Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • theoofoof
    • By theoofoof 16th Jun 17, 9:39 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 1Thanks
    theoofoof
    Interest question purchases and balance transefer
    • 16th Jun 17, 9:39 PM
    Interest question purchases and balance transefer 16th Jun 17 at 9:39 PM
    Hi - can someone clarify something for me.

I have a 0% balance transfer of £1000 on and then purchases of £500 which are paid off (in full every month). Just noticed that Halifax are charging me interest on my purchases, because they're saying that, despite me paying the purchases off every month, I am not paying the card off in full.

They said that as long as there is an outstanding balance on the card, even if that balance is 0%, the purchases will still be charged interest.

Is this right?
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 16th Jun 17, 9:51 PM
    • 13,218 Posts
    • 13,527 Thanks
    zx81
    • 16th Jun 17, 9:51 PM
    • 16th Jun 17, 9:51 PM
    That's correct.
    • theoofoof
    • By theoofoof 16th Jun 17, 9:55 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    theoofoof
    • 16th Jun 17, 9:55 PM
    • 16th Jun 17, 9:55 PM
    Thanks. I will be sorting that out then.

Seems a bit cheeky to me because if there was no balance transfer and I paid off my purchases every month or if I had a balance transfer on it's own I would pay no interest at all. Or I could have two separate cards with the same bank and not get charged. But because they're both on the same card they can charge. Harsh.

Oh well. Lesson learned.
    • zx81
    • By zx81 16th Jun 17, 9:58 PM
    • 13,218 Posts
    • 13,527 Thanks
    zx81
    • 16th Jun 17, 9:58 PM
    • 16th Jun 17, 9:58 PM
    The general rule is to never spend on a BT card. Use a different card for purchases.
    • theoofoof
    • By theoofoof 16th Jun 17, 10:05 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    theoofoof
    • 16th Jun 17, 10:05 PM
    • 16th Jun 17, 10:05 PM
    A rule I shall be abiding by from now on.
    • Dobbibill
    • By Dobbibill 16th Jun 17, 10:08 PM
    • 2,296 Posts
    • 3,419 Thanks
    Dobbibill
    • 16th Jun 17, 10:08 PM
    • 16th Jun 17, 10:08 PM
    yeh, they are right.

The golden rule is 'pay off your BALANCE in full to have the up to 56 days interest free on purchases'.

While there is a BT on the card this is not paying the balance in full.

As you say - lesson learned.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Energy, Student Money Saving, UK Armed Forces and
    Local Money Saving - Wales boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

A person who never made a mistake, never tried anything new.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,608Posts Today

7,609Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @KCMurdarasi: @MartinSLewis Only 2 fluently, but I can struggle by in another 5 or so. And ask the way to the toilet in about 10 - you d?

• Today's twitter poll: How many languages do you speak (inc Eng) with reasonable fluency (eg can have decent phone chat solely in that lang)

• RT @iiSteveJonesii: @MartinSLewis After watching you talk this morning about me burning £300 I got on a comparison site tonight & sure enou?

• Follow Martin