Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Doody
    • By Doody 16th Jun 17, 10:49 PM
    • 57Posts
    • 122Thanks
    Doody
    Help with furniture hack for bathroom littler tray area?
    • 16th Jun 17, 10:49 PM
    Help with furniture hack for bathroom littler tray area? 16th Jun 17 at 10:49 PM
    Hi,

we have a small bathroom with a littler tray under the sink. You can see it, it smells and I'd like to do something to make the area nicer.

My ideal would be a floor standing cabinet with a counter top sink. I want a drawer or two underneath, then a two door cupboard so we could remove one door. The litter tray would be in there, the cats would have easy access (and us for cleaning) but it wouldn't be quite so 'in your face' for our guests.

Can I find the unit I want to modify? Nooooooo. it's a lot harder than I thought. I particularly don't want a vanity unit type arrangement that has the sink unit covering the whole of the top of the unit as the space it would go into is quite tight and I can see water spilling down the sides and generally being hard to look after.

Has anyone any ideas about the furniture I am looking for?

Edit: Obviously a *litter* tray hack but I can't edit the title
Page 1
    • GwylimT
    • By GwylimT 16th Jun 17, 10:51 PM
    • 5,693 Posts
    • 10,594 Thanks
    GwylimT
    • 16th Jun 17, 10:51 PM
    • 16th Jun 17, 10:51 PM
    No I don't, but a litter tray shouldn't smell, ours certainly doesn't. Is it a main bathroom, so the litter is getting damp?
    • KxMx
    • By KxMx 16th Jun 17, 11:05 PM
    • 7,010 Posts
    • 9,705 Thanks
    KxMx
    • 16th Jun 17, 11:05 PM
    • 16th Jun 17, 11:05 PM
    If you can't find a ready made unit to adapt, how about hiring a tradesman to design, build & fit?
    • Doody
    • By Doody 16th Jun 17, 11:07 PM
    • 57 Posts
    • 122 Thanks
    Doody
    • 16th Jun 17, 11:07 PM
    • 16th Jun 17, 11:07 PM
    Well, we have several cats and even though we have two trays and a garden, yes, it smells. It's open and a poo in there smells until a human slave goes and removes it. We have tried many different substances for the contents of the tray and currently I'm enthusiastic about the wooden pellets but they have a retain a bit of a wee smell. I hadn't thought about damp but tbh, every house I've been in that has a litter tray has a bit of an odour. Even in one cat families with enclosed trays.
    • Doody
    • By Doody 16th Jun 17, 11:09 PM
    • 57 Posts
    • 122 Thanks
    Doody
    • 16th Jun 17, 11:09 PM
    • 16th Jun 17, 11:09 PM
    If you can't find a ready made unit to adapt, how about hiring a tradesman to design, build & fit?
    Originally posted by KxMx
    LOL, 'cos I can't afford it!
    • GwylimT
    • By GwylimT 16th Jun 17, 11:17 PM
    • 5,693 Posts
    • 10,594 Thanks
    GwylimT
    • 16th Jun 17, 11:17 PM
    • 16th Jun 17, 11:17 PM
    Well, we have several cats and even though we have two trays and a garden, yes, it smells. It's open and a poo in there smells until a human slave goes and removes it. We have tried many different substances for the contents of the tray and currently I'm enthusiastic about the wooden pellets but they have a retain a bit of a wee smell. I hadn't thought about damp but tbh, every house I've been in that has a litter tray has a bit of an odour. Even in one cat families with enclosed trays.
    Originally posted by Doody
    What do they eat? Diet causes smelly poo, our cat is raw fed and honesty you have to get within inches of her poo to get even the slightest whiff. If you're using a proper pellet filter tray there also wont be a wee smell.

http://m.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/cat_beds_baskets/cat_house/indoor/608661

You can put this under the sink, I'm assuming you don't have a pedestal?
    • Trina90
    • By Trina90 17th Jun 17, 8:14 AM
    • 89 Posts
    • 121 Thanks
    Trina90
    • 17th Jun 17, 8:14 AM
    • 17th Jun 17, 8:14 AM
    I love how people say a litter tray shouldn't smell.

I'd be worried if it didn't - where on earth is the cat peeing and pooping instead!
    Of course they smell. Not constantly, but as soon as the cat does a wee in a newly cleaned tray (and obviously poo!), it will smell. I've tried all kinds of litters and cleaning out patterns (even daily, or multiple times a day). Those of you who deny litter trays smell, you've simply just got used to the smell. Your guests still detect it. My husband always says he can't smell anything but I must have a better sense of smell
    Mortgage started 2015: 150,000
    Currently: 130,000
    • Trina90
    • By Trina90 17th Jun 17, 8:16 AM
    • 89 Posts
    • 121 Thanks
    Trina90
    • 17th Jun 17, 8:16 AM
    • 17th Jun 17, 8:16 AM
    And I have the sieve tray that filters the wood pellets by the way!
    Mortgage started 2015: 150,000
    Currently: 130,000
    • GwylimT
    • By GwylimT 17th Jun 17, 8:17 AM
    • 5,693 Posts
    • 10,594 Thanks
    GwylimT
    • 17th Jun 17, 8:17 AM
    • 17th Jun 17, 8:17 AM
    I love how people say a litter tray shouldn't smell.

I'd be worried if it didn't - where on earth is the cat peeing and pooping instead!
    Of course they smell. Not constantly, but as soon as the cat does a wee in a newly cleaned tray (and obviously poo!), it will smell. I've tried all kinds of litters and cleaning out patterns (even daily, or multiple times a day). Those of you who deny litter trays smell, you've simply just got used to the smell. Your guests still detect it. My husband always says he can't smell anything but I must have a better sense of smell
    Originally posted by Trina90
    They don't smell on the correct diet for the individual, our sitter and cattery we use often comment on how nice it is for a box not to smell as the animal has a diet that suits it well. She used to be on dry food, and that did make her urine smell (as it makes them dehydrated) and her poo was smelly, and of course she would always pick her moment to drop one!
    • thorsoak
    • By thorsoak 17th Jun 17, 9:20 AM
    • 5,396 Posts
    • 24,614 Thanks
    thorsoak
    Every time I change the litter completely, I scatter a whole (baking) pack of bicarbonate of soda into it. It doesn't stop it from being a trifle whiffy, but it does stop it from ponging completely! Obviously poops are removed asap (if not by me, by one of the dogs - yeugh!!) and the litter is changed every couple of days. My (covered) litter tray is kept in the utility room - and the cat flap is on the door from the kitchen into the utility room - so that the cats can get through easily enough, but the dogs can't.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,173Posts Today

7,216Users online

Martin's Twitter