Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • KBrown
    • By KBrown 17th Jun 17, 10:58 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    KBrown
    How much will I get paid?
    • 17th Jun 17, 10:58 AM
    How much will I get paid? 17th Jun 17 at 10:58 AM
    Hello. really need some help, would like to apply for a job that's term time only..

It says it's £8 an hour and I will be doing 6 hours a day, 4 days a week.

I have no idea how to work out how much I will get.

Thank you so much for your help
Page 1
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 17th Jun 17, 12:09 PM
    • 18,191 Posts
    • 13,877 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 17th Jun 17, 12:09 PM
    • 17th Jun 17, 12:09 PM
    £192 gross in the weeks that you are working and nothing when you're not, unless it's paid across the full year, in which case we'd need to know how many working weeks there are.

If you want to know take home pay you'll also need to tell us what your tax code is.
    • frugalmacdugal
    • By frugalmacdugal 17th Jun 17, 12:15 PM
    • 5,985 Posts
    • 5,162 Thanks
    frugalmacdugal
    • 17th Jun 17, 12:15 PM
    • 17th Jun 17, 12:15 PM
    Hi,

are you still at school?

8 £/hour x 6 hours a day x 4 days a week,

= 8x6x4 = £192.

Is this your first job?

You'll not have to pay any tax.
    Y'all take care now.
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 18th Jun 17, 5:25 PM
    • 1,048 Posts
    • 715 Thanks
    Tarambor
    • 18th Jun 17, 5:25 PM
    • 18th Jun 17, 5:25 PM
    Is this your first job?
    Originally posted by frugalmacdugal
    Might be their last if that's any demonstration of the level of numeracy and ability to think for oneself.
    • jobbingmusician
    • By jobbingmusician 18th Jun 17, 9:49 PM
    • 18,617 Posts
    • 18,874 Thanks
    jobbingmusician
    • 18th Jun 17, 9:49 PM
    • 18th Jun 17, 9:49 PM
    I will give the OP the benefit of the doubt - and I'd also like to point out to the people criticising numeracy that the OP mentioned they were paid term time only, and none of you except agrinnall have included this aspect in your answer. So it's not necessarily true that the OP is demonstrating innumeracy (whereas those answering so far, apart from agrinnall, are showing that they haven't read the question!)

I assume that the OP is looking for an annual figure. Sorry, KBrown, but we can't tell you that because we don't know how long the terms are.

However, if the job is at a state school, you may like to start with https://www.gov.uk/school-term-holiday-dates. I found that my local authority school terms add up to 37 weeks.

However, it's not even that simple! We then think about holidays, and it is at that point that I slightly threw my hands up, because there are so many variables, and it's not clear whether (for example) the OP is allowed to take holiday during term time, or whether holiday will be additional paid time. I read https://www.admin.ox.ac.uk/personnel/during/leave/holiday/calculation/term/ and concluded that whatever the OP's numerical fluency, neither they nor we could work out an annual salary from the information given!

I could, of course, be wrong.....
    I'm the Board Guide on the Matched Betting; Referrers and Jobseeking & Training boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

The good folk of the matched betting board are now (I hope!) supporting Macmillan, in memory of Fifigrace. Visit
    https://www.gofundme.com/running-the-leeds-10k-for-macmillan
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

466Posts Today

4,887Users online

Martin's Twitter