Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dekaspace
    • By dekaspace 17th Jun 17, 12:59 AM
    • 3,154Posts
    • 2,443Thanks
    dekaspace
    Making broths and lentil soups, some hints wanted
    • 17th Jun 17, 12:59 AM
    Making broths and lentil soups, some hints wanted 17th Jun 17 at 12:59 AM
    Bought a massive broth mix at Asda and a normal sized lentil mix.

I don't want anything too hard to make, chopping up veg seems awkward enough.

I do have a lot of sausages I can add to make it meaty.
Page 1
    • Anne_Marie
    • By Anne_Marie 17th Jun 17, 3:29 AM
    • 2,081 Posts
    • 3,435 Thanks
    Anne_Marie
    • 17th Jun 17, 3:29 AM
    • 17th Jun 17, 3:29 AM
    I've gotten quite lazy in my old age, by not chopping the veg in soups into fine dice or grating. Put large chunks in, then when the soup is ready, whizz with the hand blender....makes life a whole lot easier.

I rarely do broth, but use lentils a lot in soups, to give added protein. Can't really give you a proper recipe, as I use whatever veg I have, and never measure anything, few handfuls of lentils, veg stock, some herbs such as oregano and a bit of garlic.
    A quick tomato one is tin or two of tomatoes, or home roasted tomatoes, two or 3 roasted peppers, home made or from a jar, 1 onion, carrot if I have any and some lentils, stock, garlic, oregano or basil. Add a bit of chilli if you like. When veg and lentils cooked, blitz with hand blender. Add some cream when serving if you fancy.
    • rosie383
    • By rosie383 17th Jun 17, 9:40 AM
    • 4,629 Posts
    • 10,307 Thanks
    rosie383
    • 17th Jun 17, 9:40 AM
    • 17th Jun 17, 9:40 AM
    As it is Ramadan, we tend to have soup each day to break our fast. I've started using my pressure cooker if it's a soup that I want to blend. So much cheaper as it literally takes maybe 10 minutes to get it all cooked til its soft enough to blend smoothly.

It's my new thing for making soup rather than having a pot on for ages.
    Father Ted: Now concentrate this time, Dougal. These
    (he points to some plastic cows on the table) are very small; those (pointing at some cows out of the window) are far away...
    • comeandgo
    • By comeandgo 17th Jun 17, 10:13 AM
    • 1,716 Posts
    • 2,293 Thanks
    comeandgo
    • 17th Jun 17, 10:13 AM
    • 17th Jun 17, 10:13 AM
    When my children were little I would buy frozen carrots and turnips already diced from farm foods. They were not expensive and saved a bit of time. I make lentil soup using ham stock cubes, lentils and carrots and an onion. In winter I may add some curry powder.
    With broth mix, again stock cube, carrot, turnip, leek.
    Just put all in pan , bring to boil, lower heat to gentle simmer and cook for an hour or so, until hard items soft.
    • dekaspace
    • By dekaspace 17th Jun 17, 2:14 PM
    • 3,154 Posts
    • 2,443 Thanks
    dekaspace
    • 17th Jun 17, 2:14 PM
    • 17th Jun 17, 2:14 PM
    I don't mind chopping up veg, its more I don't want to heat meat, chop it up then add it than anything unless its something simple like sausages (which are also cheap too even though I use butchers ones)

I do have curry poweder, paprika, chilli powder, black pepper in cupboard I can add too and veg, ham, and beef stock cubes.
    • Cupcake Returns
    • By Cupcake Returns 17th Jun 17, 3:21 PM
    • 81 Posts
    • 258 Thanks
    Cupcake Returns
    • 17th Jun 17, 3:21 PM
    • 17th Jun 17, 3:21 PM
    Dice an onion, carrot, bit of celery if you have it. Soften in a dash of oil in a large pan. Stir in spice of choice, I like cumin and coriander, and cook for a minute more. Stir in lentils, add a tin of tomatoes and a pint of ham or chicken stock. Bring to boil and simmer till lentils are soft. Blend till smooth. Return to pan to reheat and season to taste

Can't tell you what weight of lentils as I just go by eye, depending on size of pan etc.
    • Cupcake Returns
    • By Cupcake Returns 17th Jun 17, 9:25 PM
    • 81 Posts
    • 258 Thanks
    Cupcake Returns
    • 17th Jun 17, 9:25 PM
    • 17th Jun 17, 9:25 PM
    Wondering is dekaspace actually returns to his threads to give thanks or to say what's worked or not?
    • dekaspace
    • By dekaspace 17th Jun 17, 11:03 PM
    • 3,154 Posts
    • 2,443 Thanks
    dekaspace
    • 17th Jun 17, 11:03 PM
    • 17th Jun 17, 11:03 PM
    Wondering is dekaspace actually returns to his threads to give thanks or to say what's worked or not?
    Originally posted by Cupcake Returns
    I normally say thanks directly rather than the thanks button, and I normally wait until a threads run its course, its just out of habit really as most websites don't have a "thanks" button.

That and often I may wait weeks or more before I get around to setting things in motion and start a seperate thread about something else and mention it in there.

Just habit really.
    • JIL
    • By JIL 18th Jun 17, 12:39 AM
    • 2,678 Posts
    • 18,307 Thanks
    JIL
    • 18th Jun 17, 12:39 AM
    • 18th Jun 17, 12:39 AM
    Is it just soup you want to make? There's loads of other things you can do with lentils and the bean mix.
    A simple lentil soup can be made with Knorr ham stock cubes, lentils and your choice of veg.
    A lentil bake is easy to do. You could make a chilli with the beans.
    Do you need to soak the beans mix overnight?
    What about a cassoulet if you want to use the sausages?

You can buy ready chopped veg in Aldi and it's cheaper than other shops but it doesn't take long to chop a few carrots, onion and celery.
    Last edited by JIL; 18-06-2017 at 12:46 AM.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 18th Jun 17, 5:43 AM
    • 22,944 Posts
    • 47,812 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    I normally say thanks directly rather than the thanks button, and I normally wait until a threads run its course, its just out of habit really as most websites don't have a "thanks" button.

That and often I may wait weeks or more before I get around to setting things in motion and start a seperate thread about something else and mention it in there.

Just habit really.
    Originally posted by dekaspace
    If someone has taken the time to type in genuine advice, then reciprocate in kind. Try hitting the thanks button as you read the advice, if the post warrants it. It takes a fraction of a second and is simply good manners
    • Cupcake Returns
    • By Cupcake Returns 18th Jun 17, 12:27 PM
    • 81 Posts
    • 258 Thanks
    Cupcake Returns

Just habit really.
    Not to labour a point, I also replied and gave you advice on cooking chips, quite detailed advice, not a word of thanks there either

Checking back on any of your threads, a lot of posters have given you a lot of help and advice, not a single thanks given
    • dekaspace
    • By dekaspace 18th Jun 17, 4:39 PM
    • 3,154 Posts
    • 2,443 Thanks
    dekaspace
    Not to labour a point, I also replied and gave you advice on cooking chips, quite detailed advice, not a word of thanks there either

Checking back on any of your threads, a lot of posters have given you a lot of help and advice, not a single thanks given
    Originally posted by Cupcake Returns
    If someone has taken the time to type in genuine advice, then reciprocate in kind. Try hitting the thanks button as you read the advice, if the post warrants it. It takes a fraction of a second and is simply good manners
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse
    Its just habit nothing else, I do forget to thank I admit at end often but I never got the point of the thumbs up thing very much as it seemed more like having a lot of thumbs up gave someone authority over another so felt like giving them often.but the main reason is finding the end point of a thread, I never know if it will get one reply, five replies or ten replies so hard to give verbal thanks.

But bear in mind I am autistic, and in case anyone asks no thats not to give an excuse but I see it as I prefer to say "thanks" as a final word than individually else it overwhelms me!
    • arbrighton
    • By arbrighton 18th Jun 17, 7:20 PM
    • 1,934 Posts
    • 1,789 Thanks
    arbrighton
    It really is just good manners to thank anyone who reads your thread and gives a helpful, considered response, taking their own time to do so
    • dekaspace
    • By dekaspace 18th Jun 17, 7:30 PM
    • 3,154 Posts
    • 2,443 Thanks
    dekaspace
    It really is just good manners to thank anyone who reads your thread and gives a helpful, considered response, taking their own time to do so
    Originally posted by arbrighton
    I will know for the future, but do you know muchmental health and autism? Do you not think I had other things on my mind? Me asking for advice on things is part of my recovery and it didn't even cross my mind, it does feel somewhat upsetting that an assumption has been made.

But yes it really did just begin with an intention to make a mass thanks when thread had ended which slipped mind a few times in past.
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 18th Jun 17, 9:18 PM
    • 2,826 Posts
    • 35,617 Thanks
    monnagran
    Don't worry about it dekaspace. Yes, it is good manners to thank someone who has spent time and care to help you but I have an autistic grandson and realise very well that what is normal for me is not necessarily normal for you.
    I am not autistic, in fact I am a reasonably socially adept professional woman and if I'm honest I never think about that little "thanks" button. If I need to thank someone and think it appropriate, I write a short "thank you" post.
    It never occurs to me to check my own "thank you"s so I really wouldn't know if I've been thanked or not. Life is too short.

You are making a jolly good job of living independently and I have total respect for that.
    Don't stop asking for help, I for one, will give it when I can.

x
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • JIL
    • By JIL 18th Jun 17, 10:41 PM
    • 2,678 Posts
    • 18,307 Thanks
    JIL
    Tonight even though it's so very hot I made sweet potato, lentil and coconut soup. Really easy and with some bread that will be lunches at work.
    It was an onion, carrot and two sweet potatoes, peeled and roughly chopped. Gently fryed/ saut!d in a little oil, then added half a teaspoon of each of chilli powder, garlic, turmeric, cumin, coriander and ginger. Then a cup of lentils and litre of water and a sock cube. Simmered gently for half an hour then I added a small sachet of creamed coconut. Blitzed it with the blender. Tada.

The use of the thanks button or not really does not bother me either way. I actually get a lot more out of this site than I put in, so helping others if I can is a way of giving back.
    • carriebradshaw
    • By carriebradshaw 18th Jun 17, 11:49 PM
    • 1,286 Posts
    • 3,414 Thanks
    carriebradshaw
    I like to make a big pot of smoked bacon and lentil soup with carrots,leeks,kale onions and stock, everything roughly chopped then either simmered on the stovetop or in the slow cooker, I blitz it with my handblender afterwards then freeze in portions ,very tasty and satisfying,but not much effort, perfect.
    • arbrighton
    • By arbrighton 19th Jun 17, 8:40 AM
    • 1,934 Posts
    • 1,789 Thanks
    arbrighton
    I will know for the future, but do you know muchmental health and autism? Do you not think I had other things on my mind? Me asking for advice on things is part of my recovery and it didn't even cross my mind, it does feel somewhat upsetting that an assumption has been made.

But yes it really did just begin with an intention to make a mass thanks when thread had ended which slipped mind a few times in past.
    Yes, I do. I have worked very closely with several students with ASD conditions. And come into contact/ been close friends with many people with a variety of mental health conditions, never mind my own issues with depression.
    Last edited by arbrighton; 19-06-2017 at 8:42 AM.
    • dekaspace
    • By dekaspace 19th Jun 17, 12:37 PM
    • 3,154 Posts
    • 2,443 Thanks
    dekaspace
    Yes, I do. I have worked very closely with several students with ASD conditions. And come into contact/ been close friends with many people with a variety of mental health conditions, never mind my own issues with depression.
    Originally posted by arbrighton
    Then you should realise theres not a one size fits all way to do things, I am trying to word that in such a way that doesn't come across as judging and it was meant for not just yourself it was meant for everyone to take a look at and think maybe other things were on my mind.

Anyway with give a basic thanks now to people until thread has run its course..
    • SamsReturn
    • By SamsReturn 20th Jun 17, 12:40 PM
    • 745 Posts
    • 1,387 Thanks
    SamsReturn
    I usually get my frozen veg from Heron where it's 2 bags for £1.
    Start off with a base of dried soup mix and pearl barley, once that's cooked add a bag of veg, tin of tomatoes and some onions. All left in the SC then whizzed and portioned into the freezer.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

336Posts Today

2,164Users online

Martin's Twitter