Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • theblackwidow74
    • By theblackwidow74 17th Jun 17, 12:34 AM
    • 12Posts
    • 3Thanks
    theblackwidow74
    House left in Mothers will
    • 17th Jun 17, 12:34 AM
    House left in Mothers will 17th Jun 17 at 12:34 AM
    I am still having to live in my Mum's house after she died this year.
    In her Will it states The estate is to be divided between three sisters. Fare enough.

However although i have my own house i am not able to return there at the moment because there is no gas or electricity to the building.
    My sisters are saying i am refusing to move out from my mothers and they are going to start possession proceedings at my expense.

Can they do this this even though i am NOT refusing to move out, far from it. I can't wait to go home after being away for about two years caring for my Mum. But just asking for some time to get the gas and electric turned back on once the dispute with E.ON has be sorted.

How do i stand now i own 1/3 of the house?

Yes i have the worse sisters in the world!!!
Page 1
    • gycraig
    • By gycraig 17th Jun 17, 12:43 AM
    • 357 Posts
    • 257 Thanks
    gycraig
    • 17th Jun 17, 12:43 AM
    • 17th Jun 17, 12:43 AM
    What is the dispute over ? If my mum died I'd just want the house sold I wouldn't want to be liable for it because my brother had chosen not to pay a bill in his house or whatever the dispute is over.
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 17th Jun 17, 12:48 AM
    • 22,415 Posts
    • 12,926 Thanks
    xylophone
    • 17th Jun 17, 12:48 AM
    • 17th Jun 17, 12:48 AM
    You don't have to live in your late mother's house.

Even if you can't or don't want to return to your own property, once your mother's house is sold, you can use your share of the proceeds to rent a place while you carry on with your dispute with EON - indeed, having to use your cash to pay the rent may give you an incentive to settle matters as quickly as possible.

Why should the other beneficiaries have to await your convenience?
    • goodwithsaving
    • By goodwithsaving 17th Jun 17, 12:57 AM
    • 552 Posts
    • 805 Thanks
    goodwithsaving
    • 17th Jun 17, 12:57 AM
    • 17th Jun 17, 12:57 AM
    You don't have the worst sisters in the world. They probably want this over and done with partly because a) it isn't nice selling your parents home and b) they are due what is rightfully theirs.

As you have been carer, I understand you may well be grieving after the intensity of the past couple of years.

However unfortunately this is a process that has to be done. How can they know you have an estimated move out day? Have you provided one? Your problem with eon is yours, not theirs.

I'd look into getting the eon issue resolved asap and seek to go through probate as quickly and painlessly as possible. I'd be doing the same as your sisters,
    Last edited by goodwithsaving; 17-06-2017 at 1:00 AM.
    Every time you borrow money, you’re robbing your future self. –Nathan W. Morris
    • G_M
    • By G_M 17th Jun 17, 12:58 AM
    • 40,610 Posts
    • 46,471 Thanks
    G_M
    • 17th Jun 17, 12:58 AM
    • 17th Jun 17, 12:58 AM
    Sorry to hear your mum died this year. To answer your questions fully we need more information:

* How long ago did she die?
    * who is/are the Executers of the will?
    * Is there any inheritance tax to pay?
    * If so, is there enough other money in the Estate (apart from the house) to pay it?
    * has it been paid?
    * Has Probate been granted? When? To whom (one or more Executer may have chosen to reserve their powers)?
    * Who is maintaining your mum's house (insurance, utilities etc)?

although i have my own house i am not able to return there....

My sisters are saying i am refusing to move out from my mothers and they are going to start possession proceedings at my expense.

.... i am NOT refusing to move out, .
    Well, if they've asked/told you to move out, and you are not moving out, then clearly they are right - you are refusing to move out!

The reasons for your refusal (ie your E.on dispute) are irrelevant (though one might hope family would be a little understanding) so far as the rights/wrongs of the management of the Estate are concerned.
    Last edited by G_M; 17-06-2017 at 1:37 AM.
    • deannatrois
    • By deannatrois 17th Jun 17, 1:11 AM
    • 4,683 Posts
    • 6,622 Thanks
    deannatrois
    • 17th Jun 17, 1:11 AM
    • 17th Jun 17, 1:11 AM
    Have you posted on the energy board for advice re your dispute with EON? http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13

Or gone to the CAB, or OFGEM https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/consumers/household-gas-and-electricity-guide/complain-about-your-gas-or-electricity-bill-or-supplier

I hope this helps. It sounds like you need some resolution with your family as well as EON after a rather tough couple of years Perhaps it would help to focus on this if you can.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 17th Jun 17, 8:56 AM
    • 18,176 Posts
    • 13,868 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 17th Jun 17, 8:56 AM
    • 17th Jun 17, 8:56 AM
    How long are you expecting it to take to get the electricity and gas restored at your house? Can you not get a supplier other than E.ON to provide it? I can't believe it's going to take anywhere near as long as it will take to prepare a house for sale, let alone actually sell it.
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 17th Jun 17, 9:58 AM
    • 29,488 Posts
    • 17,625 Thanks
    getmore4less
    • 17th Jun 17, 9:58 AM
    • 17th Jun 17, 9:58 AM
    stop delaying let the executors do their job of dealing with the estate

get the house ready for sale and marketed

how much rent are you paying for the other 2/3

if the sale completion does not fit with your schedules that is your problem not theirs(executors, other beneficiaries and buyers).

There should be no reason the sale and you sorting your place out cannot run in parallel
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 17th Jun 17, 12:52 PM
    • 8,040 Posts
    • 4,802 Thanks
    teddysmum
    • 17th Jun 17, 12:52 PM
    • 17th Jun 17, 12:52 PM
    You could stay in the house while it's for sale , possibly being there to show people round. It is very unlikely to sell and be sorted in a few days.

If the problem with the provider is that you haven't paid bills, then the siblings cannot be expected to lose out , but if it's over something else, why are you not pushing the matter ?

As above, try posting for help on energy section of the forum.
    • BrassicWoman
    • By BrassicWoman 17th Jun 17, 12:55 PM
    • 1,238 Posts
    • 5,189 Thanks
    BrassicWoman
    ask sisters to pay arrears, document this is to be deducted from your share, move home and sell the house?
    Downsized and mortgage free
    August 17 grocery challenge £89.07/£100
  • E.ON Company Representative: Malc
    E.ON Dispute?
    I am still having to live in my Mum's house after she died this year.
    In her Will it states The estate is to be divided between three sisters. Fare enough.

However although i have my own house i am not able to return there at the moment because there is no gas or electricity to the building.

Can they do this this even though i am NOT refusing to move out, far from it. I can't wait to go home after being away for about two years caring for my Mum. But just asking for some time to get the gas and electric turned back on once the dispute with E.ON has be sorted.

How do i stand now i own 1/3 of the house?

Yes i have the worse sisters in the world!!!
    Originally posted by theblackwidow74
    Hello theblackwidow74 and I'm sorry about the sad loss of your mother.

Can I ask what the dispute with us is about? Has the electricity and gas been disconnected or have we fitted prepayment meters? Is there an outstanding complaint about this?

If you let me have some more details, I'll be happy to try to help or at least point you in the right direction.

Malc
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

725Posts Today

8,232Users online

Martin's Twitter