Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Things.Past
    • By Things.Past 17th Jun 17, 1:13 PM
    • 37Posts
    • 3Thanks
    Things.Past
    Renting with situation
    • 17th Jun 17, 1:13 PM
    Renting with situation 17th Jun 17 at 1:13 PM
    My son has recently rented a property via a housing association. He lives there with his partner and now new born baby.

They have now been confronted with two bees nests (not honey bees). Both at the front of the property, one to the left and one to the right. Entering the house is a bit of a duck and dive and even harder getting the new born in as well... They cannot open either front windows as the nests are just above both front windows.

I feel they are in a dangerous situation and would ask the question who is responsible for the removal of these nests..
    Any advice please..
    Last edited by Things.Past; 17-06-2017 at 9:15 PM.
Page 3
    • 00ec25
    • By 00ec25 18th Jun 17, 1:04 PM
    • 4,322 Posts
    • 3,669 Thanks
    00ec25
    Not everyone tunes into Springwatch and Countryfile every week.

Why, I bet there are people here who've never kept up with the Kardashians, or who think that Kanye West is the man who selects the best pilchards before the rest are rejected....
    Originally posted by Davesnave
    correct, correct, correct, no - he is a cowboy/gunfighter isn't he? Isn't he????
    • SuboJvR
    • By SuboJvR 18th Jun 17, 1:50 PM
    • 214 Posts
    • 157 Thanks
    SuboJvR
    Without getting into the ins and outs of bees/danger/what kind of bees,

It's the tenant's responsibility.

A wasps nest present at the start of the tenancy would be the landlord/council's job to clear, but wasps are not protected species, they are pests.

Bees however are not considered pests and they are protected. Even if the nest were present at the start of the tenancy, the bees are well within 'their' rights to not be forcibly removed. So, they should be removed by a professional for their safety if your son wants them gone. Call the council, they will likely have a recommended agent.

For info, in West Kent I was recently quoted £45 for dealing with a wasps nest. We didn't need it in the end as it was just queens flying around looking for new homes.
    Last edited by SuboJvR; 18-06-2017 at 1:52 PM.
    • EachPenny
    • By EachPenny 18th Jun 17, 2:15 PM
    • 1,378 Posts
    • 1,411 Thanks
    EachPenny
    Why, I bet there are people here who've never kept up with the Kardashians, or who think that Kanye West is the man who selects the best pilchards before the rest are rejected....
    I have to confess near total ignorance about Kardashians - can you call the council if they invade your home?

And thanks for the tip about Kanye West - if anyone's home is affected by dangerous pilchards we now know who to contact
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 18th Jun 17, 2:19 PM
    • 9,416 Posts
    • 7,384 Thanks
    lincroft1710

Weren't the Kardashians the enemies of Dr Who, two series ago? Isn't Kanye West the seldom seen son of Timothy West and Prunella Scales?
    • G_M
    • By G_M 18th Jun 17, 2:20 PM
    • 40,151 Posts
    • 45,853 Thanks
    G_M
    I have to confess near total ignorance about Kardashians - can you call the council if they invade your home?
    Originally posted by EachPenny
    No. NASA.

(I believe the UK does have a secret RAF unit that monitors and responds to alien landings in the UK but you didn't hear that from me.....)
    • EachPenny
    • By EachPenny 18th Jun 17, 3:17 PM
    • 1,378 Posts
    • 1,411 Thanks
    EachPenny
    No. NASA.
    Originally posted by G_M
    Would that be the National Alien Shifting Authority? I cannot find them online.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
    • DaftyDuck
    • By DaftyDuck 18th Jun 17, 3:38 PM
    • 3,624 Posts
    • 7,222 Thanks
    DaftyDuck
    Would that be the National Alien Shifting Authority? I cannot find them online.
    Having just looked Ms K up on the interweb, I don't think the first "A" refers to aliens, but some much larger threat!
    • Lazarus Blackstar
    • By Lazarus Blackstar 18th Jun 17, 5:15 PM
    • 122 Posts
    • 216 Thanks
    Lazarus Blackstar
    Oh dear, another poster who doesn't like to hear what he wants to hear...........
    Will someone please think of the children!
    "The truth is of course is that there is no journey.
    We are arriving and departing all at the same time."

• Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 18th Jun 17, 5:19 PM
    • 22,629 Posts
    • 87,502 Thanks
    Davesnave

And thanks for the tip about Kanye West - if anyone's home is affected by dangerous pilchards we now know who to contact
    I think you may be too young to recognise my oblique reference to a very old TV advert, but believe me, that's a very good thing!

EDIT: This is the the 'modern' one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLBelwQd2kA
    Last edited by Davesnave; 18-06-2017 at 5:25 PM.
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
    • Things.Past
    • By Things.Past 29th Jun 17, 4:46 PM
    • 37 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Things.Past
    UPDATE;
    Local association sent out a member of staff, the Bees were considered to be in a dangerous location. The bees have now been removed and relocated. Very pleased, everyone happy, Job Done.
    • SnooksNJ
    • By SnooksNJ 29th Jun 17, 5:36 PM
    • 652 Posts
    • 1,099 Thanks
    SnooksNJ
    UPDATE;
    Local association sent out a member of staff, the Bees were considered to be in a dangerous location. The bees have now been removed and relocated. Very pleased, everyone happy, Job Done.
    Originally posted by Things.Past
    Except for the bees.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 29th Jun 17, 6:00 PM
    • 22,629 Posts
    • 87,502 Thanks
    Davesnave
    UPDATE;
    Yes, there's no doubt they were in a dangerous situation, as you wanted to get rid of them, by whatever means.

Lucky that local beekeepers gave up valuable time to do this and that both nests were so easily accessible that the removal/ relocation was possible.
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
    • Mojisola
    • By Mojisola 29th Jun 17, 6:05 PM
    • 27,826 Posts
    • 70,680 Thanks
    Mojisola
    They have now been confronted with two bees nests (not honey bees).
    Lucky that local beekeepers gave up valuable time to do this and that both nests were so easily accessible that the removal/ relocation was possible.
    Beekeepers will usually come out if the bees are honeybees that they can rehome.

Things.Past - who dealt with the bees and did they identify the species?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

115Posts Today

1,967Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin