Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • frugalmacdugal
    • By frugalmacdugal 17th Jun 17, 12:45 PM
    • 5,919Posts
    • 5,118Thanks
    frugalmacdugal
    Father's Day
    • 17th Jun 17, 12:45 PM
    Father's Day 17th Jun 17 at 12:45 PM
    Hi,

how would you feel if you got a

card, and didn't even know your chick was pregnant?
    Y'all take care now.
Page 1
    • UKTigerlily
    • By UKTigerlily 17th Jun 17, 1:48 PM
    • 4,266 Posts
    • 5,263 Thanks
    UKTigerlily
    • 17th Jun 17, 1:48 PM
    • 17th Jun 17, 1:48 PM
    Shocked as i'm female xd but this would be a lovely thing to do, assuming baby is planned . . are congrats in order? lol
    2015 weight loss: 86/100Ibs
    • frugalmacdugal
    • By frugalmacdugal 17th Jun 17, 1:51 PM
    • 5,919 Posts
    • 5,118 Thanks
    frugalmacdugal
    • 17th Jun 17, 1:51 PM
    • 17th Jun 17, 1:51 PM
    Hi,

jings, no congrats for me.

Just wondered if wimmen like to spring these things on husband/partner when first child is imminent, and what the reaction would be.
    Y'all take care now.
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 17th Jun 17, 2:36 PM
    • 1,400 Posts
    • 3,487 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    • 17th Jun 17, 2:36 PM
    • 17th Jun 17, 2:36 PM
    Hi,

jings, no congrats for me.

Just wondered if wimmen like to spring these things on husband/partner when first child is imminent, and what the reaction would be.
    Originally posted by frugalmacdugal
    I don't think it would be worth the effort required in the very careful timing!

Nice idea if it works out by coincidence though, assuming you're pretty confident the man in question will be happy about it.
    • f.o.d.
    • By f.o.d. 17th Jun 17, 3:12 PM
    • 56 Posts
    • 52 Thanks
    f.o.d.
    • 17th Jun 17, 3:12 PM
    • 17th Jun 17, 3:12 PM
    I'd say he's not really a father until the baby's born, but that's just me. Fathers Day (like Mothers Day) is just a commercial invention anyway.
    • Robisere
    • By Robisere 17th Jun 17, 5:50 PM
    • 1,566 Posts
    • 2,314 Thanks
    Robisere
    • 17th Jun 17, 5:50 PM
    • 17th Jun 17, 5:50 PM
    Joy and despair for me on Father's Day.

Joy because of the love, pressies and cards I get from my (s)son and (s)daughter.

Utter, black, despair for the day, because I have not seen my biological children for 42 years, and now never will.
    There may be more than one way to skin a cat.
    But the result is always inedible.

• Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 17th Jun 17, 6:59 PM
    • 12,403 Posts
    • 16,580 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    • 17th Jun 17, 6:59 PM
    • 17th Jun 17, 6:59 PM
    I'd say he's not really a father until the baby's born, but that's just me. Fathers Day (like Mothers Day) is just a commercial invention anyway.
    Originally posted by f.o.d.
    First Fathers' Day without a dad for me.

That said, he despised it as the commercial invention it is and got annoyed if anyone bought him a card. I don't think it even existed when I was a child.
    Advice; it rhymes with mice. Advise; it rhymes with wise.
    • AubreyMac
    • By AubreyMac 19th Jun 17, 12:26 PM
    • 1,003 Posts
    • 2,471 Thanks
    AubreyMac
    • 19th Jun 17, 12:26 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 12:26 PM

Joy because of the love, pressies and cards I get from my (s)son and (s)daughter.

Utter, black, despair for the day, because I have not seen my biological children for 42 years, and now never will.
    Originally posted by Robisere
    Sorry to hear that.

Hope you had a nice Sunday, despite it being bittersweet.
    • jackyann
    • By jackyann 19th Jun 17, 1:58 PM
    • 3,036 Posts
    • 5,755 Thanks
    jackyann
    • 19th Jun 17, 1:58 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 1:58 PM
    Just being pedantic, whilst Father's Day may be a recent invention, Mothering Sunday goes back centuries, and even the American Mother's Day dates back to WW1.
    • 2nd_Time_Lucky
    • By 2nd_Time_Lucky 19th Jun 17, 2:32 PM
    • 157 Posts
    • 132 Thanks
    2nd_Time_Lucky

Originally posted by Robisere
    Joy because i can buy a card for my step-father to say Thanks for being there since i was 14

utter black despair because my parents split up when i was still in middle school (oldest of 3) and i was too young & f****d up to fight the ever decreasing access for which i do blame myself- maybe if i'd been a better child he'd be proud of me, want me in his life

so now i am so very excited in my mid forties if i even get a card once a year with "Dad" written in it perhaps the month after my birthday
    If you can keep your head when all around you are losing theirs, its just possible you haven't grasped the situation
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

101Posts Today

1,994Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin