Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Andy Bell
    • By Andy Bell 17th Jun 17, 1:01 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Andy Bell
    Returning catalogue item
    • 17th Jun 17, 1:01 PM
    Returning catalogue item 17th Jun 17 at 1:01 PM
    Hi all

We ordered a bed through the Shop Direct Group but when it arrived it was too big to get the headboard upstairs. We tried to decline the delivery but the drivers refused to place the bed back in their van, saying we'd need to contact Shop Direct to arrange a return.

This we did and Shop Direct agreed to it and re-credited our account.

However, it's been weeks now and despite repeated requests they have made no attempt to collect the bed. Whenever I phone up I get through to a customer service rep who knows nothing about anything and wants to go through the whole story again.

What are my rights here? I'm not out of pocket - but I have a double bed in my living room and it's getting in the way of everything!

Do I have any leverage with Shop Direct? Is there a deadline that I can hold them to or do I just have to wait? I can't figure out why they are dragging their heels on this - surely it's in their interest to pick it up so that they can then sell it?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Andy
Page 1
    • deanos
    • By deanos 17th Jun 17, 2:42 PM
    • 10,720 Posts
    • 5,510 Thanks
    deanos
    • 17th Jun 17, 2:42 PM
    • 17th Jun 17, 2:42 PM
    contact them via facebook, they seem better on there at resolving problems
    • unholyangel
    • By unholyangel 17th Jun 17, 3:35 PM
    • 11,282 Posts
    • 8,499 Thanks
    unholyangel
    • 17th Jun 17, 3:35 PM
    • 17th Jun 17, 3:35 PM
    You're basically under the obligations to take reasonable care of the goods and make them available for collection.

The company have 6 years in which to chase you for its return or its value. You can discharge yourself from your duty (or rather, give yourself a defence to any claim they may bring) by sending two written notices containing certain information.

However as above, try their facebook first. Just tell them that you cannot keep the bed for an extended period of time due to its size and therefore, they should arrange collection without delay.

You could also include a list of dates/times you will be available for it to be collected, asking them to let you know which date they've chosen so you can ensure you're available.
    Money doesn't solve poverty.....it creates it.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,078Posts Today

6,972Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's twitter poll: How many languages do you speak (inc Eng) with reasonable fluency (eg can have decent phone chat solely in that lang)

• RT @iiSteveJonesii: @MartinSLewis After watching you talk this morning about me burning £300 I got on a comparison site tonight & sure enou?

• In or near York? This Wed the @itvmlshow Roadshow" will be at the York Food & Drink Festival - do come and say hi; St Sampsons Square 11-4.

• Follow Martin