learn
    • 17th Jun 17, 3:35 PM
    • 17th Jun 17, 3:35 PM
    If that's the way they want to do business then that is up to them. Nothing fair or unfair about it.

On the other hand, you are equally able to say 'no thanks, see you later' and move to a different ISP. You'll probably see a decrease in your speeds, but that's the decision you have to make.
    Originally posted by mije1983

There is no legal terms and conditions to allow them to enforce a 12 month contract on me just for removing two services. I'm waiting on a manager clarifying it with their legal team. If they state the decision stands, I'll use the legal cover in my home insurance to challenge them.

They're at it, and this must be happening to a lot of other customers.

I can't simply say no thanks, as I need broadband, but may be moving house if my house sells so can't sign up for a longer contract either...

Rock and a hard place.

• love2learn
    • By love2learn 17th Jun 17, 3:38 PM
    • 159 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    love2learn
    • 17th Jun 17, 3:38 PM
    • 17th Jun 17, 3:38 PM
    doesn't matter what it says though, You are asking for a change and with that change they are asking you to agree new terms,

Leave and sign up for the 30 day broadband offered on their site
    Yes it does they formed a contract with me without clearly setting out the terms should I wish to remove part of my services.

They say there is a minimum term where I can't be with them before I can sign up for the 30 day rolling contract too.

So they're leaving me with no choice but to either pay for something I don't need or form a contract that could cost me if I need to move house.

Inflexible, and nothing in the terms and conditions I signed up to stating this could happen.

• glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 17th Jun 17, 3:45 PM
    • 4,704 Posts
    • 3,724 Thanks
    glentoran99
    Yes it does they formed a contract with me without clearly setting out the terms should I wish to remove part of my services.

They say there is a minimum term where I can't be with them before I can sign up for the 30 day rolling contract too.

So they're leaving me with no choice but to either pay for something I don't need or form a contract that could cost me if I need to move house.

Inflexible, and nothing in the terms and conditions I signed up to stating this could happen.

the contract has ended though
    • love2learn
    • By love2learn 17th Jun 17, 4:00 PM
    • 159 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    love2learn
    the contract has ended though
    Nope I'm on a 30 day rolling contract for all 3 services according to them. They then want to force a 12 month contract on me for the broadand only if I cancel 2 of the services, despite offering 30 day rolling contracts for broadband only on their website.

It makes no logical sense.

• mije1983
    • By mije1983 17th Jun 17, 4:01 PM
    • 2,559 Posts
    • 18,334 Thanks
    mije1983
    There is no legal terms and conditions to allow them to enforce a 12 month contract on me just for removing two services. I'm waiting on a manager clarifying it with their legal team. If they state the decision stands, I'll use the legal cover in my home insurance to challenge them.

Be interested to know on what grounds you would legally challenge them? If Virgin don't want to do businses with you, or do but with certain conditions, then that is their right.

I also wouldn't be surprised to see them disconnect you if you start legal proceedings against them, so end up without broadband anyway!

this must be happening to a lot of other customers.
    So they're probably not discriminating against you due to your race/sexual orientation/religion etc? Therefore legally I don't think they are doing anything wrong.

I can't simply say no thanks, as I need broadband
    There are other 30 day contract BB suppliers, not just Virgin. There are also other options than fixed line BB. So your choices appear to number more than Virgin alone.

Nope I'm on a 30 day rolling contract for all 3 services according to them.
    Which you are asking to change substantially, so a new contract for just 1 service will come into force.

• glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 17th Jun 17, 4:11 PM
    • 4,704 Posts
    • 3,724 Thanks
    glentoran99
    Nope I'm on a 30 day rolling contract for all 3 services according to them. They then want to force a 12 month contract on me for the broadand only if I cancel 2 of the services, despite offering 30 day rolling contracts for broadband only on their website.

It makes no logical sense.

They are forcing nothing, its your choice they have given you the terms, don't like it go elsewhere
    • glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 17th Jun 17, 4:11 PM
    • 4,704 Posts
    • 3,724 Thanks
    glentoran99
    Be interested to know on what grounds you would legally challenge them? If Virgin don't want to do businses with you, or do but with certain conditions, then that is their right.

I also wouldn't be surprised to see them disconnect you if you start legal proceedings against them, so end up without broadband anyway!

So they're probably not discriminating against you due to your race/sexual orientation/religion etc? Therefore legally I don't think they are doing anything wrong.

There are other 30 day contract BB suppliers, not just Virgin. There are also other options than fixed line BB. So your choices appear to number more than Virgin alone.

Which you are asking to change substantially, so a new contract for just 1 service will come into force.

good luck finding one that doesn't need a phone line
    • mije1983
    • By mije1983 17th Jun 17, 4:15 PM
    • 2,559 Posts
    • 18,334 Thanks
    mije1983
    good luck finding one that doesn't need a phone line
    Where did I say you didn't need a phone line? It's all packaged under one price now anyway so not sure what the issue is?

• glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 17th Jun 17, 4:20 PM
    • 4,704 Posts
    • 3,724 Thanks
    glentoran99
    Where did I say you didn't need a phone line? It's all packaged under one price now anyway so not sure what the issue is?
    That's part of his complaint, he wants rid of the phone line
    • iniltous
    • By iniltous 17th Jun 17, 4:25 PM
    • 1,346 Posts
    • 474 Thanks
    iniltous
    TBH, they publish the T&C's for their benefit more than yours, and no doubt know what they can and cannot do in any situation, is it treating a customer fairly ?, that's open to debate, can you make them do what you want, probably not, they would argue that by removing 2 of the 3 parts of the bundle it's you that are changing the terms of the contract not them, and by you altering the terms of the contract they are entitled to a new minimum term.
    There are many options available
    Continue to pay for 3 services , gives the option to quit without ETC.
    Cancel everything, and use someone else, but that could include minimum terms, or use a company that has (generally more expensive) 30 day contracts.
    Cancel everything and apply for a 30 day rolling 'contract' for broadband with VM, but I would imagine that would be more expensive than the broadband element of your current 'deal'.
    Pick a provider that will be able to offer service at your new address, and allow you to move your account to that new address.
    Make the availability of VM the deal breaker for your new home, and take a minimum term broadband deal on offer from VM
    But if the computer says 'no' , as far as cancel TV and phone and continue without minimum term for broadband, they have the whip hand
    • mije1983
    • By mije1983 17th Jun 17, 4:27 PM
    • 2,559 Posts
    • 18,334 Thanks
    mije1983
    That's part of his complaint, he wants rid of the phone line
    Only because they don't use it, and with Virgin it isn't needed. Not for any other reason. And with Virgin's monthly prices, you are paying the equivalent of line rental anyway so no saving really to be had over a traditional LR+BB package.

• Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 17th Jun 17, 4:48 PM
    • 19,515 Posts
    • 9,608 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    There is no legal terms and conditions to allow them to enforce a 12 month contract on me just for removing two services. If they state the decision stands, I'll use the legal cover in my home insurance to challenge them.
    Your Home Insurance will not cover the costs of you bringing this to a court, I guarantee it.

Regardless, any such action would be swiftly thrown out of court.
    • love2learn
    • By love2learn 17th Jun 17, 4:57 PM
    • 159 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    love2learn
    Your Home Insurance will not cover the costs of you bringing this to a court, I guarantee it.

Regardless, any such action would be swiftly thrown out of court.
    Originally posted by Moneyineptitude
    Well I'll wait on their final response and request it in writing, if I don't agree with it. I'll take it to the independent adjudicator as per the complaints process. Then OffCom.

I've completed an 18 month contract, paid every bill on time. And now when I want to remove parts of their service that I literally don't use, they say the only way I can do that is to take a new 12 month contract.

It's not the amount of money, it's the principal. I'm not asking to change the broadband, only remove to services I don't use.

They offer the 30 day rolling contract on their website. Tell me verbally it's only for new customers, and can't show any wording in their terms and conditions to prove that either.

At the very least they're not treating customers fairly. And if no one every does anything about it, nothing will change. I'll at least tie up some of their time and cause them some hassle.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

222Posts Today

2,299Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @furyboy86: @MartinSLewis I read your email, and decided to check my account interest rates. My main account = 0.0%(!) and my cash ISA =?

• Yes. Theyre being paid. They're responsible. Especially for a scam that's been reported over 20 times andseen vulne? https://t.co/Q0pHZ7iH3W

• Quite right.Broken system as the six week delay forces the most vulnerable into debt at a crisis moment https://t.co/951fogq5ej

• Follow Martin