Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • FurryBeastOz
    • By FurryBeastOz 17th Jun 17, 4:31 AM
    • 1,053Posts
    • 13,989Thanks
    FurryBeastOz
    O/S Daily Saturday 17th June 2017
    • 17th Jun 17, 4:31 AM
    O/S Daily Saturday 17th June 2017 17th Jun 17 at 4:31 AM
    O/S Daily Saturday 17th June 2017

This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

Morning everyone

Hugs to those that want/need one x

Happy birthday to those with a birthday x

Quick wave before I get on a plane for London. My parents wedding anniversary and we are haveing a family get together.

Thank you all for the good wishes. This weekend I am just going to try and forget all the nastiness and enjoy family. The weather is supposed to be lovely.

Have a lovely weekend everyone. I may or may not be popping in.
    Last edited by FurryBeastOz; 17-06-2017 at 4:34 AM.
    *** Debt Free***
    NST July - 3/15
    Goals - Weight loss 2.5/13lb from 1st Jul 17
    GC To 1/7/17 £1,857/£3,500, 53/58% of the year. Had to raise budget
Page 1
    • ancientofdays
    • By ancientofdays 17th Jun 17, 4:39 AM
    • 1,127 Posts
    • 12,474 Thanks
    ancientofdays
    • 17th Jun 17, 4:39 AM
    • 17th Jun 17, 4:39 AM
    Safe journey FBO and happy Saturday everyone.

I have some work to do later, at least will be doing it in a clean (ish) house.

Got up an hour ago as I woke as the birds started singing.
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
    • Gers
    • By Gers 17th Jun 17, 5:48 AM
    • 5,678 Posts
    • 32,750 Thanks
    Gers
    • 17th Jun 17, 5:48 AM
    • 17th Jun 17, 5:48 AM
    Good morning everyone.

Another early bird here although I won't be getting up just yet.

Art show last night was good, I had seen it all earlier in the day anyway so I mingled a bit and was home after an hour and in bed by eight. I watched the first episode of The Loch and last episode of NCIS before falling asleep.

Today is planed to be one of rest! I don't need to go out, there's no washing to be done and I've got my book to finish. Tomorrow I'm going down to Glasgow so that will be full on.

FBO - hope you really enjoy London and the get together.

Sir Billy Connolly- I salute you.

PC. Keith Palmer - I salute you too.

Despite the persistent rain here I wish everyone a happy Saturday.
    • Hard Up Hester
    • By Hard Up Hester 17th Jun 17, 6:30 AM
    • 3,022 Posts
    • 35,666 Thanks
    Hard Up Hester
    • 17th Jun 17, 6:30 AM
    • 17th Jun 17, 6:30 AM
    Morning all

Thanks for the thread FBO, I'll take my boots off for now!

Sunny here it looks like it could be another scorcher, I will sit in front and hand sew once my other jobs are done.

My tenant still hasn't exchanged so her mum has paid the deposit and will pay the rent for the next few months until it is sorted.

I feel sorry for her, house selling is a nightmare, but I was getting to the stage where I couldn't wait much longer as I need the income from the house to live on when I retire in October & I need to build up a buffer too.

Have a great day everyone.
    Hugs Hester
    Chin up, Titus out.
    • silver-oldie
    • By silver-oldie 17th Jun 17, 6:54 AM
    • 163 Posts
    • 1,606 Thanks
    silver-oldie
    • 17th Jun 17, 6:54 AM
    • 17th Jun 17, 6:54 AM
    Good morning
    Thanks for the thread FBO, have a safe journey.

Still early but already hot. Need to do housework and garden but too hot in the day and too exhausted in the evening.

Bought a John Lewis / Waitrose gift card yesterday from Morrisons. Extra Morrisons points worth £5, part paid on my bank card 5% cashback worth £1.50.
    So £50 card for £43.50 and I have a £6 off £30 spend coupon for Waitrose, and a free coffee when I'm shopping, so pleased with myself.

Hope you all have a good day
    If you walk at night no-one will see you cry.
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 17th Jun 17, 7:00 AM
    • 755 Posts
    • 6,086 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    • 17th Jun 17, 7:00 AM
    • 17th Jun 17, 7:00 AM
    Morning everyone,

Thank you for starting us off FurryBeastOz

Hugs to those that are unwell or having a difficult time at the moment.

The forecast for today is good, so I hope that we get some nice sunny weather.

My cousin and his wife arrived as planned and are installed in a local hotel for a few days before they go down to London to visit some friends there. We had a lovely evening yesterday. My brother and his family came over and we all went out for a drink. We ended up back at the hotel they are staying at and we finally left there about 2.00am this morning. I’m getting too old for these early mornings,

Today we are going to visit a few places that my cousin and his wife like around here and then going out for a meal.

When my cousin leaves England they are going to a few places in Europe until the beginning of August and then they would like us all to go away for a long weekend if possible to Guernsey. Our fathers’ were from Guernsey and we haven’t been back as a group since 1994, when we went with my parents and my aunt and uncle as well. So if we can fit it around my brother’s numerous holidays this summer it will be great.

Time to go and get another cup of tea and some breakfast.

I hope that you all have a good day whatever you are doing.
    • ScarletRibbons
    • By ScarletRibbons 17th Jun 17, 7:25 AM
    • 81 Posts
    • 573 Thanks
    ScarletRibbons
    • 17th Jun 17, 7:25 AM
    • 17th Jun 17, 7:25 AM
    Good Morning everyone.
    Thanks for starting off FBO, and hope you have a great weekend.
    It's fine and warm here, it's set to be a lovely day. Yesterday went as planned, and I've got a bit of a list for today. The fridge needs tidying - don't know how it gets in such a state, there are only two of us, we must be a messy pair.
    Booked a few days away in the caravan from tomorrow till Thursday, so I'm looking forward to that. We're only going 1.5 hours away, but hey, it's a change! I know the weather won't stay this good till Thursday, but it doesn't matter, we'll find stuff to do.
    There's a bit of shopping to do, but don't need much. I've got a choice of 3 supermarkets within easy reach - hope the excitement of choosing which one to go to isn't too much for me.
    Have a good Saturday everyone.
    • tru
    • By tru 17th Jun 17, 7:31 AM
    • 8,527 Posts
    • 42,393 Thanks
    tru
    • 17th Jun 17, 7:31 AM
    • 17th Jun 17, 7:31 AM
    Morning

My legs are in recovery I dug out my old copy of Rosemary Conley's Inch Loss Plan and decided to follow the daily exercises. Not the diet – I refuse to give up chocolate. The exercises feel nice and gentle over 28 days but they really pull you into shape. I knew my legs were going to ache, I've been limping on and off for ages and the muscles really need stretching and strengthening. Day one – great. Day two – woke up slightly achy, by lunchtime the back of my legs were killing me and it really hurt just getting up and down off a chair I took the day off then repeated day one on the third and fourth days. Today I progress to day two, lol.

I eat my main meal at lunchtime, I'm not very hungry in the evenings and I was picking at rubbish. I've started eating a big bowl of fruit salad at 7pm-ish instead, I feel so much better. Though I usually have a kit-kat afterwards

So far, the garden has produced one skinny carrot and one big strawberry.

I was fed up a couple of days ago so I jumped in the shower late afternoon, got dressed and took myself off to the pub. Had a few bacardis and was very happy

Dad had his PICC line put in on monday and started treatment on wednesday. They attached a small pump to the thing in his arm, the pump controls the flow of drugs going in. Two days later the district nurse pops round and removes the pump. He has to repeat that every fortnight for a while. He was expecting to feel a bit nauseous and tired but he's feeling fine.

Scampi has been very calm lately (apart from when we see the nice lady in her wheelchair – he's fine with her if she's stood in her front garden but he hates those wheels with a passion, lol), I've left the back open door and he wanders in and out without any stress. Even just a few weeks ago, I had to go out with him to prevent the manic barking when neighbours do evil things, like open their bedroom windows or chat in their gardens. It's almost like having a normal dog

Bulletproof
    • TravellingAbuela
    • By TravellingAbuela 17th Jun 17, 7:33 AM
    • 3,534 Posts
    • 20,414 Thanks
    TravellingAbuela
    • 17th Jun 17, 7:33 AM
    • 17th Jun 17, 7:33 AM
    Morning folks and thanks for the early start FBO. Enjoy your time with your family.

It feels very warm but no sun yet! I might try and get a bit of ironing done before the promised intense heat arrives. I try and keep on top of the ironing pile but the 2 washer loads dried yesterday has made it erupt like Vesuvius. It will be done in dribs and drabs over the w/e.

All is quiet here at the moment and I am enjoying a second coffee in peace. No DGD's here and Mr TA is still asleep.

I got a bit carried away yesterday and made a big pan of Red Pepper & Cream cheese soup (my favourite) and a big pan of Pea and Ham (Mr TA's favourite!) and froze in individual portions last night. The tubs are currently shoved here, there and everywhere in both freezers, wherever a small space, so I must organise them a bit better today.

Have a good day all, not much is planned here in this heat. Jobs can wait. (HUGS) for the poorlies, sad or worried who want them. Take care xx
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
    • karcher
    • By karcher 17th Jun 17, 8:02 AM
    • 1,207 Posts
    • 10,071 Thanks
    karcher
    TA Freezer re-arranging sounds like a good plan on a hot day , ironing however, does not

FBO i really hope you have a lovely weekend and can put your worries out of your mind for a few days. Have fun...I love London

Morning

Off to work for a few hours in a minute and no plans to do anything when I return. I really didn't want to get up this morning so will just chill this afternoon.

Hope you all have a great day and take care
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 17th Jun 17, 8:42 AM
    • 12,023 Posts
    • 33,747 Thanks
    Nelski
    Good Morning lovelies

FBO Have a lovely day in London you have chosen a good day weather wise Enjoy your family and a beautiful city

Tru Hope your dads treatment goes well. Scampi is far too well behaved now although it does make me smile that he doesn't like the wheelchair you must be really embarrassed when he starts lol

Looks like I have managed to sell the car but they wont be able to pick it up for 3 weeks due to a holiday. Not bothered as at least I know its sold but would love to have got rid. Battery will be completely flat by then but they have bought as told (they havent seen it yet but know me so bought on trust)

Going round today to pick up mail and take her out for food not really looking forward to it as she was in a very nippy mood yesterday telling me my fishcakes were awful I had some myself so I can vouch for the fact they weren't. She can be a harsh woman at times....she used to be be really snappy with Dad and it seems I have just filled his boots .....not for much longer though sympathy has its limits

Need to strip the Costco chicken today and think I will chuck it in a curry and then freeze a few portions. Had some of it last night with chips and peas and it was just gorgeous not sure why but their chickens taste so much better than Asdas

Asda arriving in an hour with my stocks for the week I know I could shop at Morrisons same time as mum but it would just be too stressful and would have to explain all that alcohol

Looks like its going to be a lovely day today so I need to get up there get lunched and get back as quick as possible then I can get in my garden with my book ...I can feel another few chapters of the book club coming on ...check me out

Have a lovely day whatever you are up to
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 17th Jun 17, 9:04 AM
    • 1,443 Posts
    • 16,904 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Morning everyone,

Thanks for the thread FBO, enjoy your time with family.

Sunny here and already 22c, was up before 7 and in the shop by half past to make the most of the coolest part of the day. We have both DSS's coming over tomorrow and I needed a few extra bits to see us through, it was lovely and quiet with loads of YS bargains so worth the trip.
    No other plans for the day, will knock up a quick Victoria sponge as they both love cake, other than that it will be sitting under the parasol reading and probably snoozing as well

Have a good day folks x
    • redruby
    • By redruby 17th Jun 17, 9:26 AM
    • 6,392 Posts
    • 88,312 Thanks
    redruby
    Morning all

Lovely bright day here and already scorching hot I have a load in the wm and anoher two to do should all dry well on the line today.

We re supposed to be going to look for cars for dd today but she came in a bit worse for wear last night so Im not sure we will be going, I do have to nip to the shop for dog food and washing detergent (forgot them last week)

its open gardens in the village this weekend so we might go for a wander round this afternoon they are doing cream teas at the village hall and we have to go past the pub on the way home so win win

Not sure about dinner tonight but I will tey and not put the oven on, maybe bbq in the garden ?

Tomorrow we will have a long walk through the woods to a tiny cafe and may have lunch out, Evie can pick herself a doggie ice cream for her birthday

Have good days all xx
    • camelot1001
    • By camelot1001 17th Jun 17, 9:32 AM
    • 3,421 Posts
    • 39,274 Thanks
    camelot1001
    Morning All

I've just slept for 11 hours, not sure if I feel better for it or not!

Bedding in the WM, it's not raining at the moment but not cold so hopefully the breeze will get it dry. I've sorted a cupboard that was a complete mess, been meaning to do that since the kitchen went in at Christmas!

Have a good time FBO.

Hope you all have a good weekend. Take care. XX
    • elona
    • By elona 17th Jun 17, 12:01 PM
    • 11,042 Posts
    • 57,823 Thanks
    elona
    nelski

Evil so and so that I am. I would be ordering some of these lovely brochures from W***sh*** foods and also their rivals. Once a certain person finds out how much their "lovely" fishcakes cost there might be a change in attitude. I worked it out as £4 for a main meal, seven meals a week £28- fourteen meals £56 and adding seven puddings at around £1.30 would take it up to around £65 a week. Let her put that in her pipe and smoke it! I am really cross on your behalf as I know how it feels when you are chasing round like a mad dog after its own tail and get shouted at or insulted for your pains.

Lovely day so dug out a dress and nice sandals and have a hair appointment for around 12.15. I look like a sheepdog!

Youngest has had her first car delivered to her by her sister and BIL on Thursday and they gave her a practice run with them before they left. She phoned this morning and let slip she was looking for a sat nav . I nagged, er persuaded her to let me send her the money so she could get a good one. She also has an interview for a better job in about ten days after her holiday. Let's hope things are finally looking up after a horrible few years for us all.

I want to look respectable for a hospital appointment on Tuesday and not eccentric. Bit worried that I still get breathless but trying to be sensible.

Eventually have found a cleaner who will come round on Thursday and help me sort things properly as the building work etc has covered the place with dust. My filter bag for the hoover was so bad I had to throw it away and order a new one. I have just been struggling to fit in and replace the bag as well and can't screw the lid back

TA

Pea and ham was DH's favourite too. It did not matter if I made it with a proper ham shank and dried peas or cut corners with a stock cube - he still scoffed it happlly.

Hugs to all
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
    • csarina2
    • By csarina2 17th Jun 17, 12:43 PM
    • 1,612 Posts
    • 14,645 Thanks
    csarina2
    Morning ((((((((((hugs))))))))))) if you need one.

Late up this morning so chasing my tail, need to do the Friday clean as we were out all day yesterday, OH sat on his BTM in the sun, I was annoyed as I had asked him to hoover the carpet in the sitting room......so a few words on the 'shutting himself off' subject. He has just had a bacon sarnie, he is bowling this afternoon.

Its very warm, the sun has moved off the sitting room, so its fairly cool, need to decide if I am going to cut the binding for the tree skirt or sit and read........may be the latter.

We have been picking strawberries for 15 days, OH worked out we have picked over 15lbs from 24 plants, not bad going. I have 2lbs in the freezer, will make a couple of jars of jam with them.

Yesterdays shopping trip was only partly successful. I got a dress and shrug for 'the wedding' we met DGD in the shopping centre, she had been to Mr T's. The sprayer I was after was out of stock in both Wilkinson and Argos. I have ordered one from Wilko's, will have to go into melton to collect it.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 17th Jun 17, 1:13 PM
    • 2,037 Posts
    • 13,846 Thanks
    caronc
    Good afternoon everyone, thanks to FBO for starting the thread (I hope you have a fab time in London) and hugs to anyone that needs one.

I woke to leaden skies this morning so decided to just have a lazy start, the sun's out now and it's pleasantly warm though not hot by any definition. I'll do some more planting later but apart from that I've no plans.

Hope everyone has a great day x
    April GC £150/£160, May GC £150/£150, June GC £117/£120, July £185/£170, August £89/£120
    • silver-oldie
    • By silver-oldie 17th Jun 17, 1:37 PM
    • 163 Posts
    • 1,606 Thanks
    silver-oldie
    Going round today to pick up mail and take her out for food not really looking forward to it as she was in a very nippy mood yesterday telling me my fishcakes were awful I had some myself so I can vouch for the fact they weren't. She can be a harsh woman at times....she used to be be really snappy with Dad and it seems I have just filled his boots .....not for much longer though sympathy has its limits
    Originally posted by Nelski
    As elona has already said I'm also cross on your behalf.
    My Mother is never grateful for anything I do, but DB can do no wrong, probably because he doesn't do anything.
    If you walk at night no-one will see you cry.
    • nannywindow
    • By nannywindow 17th Jun 17, 2:05 PM
    • 283 Posts
    • 3,381 Thanks
    nannywindow
    Afternoon all
    Had a disturbed sleep last night with DH snoring and having a 20min conversation with someone in his sleep. It was an extremely hot night so all the windows were open and unfortunately some woman was weaving her way up the road at 1.30am. ( don't know where she had come from as there are no pubs around here ) Not only was she talking loudly on the phone to someone called David but she had the clip clop of her very high heels echoing too and then a big crash as she fell off the pavement . ( she got up eventually after a struggle with her handbag and she seemed ok ). At 5am was awakened with someones cockerel crowing, and again at 7am by a singing delivery man for over the road neighbours. Wouldn't have been so bad but said neighbours weren't up to answer the door, so much banging and shouting ensued until they opened it . ( Will be happy when it cools down enough to be able to sleep with the window closed again ) This used to be such a nice quiet neighbourhood ( sigh ) but when the older neighbours passed away, young couples/families moved in and they seem to be confrontational / argumentative towards each other .
    Sorry that turned into a rant but a very hot and tired nan, is cranky, big time.
    Nevertheless it is a glorious day but I'm glad that there is a lovely breeze, so we have been in the garden this morning cutting back some shrubs / overhanging trees at the end of the garden. Luckily that part of the garden was in the shade. Also did two loads in the WM, thought we could last till the new one arrives, tut, who was I kidding !
    DH and I have showered, eaten a snack lunch and we are sat indoors in our shorts,like a pair of bookends and it's not a pretty sight I can tell you .
    Tea tonight will be a chicken stir fry followed by the rest of the strawberries and cream. May even do some ironing if it cools down later as I'm running out of T. shirts.
    FBO relax and enjoy your time away in London
    Nelski your mum and my dad sound very similar.
    Off to get a drink and a cake, shh don't tell DH, he's fallen asleep and the cakes are all mine I tell you, MINE !!!
    Sorry it must be this sun, it's sending me bonkers !
    Enjoy the rest of the day everyone.
    • karcher
    • By karcher 17th Jun 17, 2:06 PM
    • 1,207 Posts
    • 10,071 Thanks
    karcher

Originally posted by Nelski
    Nelski I've bolded the bit which stands out to me and I absolutely agree. You can only forgive and put up with so much. Yes your mum is grieving but so are you and to me it is no excuse for being rude about the food you have made for her

Lets face it, if a friend had called with some HM meals for her to help her out at a difficult time, would she have made the same rude (sorry to be blunt) comment to them about their food?

You wouldn't accept that rudeness from anyone else and in my opinion, you should't have to accept it from family either. You are doing your best to help her and giving her your time and support, perhaps she'd think twice about saying such things if you explained why you won't be helping out any more.

A few years ago I did exactly that with my own Mother, I didn't need the upset she was causing me, so I calmly told her a few home truths and as a result we didn't speak for many months, but it did work and things have changed since..(although we are far from close, but we never were).

Take care my lovely. When you get home enjoy reading your book in the garden and treat yourself to a large glass of wine as reward for your endeavours this morning xx
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,976Posts Today

8,059Users online

Martin's Twitter