Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mikeyranson
    • By mikeyranson 17th Jun 17, 6:25 AM
    • 49Posts
    • 9Thanks
    mikeyranson
    mechanic takes my car for a joy ride with his mates
    • 17th Jun 17, 6:25 AM
    mechanic takes my car for a joy ride with his mates 17th Jun 17 at 6:25 AM
    Put my range rover into a local land rover dealership for service and a few other minor issues on tuesday this week and if ready, to pick up thursday. Gave authorisation for the car to be taken on test drive to help the technician diagnose any issues. When i collected the car, i had a look over it and found everything that was on the back seat was in the boot. I thought it was odd a i couldnt think why this would have been done as there is nothing in the back seat area that would hinder any service or anything as there is nothing there to do with the car's performance.
    Driving to work the following morning, my dash cam's memory became full which again i thought was odd as i formatted the disc before i took the car in. Curious, i viewed the dash cam and the mechanic, had taken my car home, picked up his girlfriend, picked up his mates and had an evening out with my car, getting involved with a possible fight in Brixton and caused a fight outside a hospital, both incidents all in front of the car and on camera. What was risky is that both fights could have ended up on the car causing damage. He parked up at 1230 at night in a back street in Brixton with some £4000 worth of tools inside the car. I left the tools in the car as i was assured when asked that the car is locked securely under 24 hour surveillance.
    I have contacted the garage who have already sacked the tech, and have been very apologetic. The senior director has called me to say that it will be investigated and they await my dash cam footage. They have also offered to refund me in full, nearly £3000 that i have paid so far for the work done on the car.
    I'm not greedy so i am fairly satisfied with the outcome but what about the tech who took my car and abused my car and trust. He used all back streets as short cuts and every street was full of speed humps and all were driven over at speed. Should i report him to the police. Should i do anything else or claim for anything else?
    what would you do?
Page 1
    • arcon5
    • By arcon5 17th Jun 17, 7:03 AM
    • 12,993 Posts
    • 8,223 Thanks
    arcon5
    • 17th Jun 17, 7:03 AM
    • 17th Jun 17, 7:03 AM
    They apologised, sacked the employee and giving you £3k refund... and you want more? You for real?
    • lush walrus
    • By lush walrus 17th Jun 17, 7:14 AM
    • 1,891 Posts
    • 1,563 Thanks
    lush walrus
    • 17th Jun 17, 7:14 AM
    • 17th Jun 17, 7:14 AM
    I would report to the police, its nearly a different matter to the garage.
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 17th Jun 17, 7:17 AM
    • 9,730 Posts
    • 6,755 Thanks
    neilmcl
    • 17th Jun 17, 7:17 AM
    • 17th Jun 17, 7:17 AM
    I have contacted the garage who have already sacked the tech, and have been very apologetic. The senior director has called me to say that it will be investigated and they await my dash cam footage. They have also offered to refund me in full, nearly £3000 that i have paid so far for the work done on the car.
    I'm not greedy so i am fairly satisfied with the outcome but what about the tech who took my car and abused my car and trust. He used all back streets as short cuts and every street was full of speed humps and all were driven over at speed. Should i report him to the police. Should i do anything else or claim for anything else?
    what would you do?
    Originally posted by mikeyranson
    So they have sacked their employee BEFORE investigating the matter, sounds a bit odd to me.

At then end of the day they've apologised, given you a refund and nothing has happened to your car. What more do you want?
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 17th Jun 17, 7:22 AM
    • 8,291 Posts
    • 12,564 Thanks
    worried jim
    • 17th Jun 17, 7:22 AM
    • 17th Jun 17, 7:22 AM
    Seems like a good result, £3k of work for free, I wouldn't bother with the police but I would think outside the box a little- most would never use the garage again but I would have said to the director that I want a discount/ free MOT etc next time I bring it to you and you will treat my car like it's the Queen's. You'll get the best service ever from them now on.
    "Only two things are infinite-the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe"
    Albert Einstein
    • frugalmacdugal
    • By frugalmacdugal 17th Jun 17, 7:33 AM
    • 5,921 Posts
    • 5,121 Thanks
    frugalmacdugal
    • 17th Jun 17, 7:33 AM
    • 17th Jun 17, 7:33 AM
    Hi,

take it to the top.

If they have a land Rover dealership, then contact Land Rover, you might get a discount voucher for your next purchase.
    Y'all take care now.
    • loskie
    • By loskie 17th Jun 17, 7:44 AM
    • 1,048 Posts
    • 633 Thanks
    loskie
    • 17th Jun 17, 7:44 AM
    • 17th Jun 17, 7:44 AM
    I would actually continue to use this dealer, it is unlikely to happen again and they have acted responsibly by resolving the issue with no hassle.
    From this incident you could actually build up a constructive and beneficial relationship.
    What I would do for peace of mind is check that the tech has not been re employed next time you use them.
    I think if you want more you are being mercenary.
    • Strider590
    • By Strider590 17th Jun 17, 7:52 AM
    • 11,304 Posts
    • 6,279 Thanks
    Strider590
    • 17th Jun 17, 7:52 AM
    • 17th Jun 17, 7:52 AM
    They're sorry........

They're sorry they got caught.

It shouldn't be possible for this to happen, therefore they must allow this sort of thing.
    Having the last word isn't the same as being right.......

"Never confuse education with intelligence"
    • Hoof Hearted
    • By Hoof Hearted 17th Jun 17, 8:10 AM
    • 1,933 Posts
    • 1,690 Thanks
    Hoof Hearted
    • 17th Jun 17, 8:10 AM
    • 17th Jun 17, 8:10 AM
    Surely a mechanic wouldn't be stupid enough to leave the dash cam on?
    Je suis sabot...
    • pelo
    • By pelo 17th Jun 17, 8:36 AM
    • 42 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    pelo
    If this is right then I'd definitely tell the police just as an information thing. It'd get the details on record with them just in case any speeding fines etc come through.
    Obviously keep the footage and all conversations with the garage so there is 100 percent no chance anything the mechanic did could be attributed to OP.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 17th Jun 17, 9:12 AM
    • 17,917 Posts
    • 13,587 Thanks
    agrinnall
    Originally posted by Hoof Hearted
    I'd agree with this, and it makes me doubt the entire story.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 17th Jun 17, 9:14 AM
    • 14,710 Posts
    • 13,078 Thanks
    AdrianC
    They apologised, sacked the employee and giving you £3k refund...
    Originally posted by arcon5
    ...and all before seeing the massively detailed wide-angle footage.

And gawd forbid a Range Rover should be able to cope with speed bumps.

You for real?
    Well, far be it from me to cast aspersions...
    • seatbeltnoob
    • By seatbeltnoob 17th Jun 17, 9:45 AM
    • 174 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    seatbeltnoob
    If this is right then I'd definitely tell the police just as an information thing. It'd get the details on record with them just in case any speeding fines etc come through.
    Obviously keep the footage and all conversations with the garage so there is 100 percent no chance anything the mechanic did could be attributed to OP.
    Originally posted by pelo
    NOT a police matter unless a crime was commited. Please dont waste their time.

If the fight was an actual fight and not just a verbal altercation then do report that as it is a crime.

£3k worth of work for free is pretty good compensation. I would be happy with that.
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 17th Jun 17, 9:49 AM
    • 15,108 Posts
    • 8,534 Thanks
    motorguy

If the fight was an actual fight and not just a verbal altercation then do report that as it is a crime.

£3k worth of work for free is pretty good compensation. I would be happy with that.
    Originally posted by seatbeltnoob
    +1

The police wont be interested unless a crime as committed.
    You are not special. You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake.
    • seatbeltnoob
    • By seatbeltnoob 17th Jun 17, 9:50 AM
    • 174 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    seatbeltnoob
    if its properly set up to record automatically and has no obvious indicator light that it is recording then sure.

if it was set up like that, then mechanic may have thought to leave it on and then delete the footage at the end of the free car hire because device will keep recording each and every time.

After weekend of driving the rover. monday comes and its time to go back to work. mechanic late for work so does everything in a hurry, forgets to reset the dashcam just after arriving at the delearship..
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 17th Jun 17, 9:52 AM
    • 15,108 Posts
    • 8,534 Thanks
    motorguy

I'm not greedy...

Should i report him to the police. Should i do anything else or claim for anything else?

what would you do?
    Have you thought about arranging for the mechanic to be poked with shitty sticks?

Joking aside - the dealership have put their hands up, admitted wrongdoing, dealt with it and refunded you £3,000. Whilst i am sure you are aggrieved this was down to one individual (and probably a process failure that allowed it to happen).
    Last edited by motorguy; 17-06-2017 at 9:56 AM.
    You are not special. You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake.
    • Car 54
    • By Car 54 17th Jun 17, 10:42 AM
    • 2,027 Posts
    • 1,282 Thanks
    Car 54
    Originally posted by seatbeltnoob
    The vehicle was taken without the owner's consent. That is a crime.
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 17th Jun 17, 10:44 AM
    • 817 Posts
    • 862 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    Curious, i viewed the dash cam and the mechanic, had taken my car home, picked up his girlfriend, picked up his mates and had an evening out with my car, getting involved with a possible fight in Brixton and caused a fight outside a hospital, both incidents all in front of the car and on camera. What was risky is that both fights could have ended up on the car causing damage.
    OP, please post the footage online. Sounds like good viewing!
    • Strider590
    • By Strider590 17th Jun 17, 10:46 AM
    • 11,304 Posts
    • 6,279 Thanks
    Strider590
    I'd agree with this, and it makes me doubt the entire story.
    Originally posted by agrinnall
    They don't employ mechanics, they employ young technicians on low wages and because it's a dirty job, they typically appeal to young lads who would otherwise be living on benefits. I doubt you'll find a proper mechanic in ANY car dealership.
    The theory from the suits point if view is that the diagnostics machine does away with needing expensive experienced mechanics.

There are plenty of videos out there showing dashcam footage of customer cars being taken for joyrides by dealership technicians.
    Having the last word isn't the same as being right.......

"Never confuse education with intelligence"
    • wgl2014
    • By wgl2014 17th Jun 17, 11:37 AM
    • 186 Posts
    • 96 Thanks
    wgl2014
    As stated already contact Police regarding reporting TWOC. Doesn't generate a crime report but does cover the OP if any reports are made about the technician using his car.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,833Posts Today

9,124Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin