Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Smb3088
    • By Smb3088 16th Jun 17, 8:10 PM
    • 214Posts
    • 23Thanks
    Smb3088
    Contacting the other sides Solicitors?
    • 16th Jun 17, 8:10 PM
    Contacting the other sides Solicitors? 16th Jun 17 at 8:10 PM
    I'm nearing the exchange/completion stage of my sale. The solicitors of my buyer has agreed on the drafted contract and I just posted my transfer deed back to my solicitors, allowing them the position to be able to exchange contracts. We are literally tieing up the loose ends. Both me and my buyer were agreed that the 23/06 would be a good date to complete on. But this week I just got asked by my solicitors to pay for the leasehold pack to be released to them. To clarify its only the ground rent lease pack, not the management companies. Therefore I trust the information will be clear and easy to peruse. Fortunately my buyer is my neighbour. Therefore I'm optimistic enquiries will be minimal.

But I wonder if there'd be any conflict or dangers of me writing to my buyers solicitors to ask them if my own Conveyancers are communicating with delay and adding time onto the process. I'm too far ahead to switch lawyers now, but wow they've been horrendous in replies and relaying responses.
    Is it worth asking my buyers solicitor their opinion to find out if my solicitors are delaying through poor communication times ? Reason being I have a complaint brewing and their evidence and view would sit strongly on my complaint post completion ?

Am I allowed to make contact for this sole question?
Page 1
    • societys child
    • By societys child 16th Jun 17, 8:18 PM
    • 4,895 Posts
    • 5,348 Thanks
    societys child
    • 16th Jun 17, 8:18 PM
    • 16th Jun 17, 8:18 PM
    No, contact your own solicitor.

• Cheeky_Monkey
    • By Cheeky_Monkey 16th Jun 17, 8:47 PM
    • 1,432 Posts
    • 2,849 Thanks
    Cheeky_Monkey
    • 16th Jun 17, 8:47 PM
    • 16th Jun 17, 8:47 PM
    Don't waste your time. Your letter will probably go straight in the bin.
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 16th Jun 17, 9:51 PM
    • 56,265 Posts
    • 49,631 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    • 16th Jun 17, 9:51 PM
    • 16th Jun 17, 9:51 PM
    Is it worth asking my buyers solicitor their opinion to find out if my solicitors are delaying through poor communication times ? Reason being I have a complaint brewing and their evidence and view would sit strongly on my complaint post completion ?
    Originally posted by Smb3088
    Your buyers solicitors act for and on the instructions of the buyer. They owe you no care of duty. The matter is purely between you and your solicitor.
    “Opportunities come infrequently. When it rains gold, put out the bucket, not the thimble”
    ― Warren Buffett
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 16th Jun 17, 11:14 PM
    • 23,717 Posts
    • 89,708 Thanks
    Davesnave
    • 16th Jun 17, 11:14 PM
    • 16th Jun 17, 11:14 PM
    If you want to complain about your own solicitor, use their complaints procedure, or if still dissatisfied, complain about them to the Law Society.

The Law Society doesn't allow complaints about other people's solicitors. For similar reasons, your intended request to your vendor's solicitor would fall on very deaf ears indeed.
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
    • G_M
    • By G_M 17th Jun 17, 12:41 AM
    • 42,362 Posts
    • 49,222 Thanks
    G_M
    • 17th Jun 17, 12:41 AM
    • 17th Jun 17, 12:41 AM
    The other side's solcitor will not respond to you. You have no legal relationship with them.
    • martindow
    • By martindow 17th Jun 17, 11:13 AM
    • 7,303 Posts
    • 4,086 Thanks
    martindow
    • 17th Jun 17, 11:13 AM
    • 17th Jun 17, 11:13 AM
    It would be worth talking to the selling agents. Unlike solicitors, they are able to talk to both sides. Make them earn their money by reassuring and trying to resolve any problems or delays. They will not be paid if a sale breaks down and will be eager to help!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,370Posts Today

8,036Users online

Martin's Twitter