Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • trickydicky14
    • By trickydicky14 16th Jun 17, 7:20 PM
    • 131Posts
    • 16Thanks
    trickydicky14
    Stamp duty rates
    • 16th Jun 17, 7:20 PM
    Stamp duty rates 16th Jun 17 at 7:20 PM
    My situation is this,
    I own a property value around £220,000 which I currently live in, I have also just inherited a property valued at around £175,000 which will be rented out for the foreseeable future.
    My question is this, If I sell my main residence and purchase a new home for around £300,000 will the stamp duty on the new house be at the higher rate because I have the inherited property as well.
Page 1
    • p00hsticks
    • By p00hsticks 16th Jun 17, 7:22 PM
    • 5,591 Posts
    • 5,136 Thanks
    p00hsticks
    • 16th Jun 17, 7:22 PM
    No - if you are replacing your main residence the additional SDLT doesn't apply.
    • kingstreet
    • By kingstreet 16th Jun 17, 7:22 PM
    • 31,938 Posts
    • 17,070 Thanks
    kingstreet
    No.

You currently own two properties and after completion of the purchase of your new main residence you will still own two properties.

Surcharge doesn't apply.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
    • trickydicky14
    • By trickydicky14 16th Jun 17, 9:18 PM
    • 131 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    trickydicky14
    • 16th Jun 17, 9:18 PM
    • 16th Jun 17, 9:18 PM
    p00hsticks / kingstreet
    thank you that should save me a lot of money.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,637Posts Today

7,223Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin