Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • soolin
    • By soolin 17th Jun 17, 8:46 AM
    • 58,879Posts
    • 41,709Thanks
    soolin
    what to do
    • 17th Jun 17, 8:46 AM
    what to do 17th Jun 17 at 8:46 AM
    Having a slight crisis at home (long story short, long term house guest arrived to stay seriously ill yesterday meaning lots of medical attention urgently needed with me driving back and forth to hospital whilst trying to manage normal life) .

However, I had someone ask about cash on collection on one of my business items, sent a quick email with an offer through ebay saying that was fine, accept the offer which is item cost less postage, but don't pay and I'll have tem ready for collection. Buyer has accepted offer and paid (argghh) and then emailed to say hey will collect this morning and bring cash and to refund their paypal payment as it will probably be less for cash (remember they haven't paid any postage).

Obviously under the new rules (and remembering I already have a warning from New year about dealing off ebay in a similar situation) there is nothing I can do here is there? Frankly the item is under £20 so in the great scheme of things, and running on very little sleep I have said just collect it and forget about the cash (I have checked their address and it is local and the names all tally).

Yes I know the scam potential but in this stupid new ebay system being scammed seems a better deal than losing my business over a sub £20 item . My only issue is if the buyer thinks they will get a refund if they bring cash- but any attempt to refund the paypal payment is going to get me either a defect or a warning/suspension.

I don't trust my thinking at the moment, I probably should have turned ebay off while I'm dealing with everything else- but I didn't factor in getting a buyer who complicates things.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move posts there. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
Page 1
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 17th Jun 17, 9:47 AM
    • 10,598 Posts
    • 7,115 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    • 17th Jun 17, 9:47 AM
    • 17th Jun 17, 9:47 AM
    Sorry to hear about things at home. I hope it improves and quickly.

On the collection front. You are as you say, between a rock and a hard place.

If you cancel, you will no doubt get the 7 day ban. If you don't cancel you are likely to get an OOS defect.

In your position, I would probably leave it with the Paypal payment, unless the buyer is angling for a further discount?
    • Tealblue
    • By Tealblue 17th Jun 17, 10:26 AM
    • 586 Posts
    • 970 Thanks
    Tealblue
    • 17th Jun 17, 10:26 AM
    • 17th Jun 17, 10:26 AM
    Tell him to forget about the cash, let him collect and with luck all should be well. If he wants a discount for collection, just give him a small refund via Paypal to compensate for the fact you don't have to arrange delivery. Protecting yourself seems a much higher priority than anything else right now.
    • soolin
    • By soolin 17th Jun 17, 10:52 AM
    • 58,879 Posts
    • 41,709 Thanks
    soolin
    • 17th Jun 17, 10:52 AM
    • 17th Jun 17, 10:52 AM
    Thank you, I'm making silly mistakes here by dashing off emails and then doing all the A and E and emergency doctor stuff in too much of a hurry and have noticed a couple of silly mistakes I've made so far. I didn't want to get this wrong and wasn't sure if I had overlooked something.

Buyer is going to collect, I'll keep the paypal payment and hope she doesn't want any more discount, I had already accepted a lower offer to remove the postage and the paypal payment- frankly though it is a small issue when there is so much else going on, so if she pushes for any more refund I would probably refund a bit via paypal (which won't give me a defect) and take the loss.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move posts there. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • janb5
    • By janb5 17th Jun 17, 11:49 AM
    • 1,774 Posts
    • 6,338 Thanks
    janb5
    • 17th Jun 17, 11:49 AM
    • 17th Jun 17, 11:49 AM
    Soolin- could you refund via Friends and Family option so you dont lose costs. Just need their email?
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 17th Jun 17, 12:00 PM
    • 10,598 Posts
    • 7,115 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    • 17th Jun 17, 12:00 PM
    • 17th Jun 17, 12:00 PM
    Soolin- could you refund via Friends and Family option so you dont lose costs. Just need their email?
    Originally posted by janb5
    That would be a bad idea as the initial payment will still be for the full amount.

Leave it as it is. If they want a discount a refund on the original transaction will be fine particularly as it won't be big enough to trigger a defect.
    • soolin
    • By soolin 17th Jun 17, 12:21 PM
    • 58,879 Posts
    • 41,709 Thanks
    soolin
    • 17th Jun 17, 12:21 PM
    • 17th Jun 17, 12:21 PM
    Originally posted by janb5
    That would be the worst thing I could do wouldn't it?

I keep their initial paypal payment which means it is open to chargeback, but also send them another £17 via friends and family, so I stand to lose twice as much as I do currently.
    New to Forum? Guide
    • soolin
    • By soolin 17th Jun 17, 2:05 PM
    • 58,879 Posts
    • 41,709 Thanks
    soolin
    • 17th Jun 17, 2:05 PM
    • 17th Jun 17, 2:05 PM
    Just an update, my buyer was lovely - phoned me and asked if she could come round and turned up exactly when she said she would. Apologised for the confusion about PayPal and said she had wanted this widget for years and got a bit excited when she won it and just paid without thinking about it.

So all has turned out well.
    New to Forum? Guide
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,263Posts Today

7,904Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin