Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Rob321
    • By Rob321 17th Jun 17, 12:23 PM
    • 791Posts
    • 193Thanks
    Rob321
    Overseas Debit Card
    • 17th Jun 17, 12:23 PM
    Overseas Debit Card 17th Jun 17 at 12:23 PM
    Now N&P are closing their current accounts, which is the best debit card to swap to to use overseas (outside europe included)?

Thanks in advance...
Page 1
    • jackieblack
    • By jackieblack 17th Jun 17, 12:30 PM
    • 7,055 Posts
    • 9,176 Thanks
    jackieblack
    • 17th Jun 17, 12:30 PM
    • 17th Jun 17, 12:30 PM
    Guide includes debit as well as credit cards
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/travel-credit-cards
    Also http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/overseas-card-charges
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter,
    south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading

Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
    (Revera linguam latinam vix cognovi )
    • Rob321
    • By Rob321 17th Jun 17, 12:45 PM
    • 791 Posts
    • 193 Thanks
    Rob321
    • 17th Jun 17, 12:45 PM
    • 17th Jun 17, 12:45 PM
    Thanks, I saw that already, but its 12 months out of date, just wanted to know what other people were using or planning to use in the near future when n&p closes their current accounts soon.
    • YorkshireBoy
    • By YorkshireBoy 17th Jun 17, 12:55 PM
    • 29,316 Posts
    • 17,091 Thanks
    YorkshireBoy
    • 17th Jun 17, 12:55 PM
    • 17th Jun 17, 12:55 PM
    Thanks, I saw that already, but its 12 months out of date, just wanted to know what other people were using or planning to use in the near future when n&p closes their current accounts soon.
    Originally posted by Rob321
    Whilst the second article is dated June 2016, the first article is "updated weekly". It says so at the very top!

Indeed, Starling Bank (recommended for worldwide) has only been around a few weeks.

Maybe read the first one again?
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 17th Jun 17, 1:01 PM
    • 5,284 Posts
    • 5,038 Thanks
    eskbanker
    • 17th Jun 17, 1:01 PM
    • 17th Jun 17, 1:01 PM
    I suspect OP was referring to the second one (covering debit cards) which does indeed state that it was last updated in June 2016. That doesn't necessarily make it out of date though, if there are no significant changes to credit and debit card charges since then....

OP, you might wish to read the thread from when this was originally news as various ideas were kicked around then: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5592031

Edit: I now see that the first piece, despite its title, includes debit cards as well!
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 17th Jun 17, 1:56 PM
    • 2,686 Posts
    • 1,158 Thanks
    eDicky
    • 17th Jun 17, 1:56 PM
    • 17th Jun 17, 1:56 PM
    just wanted to know what other people were using or planning to use in the near future when n&p closes their current accounts soon.
    I'm already using Starling Bank, the card has been working perfectly in various countries. Transactions appear instantly on the excellent app, with the rate and details updated on settlement a day or two later. Also Monzo, Revolut, Clarity etc.
    • Rob321
    • By Rob321 20th Jun 17, 2:22 PM
    • 791 Posts
    • 193 Thanks
    Rob321
    • 20th Jun 17, 2:22 PM
    • 20th Jun 17, 2:22 PM
    I'm already using Starling Bank, the card has been working perfectly in various countries. Transactions appear instantly on the excellent app, with the rate and details updated on settlement a day or two later. Also Monzo, Revolut, Clarity etc.
    Originally posted by eDicky
    Unfortunately MasterCard debit cards arent as widely accepted at ATM's throughout the world (particularly in Asia) as Visa, so would be an issue using Starling, Monzo or Revolut.

The Clarity you mentioned is the Halifax Credit Card? If so they charge daily interest on cash withdrawals.

Are there no financial institutions that offer a free Visa Debit Card worldwide withdraw now n&p are closing?
    • mt99
    • By mt99 20th Jun 17, 3:45 PM
    • 334 Posts
    • 149 Thanks
    mt99
    • 20th Jun 17, 3:45 PM
    • 20th Jun 17, 3:45 PM
    a flex plus debit card allows you to withdraw cash abroad without any charges however this is a packaged account - albeit a good one - so may not be for you

however it does also allow you to apply for a select credit card which doesn't charge you anything for Purchases abroad
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 21st Jun 17, 3:48 AM
    • 2,686 Posts
    • 1,158 Thanks
    eDicky
    • 21st Jun 17, 3:48 AM
    • 21st Jun 17, 3:48 AM
    Unfortunately MasterCard debit cards arent as widely accepted at ATM's throughout the world (particularly in Asia) as Visa, so would be an issue using Starling, Monzo or Revolut.

The Clarity you mentioned is the Halifax Credit Card? If so they charge daily interest on cash withdrawals.

Are there no financial institutions that offer a free Visa Debit Card worldwide withdraw now n&p are closing?
    In some African countries Visa is accepted and not MasterCard, but in Asia I've never noticed any lack of acceptance, except in China where neither are generally useful.

The only remaining VISA card suitable for overseas is probably the Barclaycard Platinum travel card, which uniquely for a CC does not charge daily interest after a cash withdrawal. The Halifax Clarity does, but it's insignificant if you pay it off asap. The Virgin Money Essential account card (£1.50 overseas atm fee) has been VISA but they are changing to MasterCard.
    • catspyjamas21
    • By catspyjamas21 2nd Aug 17, 12:31 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    catspyjamas21
    Now that Virgin Money's debit card is MasterCard rather than Visa does this mean it will attract the slightly better rates?
    • jamie_02
    • By jamie_02 2nd Aug 17, 3:16 AM
    • 84 Posts
    • 48 Thanks
    jamie_02
    When I visited Ecuador I found Mastercard accepted at every ATM and Visa machines were as rare as hen's teeth. Was some years ago so may have changed, but there are countries where MC is more common.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

137Posts Today

1,332Users online

Martin's Twitter