Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JoshyBoy
    • By JoshyBoy 17th Jun 17, 12:36 PM
    • 95Posts
    • 3Thanks
    JoshyBoy
    Playing a PlayStation 2 through a 4k TV.
    • 17th Jun 17, 12:36 PM
    Playing a PlayStation 2 through a 4k TV. 17th Jun 17 at 12:36 PM
    The picture is very blurry, which is kinda what I'd expect given the console isn't HD and is 15+ years old.

Is there any way to make the picture look more sharp, either with cables I can purchase for the PS2 or settings on my HD TV?
Page 1
    • Lumstorm
    • By Lumstorm 17th Jun 17, 5:09 PM
    • 191 Posts
    • 103 Thanks
    Lumstorm
    • 17th Jun 17, 5:09 PM
    • 17th Jun 17, 5:09 PM
    If you connect it with a component cable it would improve picture quality, how is it connected now is it through a composite cable?

There's also PS2 hdmi convertors such as this https://www.amazon.co.uk/WMicroUK-Quality-Converter-Works-monitor/dp/B00FP9SF4E/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1497715347&sr=8-2&keywords=ps2+to+hdmi

I can't vouch for them I use my PS3 for PS2 games I have, but might be worth a try.
    • dekaspace
    • By dekaspace 17th Jun 17, 11:48 PM
    • 3,027 Posts
    • 2,316 Thanks
    dekaspace
    • 17th Jun 17, 11:48 PM
    • 17th Jun 17, 11:48 PM
    There is questionable methods of doing it (as in not illegal but gray areas) of playing games on your home computer if its powerful enough, even at SD resolutions it will look far better than a real console and not limited to region locking, having save states and such and ability to (which is a gray area) play off hard drive if need be.
    • almillar
    • By almillar 19th Jun 17, 1:04 PM
    • 6,881 Posts
    • 2,735 Thanks
    almillar
    • 19th Jun 17, 1:04 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 1:04 PM
    Get a 32 inch CRT TV for free and it'll look better!
    Yes, progressive cables, as above, are the best official method, but won't be much better than normal SCART. Please tell me you're not viewing the picture via just the yellow phono, or TV modulator!
    You're resolution limited - the PS2 is only putting out so many pixels. The SIZE of your TV, rather than the resolution, means that you're stretching them so very much.
    So down to settings - look for sharpness, and play around with that to your own preference. Making the picture LESS sharp, on the PS2 input only, might look more acceptable. Any motion enhancing stuff, noise reduction stuff, any 'enhancements' basically, turn them off (if you have a 'Game Mode' it might switch them off anyway), and re-introduce them one by one if you want to attempt a better picture, but for the size of the TV, it's simply a poor source.
    • King_Nothing
    • By King_Nothing 21st Jun 17, 1:45 PM
    • 737 Posts
    • 943 Thanks
    King_Nothing
    • 21st Jun 17, 1:45 PM
    • 21st Jun 17, 1:45 PM
    The cheap RGB Scart/HDMI convertors give a slightly improved picture, but still not the best, you can get dedicated HDMI upscalers like what I have with a thing called a Framemeister but they cost about £350-400.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

126Posts Today

2,524Users online

Martin's Twitter