Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 17th Jun 17, 8:59 AM
    • 7,734Posts
    • 1,783Thanks
    50Twuncle
    Car dimensions
    • 17th Jun 17, 8:59 AM
    Car dimensions 17th Jun 17 at 8:59 AM
    Is there an on-line data base - showing car dimensions - particularly height of every new (and used ?) car available in the UK ?
Page 1
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 17th Jun 17, 9:08 AM
    • 18,413 Posts
    • 14,129 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 17th Jun 17, 9:08 AM
    • 17th Jun 17, 9:08 AM
    Yes, as a simple search easily found. For example:

http://www.automobiledimension.com/

or

http://www.parkers.co.uk/car-specs/
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 17th Jun 17, 2:45 PM
    • 25,679 Posts
    • 10,205 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 17th Jun 17, 2:45 PM
    • 17th Jun 17, 2:45 PM
    Height of the car doesnt mean the seat is fairly high off the gound though, if thats what you were thinking.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • Robisere
    • By Robisere 17th Jun 17, 5:15 PM
    • 1,729 Posts
    • 2,528 Thanks
    Robisere
    • 17th Jun 17, 5:15 PM
    • 17th Jun 17, 5:15 PM
    This is something that always occupies my mind when looking at next cars. I look online at various models, then tour the shortlist and choose the one that my wife and I can enter and exit with the least discomfort. I am talking about Motability here, as we are both disabled.

IMO, only actually road testing and getting in and out of a car, can give the real experience of what it will be like for day to day ownership.
    There may be more than one way to skin a cat.
    But the result is always inedible.

• Geoff1963
    • By Geoff1963 17th Jun 17, 6:19 PM
    • 1,063 Posts
    • 667 Thanks
    Geoff1963
    • 17th Jun 17, 6:19 PM
    • 17th Jun 17, 6:19 PM
    If height is the issue for e.g. a garage, sounds like it's there.
    If it is seat height you need, maybe that could be added.

Some top-end models have air-suspension, useful for creeping under barriers, if you remember.
    • almillar
    • By almillar 19th Jun 17, 2:05 PM
    • 7,016 Posts
    • 2,799 Thanks
    almillar
    • 19th Jun 17, 2:05 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 2:05 PM
    If this is for accessibility reasons the Motability website lists the seat base height (where your bum goes!) for most of the cars on the scheme - might be useful.
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 19th Jun 17, 3:21 PM
    • 7,734 Posts
    • 1,783 Thanks
    50Twuncle
    • 19th Jun 17, 3:21 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 3:21 PM
    If this is for accessibility reasons the Motability website lists the seat base height (where your bum goes!) for most of the cars on the scheme - might be useful.
    Originally posted by almillar
    Thanks - its not for accessibilty reasons - just that the driver feels more comfortable in a taller car !!
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 19th Jun 17, 7:49 PM
    • 1,148 Posts
    • 793 Thanks
    Tarambor
    • 19th Jun 17, 7:49 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 7:49 PM
    Thanks - its not for accessibilty reasons - just that the driver feels more comfortable in a taller car !!
    Originally posted by 50Twuncle
    If you want to play with their heads point out that higher car=higher centre of gravity=less stability on cornering and more likely to roll over with a fast change of direction.
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 19th Jun 17, 8:09 PM
    • 7,734 Posts
    • 1,783 Thanks
    50Twuncle
    • 19th Jun 17, 8:09 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 8:09 PM
    If you want to play with their heads point out that higher car=higher centre of gravity=less stability on cornering and more likely to roll over with a fast change of direction.
    Originally posted by Tarambor
    Good point - but she is in her 70's - so is no boy racer !!
    • Iceweasel
    • By Iceweasel 19th Jun 17, 8:19 PM
    • 4,191 Posts
    • 3,034 Thanks
    Iceweasel
    Good point - but she is in her 70's - so is no boy racer !!
    Originally posted by 50Twuncle
    Boy racer has little to do with it - swerve to avoid something/somebody in the road can be enough.
    • davemorton
    • By davemorton 20th Jun 17, 12:32 AM
    • 26,037 Posts
    • 303,783 Thanks
    davemorton
    Im a board guide on Pie Making Moneysaving. I'm a volunteer to help the pie production & consumption run smoothly. I can help merge tastes and fillings. Any pies made are mine & are not those of other Moneysavingexperts. Im a board guide not a qualified baker and as such do not make every type of pie. If you spot a quiche or flan please report it.
    • WobblyDog
    • By WobblyDog 20th Jun 17, 12:34 PM
    • 403 Posts
    • 260 Thanks
    WobblyDog
    I'm guessing that's some kind of demonstration of how stable double-deckers are. I've sometimes felt nervous on the top deck of one of those when the driver has been a bit enthusiastic, but I was worrying unnecessarily. The heavy mechanical bits are low down, so unless all the heavy passengers sit on top, it should be OK.

I've read that the motor industry use the H-point (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H-point) to measure how high the seating is in a car. I'd like to see a comparison table for that.
    Last edited by WobblyDog; 20-06-2017 at 12:39 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

177Posts Today

1,693Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin