Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • bluehydrangeas
    • By bluehydrangeas 17th Jun 17, 2:36 AM
    • 24Posts
    • 11Thanks
    bluehydrangeas
    Is it a good idea to keep account-related letters?
    • 17th Jun 17, 2:36 AM
    Is it a good idea to keep account-related letters? 17th Jun 17 at 2:36 AM
    I have a plethora of letters from various banks with whom I have opened current accounts in recent months. A lot of these are welcome letters for new customers and letters advertising other products from those banks. There are no physical statements as I am paperless on every account. Is it worth keeping any of the letters? What do people on MSE do with such correspondence?
Page 1
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 17th Jun 17, 7:03 AM
    • 6,706 Posts
    • 8,240 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    • 17th Jun 17, 7:03 AM
    • 17th Jun 17, 7:03 AM
    As they effectively supplement terms and conditions, I'd recommend keeping them all.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 17th Jun 17, 9:01 AM
    • 18,150 Posts
    • 13,849 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 17th Jun 17, 9:01 AM
    • 17th Jun 17, 9:01 AM
    I only keep the ones that are directly relevant to the operation of the account that I have opened, all the offers and irrelevant stuff goes in the recycling (Nationwide and Barclaycard are particularly bad).
    • meer53
    • By meer53 17th Jun 17, 9:08 AM
    • 8,785 Posts
    • 12,758 Thanks
    meer53
    • 17th Jun 17, 9:08 AM
    • 17th Jun 17, 9:08 AM
    Shred them.
    • Gers
    • By Gers 17th Jun 17, 9:55 AM
    • 5,685 Posts
    • 32,817 Thanks
    Gers
    • 17th Jun 17, 9:55 AM
    • 17th Jun 17, 9:55 AM
    I've scanned whatever I consider important and then shredded the originals. Any / all marketing stuff goes for recycling.
    • datlex
    • By datlex 17th Jun 17, 10:54 AM
    • 1,294 Posts
    • 1,080 Thanks
    datlex
    • 17th Jun 17, 10:54 AM
    • 17th Jun 17, 10:54 AM
    Depending on your bank they will have stored a copy you can access.
    • EachPenny
    • By EachPenny 17th Jun 17, 11:50 AM
    • 1,679 Posts
    • 2,037 Thanks
    EachPenny
    • 17th Jun 17, 11:50 AM
    • 17th Jun 17, 11:50 AM
    Depending on your bank they will have stored a copy you can access.
    Originally posted by datlex
    I wouldn't rely on this, especially for documents relating to Terms and Conditions and account opening.

I would keep originals of anything sent to me in the post by the bank, and save local electronic copies of any documents viewed or generated during account opening. How long you keep them for depends on personal tastes. The T&C's form part of a contract you are entering into - relying on the other party to the contract retaining and providing you with a copy of the contract you've agreed to, at some point in the future, is unwise.

There is a recent example of a bank which launched a new account, but all obvious traces of the T&C's for the account have since vanished from the website. They are still there if you look for them, but some of the documents are no longer the same as the originals. People who downloaded and retained copies of the original versions will be in a better position to dispute any issues relating to the T&C's which may arise.

Obviously if you don't see any chance of having a dispute with the bank(s) you've opened accounts with then there is no need to keep anything.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,299Posts Today

7,717Users online

Martin's Twitter