Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • nightsky224
    • By nightsky224 16th Jun 17, 8:55 PM
    • 807Posts
    • 539Thanks
    nightsky224
    Electric certificate.... we don't have one
    • 16th Jun 17, 8:55 PM
    Electric certificate.... we don't have one 16th Jun 17 at 8:55 PM
    We had some work done in our lounge a couple of years back, new plastering, flooring and more. As part of that we had the old wall lights removed and new ones fitted. They added an additional light where we didn't have one before, fitted new lights and switches.

We are now selling our property and I have seen that we may need a certificate for the work, any one know if that's true as we don't have one.

The relationship with the builders ended badly so it's not something I can ask them sadly.
    Recently married and loving it x
Page 1
    • J B
    • By J B 16th Jun 17, 9:06 PM
    • 2,282 Posts
    • 728 Thanks
    J B
    • 16th Jun 17, 9:06 PM
    • 16th Jun 17, 9:06 PM
    We are just going through something like this only purchasers solicitors have asked for a NICEIC (?) as they have found one during one of their 'searches'.
    However, as we didn't have any electrical work done at the time stated, I suspect that they are 'searching' in the wrong place!!!

Anyway, if the work was done by an approved contractor, then his 'trade body' will have the details.
    However, it the work wasn't done by an approved contractor then ............... maybe it's best to keep quiet ............ what work, nope not here guvnor!!
    • thescouselander
    • By thescouselander 16th Jun 17, 10:59 PM
    • 5,217 Posts
    • 4,718 Thanks
    thescouselander
    • 16th Jun 17, 10:59 PM
    • 16th Jun 17, 10:59 PM
    This sort of thing seems pointless to me. Even it the electrical installation was given a certificate originally that doesn't guarantee it will still be safe now. Also what about the rest of the property? The best advice to the buyer would be to have everything checked themselves. Other than that I expect your solicitor will want to flog you some sort of indemnity policy to cover any potential problems.

Seems like a bit of a money making scheme to IMO.
    • Strider590
    • By Strider590 17th Jun 17, 10:55 AM
    • 11,552 Posts
    • 6,465 Thanks
    Strider590
    • 17th Jun 17, 10:55 AM
    • 17th Jun 17, 10:55 AM
    It's easy, if you need certification (I'm assuming this is really about "Part P"), you call a sparky, he inspects the installation and certifies it (obviously not for free).
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
    • EssexExile
    • By EssexExile 17th Jun 17, 11:07 AM
    • 2,336 Posts
    • 1,555 Thanks
    EssexExile
    • 17th Jun 17, 11:07 AM
    • 17th Jun 17, 11:07 AM
    Tell them you haven't got a certificate. Is the sale of a house going to fall through because of a few wall lights?
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
    • Johnhowell
    • By Johnhowell 17th Jun 17, 8:03 PM
    • 602 Posts
    • 269 Thanks
    Johnhowell
    • 17th Jun 17, 8:03 PM
    • 17th Jun 17, 8:03 PM
    On the questionnaire from your solicitor state no notifiable work was done on the property - therefore no certificate will have to be provided...
    • Annie1960
    • By Annie1960 18th Jun 17, 5:24 PM
    • 2,669 Posts
    • 1,492 Thanks
    Annie1960
    • 18th Jun 17, 5:24 PM
    • 18th Jun 17, 5:24 PM
    Tell them you haven't got a certificate. Is the sale of a house going to fall through because of a few wall lights?
    Originally posted by EssexExile
    Unfortunately, this is exactly what can happen.

When I was moving house a couple of years ago, two chains fell through because of lack of building control paperwork.

That's the twenty first century for you.

As others have said, you can get another electrician to inspect and issue a certificate. Make sure it's not just any old electrician, as some have very low levels of qualification where they cannot sign off such certificates.

Find an electrician here:

http://www.electricalsafetyfirst.org.uk/find-an-electrician/
    • nightsky224
    • By nightsky224 2nd Jul 17, 11:21 PM
    • 807 Posts
    • 539 Thanks
    nightsky224
    • 2nd Jul 17, 11:21 PM
    • 2nd Jul 17, 11:21 PM
    Just to update people we have told them that we do t have it and explained the work we had etc.... haven't heard back from them yet, fingers crossed!
    Recently married and loving it x
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,322Posts Today

9,195Users online

Martin's Twitter