Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mikeyranson
    • By mikeyranson 17th Jun 17, 6:25 AM
    • 49Posts
    • 9Thanks
    mikeyranson
    mechanic takes my car for a joy ride with his mates
    • 17th Jun 17, 6:25 AM
    mechanic takes my car for a joy ride with his mates 17th Jun 17 at 6:25 AM
    Put my range rover into a local land rover dealership for service and a few other minor issues on tuesday this week and if ready, to pick up thursday. Gave authorisation for the car to be taken on test drive to help the technician diagnose any issues. When i collected the car, i had a look over it and found everything that was on the back seat was in the boot. I thought it was odd a i couldnt think why this would have been done as there is nothing in the back seat area that would hinder any service or anything as there is nothing there to do with the car's performance.
    Driving to work the following morning, my dash cam's memory became full which again i thought was odd as i formatted the disc before i took the car in. Curious, i viewed the dash cam and the mechanic, had taken my car home, picked up his girlfriend, picked up his mates and had an evening out with my car, getting involved with a possible fight in Brixton and caused a fight outside a hospital, both incidents all in front of the car and on camera. What was risky is that both fights could have ended up on the car causing damage. He parked up at 1230 at night in a back street in Brixton with some £4000 worth of tools inside the car. I left the tools in the car as i was assured when asked that the car is locked securely under 24 hour surveillance.
    I have contacted the garage who have already sacked the tech, and have been very apologetic. The senior director has called me to say that it will be investigated and they await my dash cam footage. They have also offered to refund me in full, nearly £3000 that i have paid so far for the work done on the car.
    I'm not greedy so i am fairly satisfied with the outcome but what about the tech who took my car and abused my car and trust. He used all back streets as short cuts and every street was full of speed humps and all were driven over at speed. Should i report him to the police. Should i do anything else or claim for anything else?
    what would you do?
Page 2
    • debtdebt
    • By debtdebt 17th Jun 17, 11:59 AM
    • 318 Posts
    • 199 Thanks
    debtdebt
    I'd look forward to seeing the dash cam footage posted online too as without it, I don't think this ever happened.

Why would the Land Rover garage dismiss the mechanic involved immediately without any proof or investigation and risk an employment tribunal. Again, why would the garage refund £3000 worth of work without seeing the video evidence either.
    • dacouch
    • By dacouch 17th Jun 17, 12:55 PM
    • 20,264 Posts
    • 12,510 Thanks
    dacouch
    Surely a mechanic wouldn't be stupid enough to leave the dash cam on?
    Originally posted by Hoof Hearted
    We have them in my work vehicles (Camera facing out and one trained on the driver).

You would be amazed what some of the drivers get upto as they forget about the cameras.

I'm guessing the dealership is based in Battersea
    • CardinalWolsey
    • By CardinalWolsey 17th Jun 17, 1:09 PM
    • 103 Posts
    • 90 Thanks
    CardinalWolsey
    Manager to technician "A customer has just phoned to complain that he has footage on his dashcam of his car being taken out for the night, carrying friends etc. You were the technician assigned the job. Is there anything you want to tell us?". Technician "Sorry guvnor, fair cop". Manager "You're fired".

Don't really need the video if the tech admits to it.
    • gerdo
    • By gerdo 17th Jun 17, 3:04 PM
    • 109 Posts
    • 83 Thanks
    gerdo
    I find it hard to believe that a landrover dealership would allow a mechanic to take a customer's car overnight.

I'd be furious just like the OP. If they are an authorised Landrover dealership, I'd report them to Landrover.(but after I got my £3000 back)
    • interstellaflyer
    • By interstellaflyer 17th Jun 17, 3:27 PM
    • 1,643 Posts
    • 967 Thanks
    interstellaflyer
    Personally I don't believe a word of it, however if true, more likely the employee was suspended pending investigation, I would find it highly unlikely an employer would sack someone in that type of situation without seeing the evidence fist.
    I hate football and do wish people wouldn't keep talking about it like it's the most important thing in the world
    • Aced2016
    • By Aced2016 17th Jun 17, 3:37 PM
    • 225 Posts
    • 442 Thanks
    Aced2016
    The guy was an absolute idiot ! But he's been sacked he will have no reference ! I feel he's paid the price of trying to look cool for a night.

The director has personally apologised to you, you have had £3000 work done for free. Your car is ok your £3000 better off.

I appreciate your car may be your pride and joy, so understand you anger. However please look at the bigger picture.

I think you should leave it there. You've not lost anything, your £3000 better off. On the other hand the silly man who did this is probably claiming JSA and could only dream of having a car like you. Please leave it alone it won't change the situation.
    Last edited by Aced2016; 17-06-2017 at 3:40 PM.
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 17th Jun 17, 4:04 PM
    • 730 Posts
    • 558 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    As stated already contact Police regarding reporting TWOC. Doesn't generate a crime report but does cover the OP if any reports are made about the technician using his car.
    Originally posted by wgl2014
    Given that it's a recordable crime it would.
    • wgl2014
    • By wgl2014 17th Jun 17, 4:26 PM
    • 358 Posts
    • 202 Thanks
    wgl2014
    Given that it's a recordable crime it would.
    Originally posted by AndyMc.....
    Check your definitions, recordable yes but notifiable no. Crimes are submitted for notifiable offences. The recordable bit refers to a conviction being recorded on the PNC.

Of course if it were agg TWOC that would be both recordable and notifiable. ��
    Last edited by wgl2014; 17-06-2017 at 4:26 PM. Reason: Clarity
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 17th Jun 17, 4:29 PM
    • 730 Posts
    • 558 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    Check your definitions, recordable yes but notifiable no. Crimes are submitted for notifiable offences. The recordable bit refers to a conviction being recorded on the PNC.

Of course if it were agg TWOC that would be both recordable and notifiable. ��
    Originally posted by wgl2014
    TWOC is both PNC recordable and needs a crime report.
    • wgl2014
    • By wgl2014 17th Jun 17, 4:36 PM
    • 358 Posts
    • 202 Thanks
    wgl2014
    Apols, brain fart.

TWOC as the taker of the vehicle is indeed notifiable. I was getting muddled with TWOC allowing to be carried which is just recordable.
    • CHR15
    • By CHR15 17th Jun 17, 4:49 PM
    • 4,821 Posts
    • 4,161 Thanks
    CHR15
    Perhaps OP needs help setting the dashcam up as this one doesn't appear to loop record.
    • Robisere
    • By Robisere 17th Jun 17, 5:09 PM
    • 1,838 Posts
    • 2,635 Thanks
    Robisere
    If this actually true, and the OP has the video proof, it is evidence. Showing it here on an open forum, will destroy any further action he may consider against the technician.

I can well believe that something like this can happen. During my own time in the trade, we employed several "mistakes" from first setting up business, until finding the right people. One would have sent out a Volvo without certain suspension parts, had I not checked his work. Another left steering in a dangerous condition, checked and corrected again by me.

But the worst was a guy who kept spare keys to a car awaiting work in the compund, went clubbing in it, got drunk and wrapped it around several cars, then street furniture.

There may actually be a case for this Land Rover technician, if he is not reported to the law. He could legally be sacked for this incident, but if not reported, he should have been given two Verbal Warnings and a Written, before this happened. (If it happened) Perhaps he has received previous Warnings, which would explain the speed of his dismissal.
    There may be more than one way to skin a cat.
    But the result is always inedible.

• bigadaj
    • By bigadaj 17th Jun 17, 5:48 PM
    • 10,673 Posts
    • 6,973 Thanks
    bigadaj
    If proven then this would come under gross misconduct and result in summary dismissal.

The problem seems to be that the evidence and process doesn't seem to have been followed in this instance, if indeed it is true and accurate.
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 17th Jun 17, 6:50 PM
    • 9,584 Posts
    • 10,745 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    It's possible that the garage concerned didn't actually need the dashcam footage that the OP has.

Maybe the garage has their own CCTV system and after receiving the complaint from the OP, decided to check this.
    If they had seen the mechanic concerned taking the vehicle out of their premises when they closed and not bringing it back until the next morning and this was prohibited by the company, this alone might have given them sufficient grounds to sack the employee.

It might also be the case that the employee concerned had a history of doing this and this report was the final straw for the garage owners.
    Last edited by shaun from Africa; 17-06-2017 at 7:03 PM. Reason: Typo error.
    • Noree
    • By Noree 17th Jun 17, 9:04 PM
    • 36 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    Noree
    Only covering the cost of the work is not sufficient. The tech has taken your car out of work hours and for a 'joy ride'. I'd be much inclined to go further on the matter.

One thing that really annoys me is when somebody disrespects your hard-earned property.
    • mikeyranson
    • By mikeyranson 17th Jun 17, 10:03 PM
    • 49 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    mikeyranson
    Thanks all.
    The tech may have admitted his crime so immediate sacking is then justified.
    I am satisfied with the 3 grand refund. It's the reporting to the ice I'm on the fence about.
    I would use the garage again as this incident was outside their control but you do learn from experience so a learning curve to them.
    This could be happening to a lot of other cars in the same garage so who knows what is going on. They all maybe at it.
    • ratrace
    • By ratrace 17th Jun 17, 10:32 PM
    • 464 Posts
    • 316 Thanks
    ratrace
    Thanks all.
    The tech may have admitted his crime so immediate sacking is then justified.
    I am satisfied with the 3 grand refund. It's the reporting to the ice I'm on the fence about.
    I would use the garage again as this incident was outside their control but you do learn from experience so a learning curve to them.
    This could be happening to a lot of other cars in the same garage so who knows what is going on. They all maybe at it.
    Originally posted by mikeyranson
    Or maybe not, this may have only been one bad apple
    People are caught up in an egotistic artificial rat race to display a false image to society. We want the biggest house, fanciest car, and we don't mind paying the sky high mortgage to put up that show. We sacrifice our biggest assets our health and time, We feel happy when we see people look up to us and see how successful we are”

Rat Race
    • George Michael
    • By George Michael 17th Jun 17, 11:31 PM
    • 2,883 Posts
    • 3,897 Thanks
    George Michael
    If it was me, I wouldn't hesitate about reporting it to the police.

As the incident only happened a few days ago, there may well be speeding offences or other motoring related offences in the pipeline.
    If one or more of these did arrive in the next week or so, you would be able to dispute them but doing so might well be easier if you could provide evidence that you had already reported that your vehicle was being used without your permission at the time.

After all, if the mechanic concerned wasn't worried about the legality of driving your car, I doubt if they would have been too worried about how they drove it, especially if they were showing off to their mates.
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 18th Jun 17, 8:22 AM
    • 10,229 Posts
    • 7,152 Thanks
    neilmcl
    If this actually true, and the OP has the video proof, it is evidence. Showing it here on an open forum, will destroy any further action he may consider against the technician.
    Originally posted by Robisere
    Evidence doesn't stop being evidence just because it's shown in public.
    • pelo
    • By pelo 18th Jun 17, 8:41 AM
    • 43 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    pelo
    If it was me, I wouldn't hesitate about reporting it to the police.

As the incident only happened a few days ago, there may well be speeding offences or other motoring related offences in the pipeline.
    If one or more of these did arrive in the next week or so, you would be able to dispute them but doing so might well be easier if you could provide evidence that you had already reported that your vehicle was being used without your permission at the time.

After all, if the mechanic concerned wasn't worried about the legality of driving your car, I doubt if they would have been too worried about how they drove it, especially if they were showing off to their mates.
    Originally posted by George Michael

Yeah,that's what I was trying to say. The report is already there, it definitely can't hurt and as for wasting police time, it probably takes 10 mins for them to make a note.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,765Posts Today

6,582Users online

Martin's Twitter