Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Alicefisk1235
    • By Alicefisk1235 17th Jun 17, 4:46 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Alicefisk1235
    Badly damaged lease car!!
    • 17th Jun 17, 4:46 AM
    Badly damaged lease car!! 17th Jun 17 at 4:46 AM
    Hello!

So I have a VW POLO on lease and I recently scraped the passenger door side against a brick wall (DISASTER) !!
    It's caused a lot of damage, deep scrapes and dents and a scuff on my wing mirror. Completely my own fault, I know!
    This is my first year of having it so I'm not returning it any time soon however I need to know if I'd be able to get it fixed at a third party garage or whether I MUST take it to VW to get fixed. I know it will cost me ALOT to get fixed anyway but I know VW will probably charge me x3 as much as a third party garage will.

Would I get away with getting it fixed elsewhere without declaring it to VW? Or is this too risky

Thanks!!
Page 1
    • loskie
    • By loskie 17th Jun 17, 7:46 AM
    • 1,023 Posts
    • 624 Thanks
    loskie
    • 17th Jun 17, 7:46 AM
    • 17th Jun 17, 7:46 AM
    what does it say in your contract?
    If you are confident of a good repair elsewhere at a better price that's what I would do but would not broadcast it on the internet if it breached my contract.
    • chrisw
    • By chrisw 17th Jun 17, 8:38 AM
    • 1,557 Posts
    • 827 Thanks
    chrisw
    • 17th Jun 17, 8:38 AM
    • 17th Jun 17, 8:38 AM
    When you hand the car back, they will walk round it looking for any damage as you might if you were looking to buy a car.

A proper repair should be virtually impossible to detect visually. If the finish is poor with paint overspray they wouldn't be very happy, but it's unlikely they would notice if it's been done properly.

It could be very expensive, so it might be worth considering going through your insurance.
    • vikingaero
    • By vikingaero 17th Jun 17, 9:43 AM
    • 10,266 Posts
    • 12,952 Thanks
    vikingaero
    • 17th Jun 17, 9:43 AM
    • 17th Jun 17, 9:43 AM
    or whether I MUST take it to VW to get fixed.
    Originally posted by Alicefisk1235
    Very very few VW garages have bodyshops so the work will be subcontracted out to a third party. All that will happen is that the VW garage will add x% onto your bill.

You've got plenty of time so don't panic. Ask around for recommendations on decent bodyshops local to you.
    The man without a signature.
    • Mercdriver
    • By Mercdriver 17th Jun 17, 12:57 PM
    • 933 Posts
    • 614 Thanks
    Mercdriver
    • 17th Jun 17, 12:57 PM
    • 17th Jun 17, 12:57 PM
    Very very few VW garages have bodyshops so the work will be subcontracted out to a third party. All that will happen is that the VW garage will add x% onto your bill.

You've got plenty of time so don't panic. Ask around for recommendations on decent bodyshops local to you.
    Originally posted by vikingaero
    Find out which bodyshop the local VW dealer uses and get a direct quote from them.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,642Posts Today

8,067Users online

Martin's Twitter